At what age do you let your daughter do their hair for themselves?

shynessqueen

I know how to do a lot of things with my hair. I have a 7 year old daughter that I"m starting to teach how to box braid. I learn how to box braid with fake hair when i was 10. I showing her now.

At what age do you start teaching/letting your daughter do their own hair?

You know they are going to do things to their hair that you don't want them to do. Are you prepare for that?

I don't want my daughter to every relax her hair but when she gets to a age where she is doing her own hair, i will not have no control over that. I just hope i can deal with it, if she ever does it.

OK i went off topic, sorry.

MizAvalon

I don't have any children but I just had to comment on this.

Ladies please don't let your daughters do their own hair until they actually KNOW how to do their own hair. It's like the kids reach a certain age and the Moms just say, "Ok, you're so and so age now. Good luck!" :perplexed

I think the majority of us can agree that our hair problems began when we started doing it ourselves.

Please teach your daughters properly.

SweetCaramel1

7 sounds like a good age. my little one is 4 and right now she's practicing doing ponytails on her dolls and teddybears.

Mommy's girls

I started taking care of my hair at age 13. I will probably gradually allow my daughters to take over the maitanance of their hair starting at 13 and by 15 they will have learned to properly maintain and style it by themselves- I will then let them have at it.

CAPlush

I don't have any kids so I am not qualified to answer this question, but I think I would let her primp/style her own hair around age 11 or 12 and I would allow her to wash/condition/establish her own regimen around the age of 15 unless she is a whole lot more mature than I was growing up.

guesswho

My daughter is gonna be 16 this month which is in a few days and her is literally just like my hair we braid it up at night I thought her how to moisturize she wears wash and goes I don't want her to relax and she dosent want to she's liking the versatility of pressing when she wants it straight and having that curly option she's been doing for herself about a year now, before that I would have it braided up, and she doing a great job so far.

Puddles

On Cloud 9
[SIZE=+2] My daughter is 13 with natural 3c Mid back hair. She "does not" want to do her hair. I still comb her hair. Since she's not ready....I don't force her. She says it's too much hair for her to comb. [/SIZE]

Nina_deF

I have 3 sons.
My eldest had long hair until he was three, then he wanted it shaved.
My middle son showed an interest in hair very early.
He has long, curly hair, he loves trying out me discarded products, hair commercials for curly heads always gets him going, he uses Motions leave-in and is constantly combing it.
After he's washed it he will use a sleeping cap for a couple of days, he hates when his curls are mushed.
My youngest is only 1½ but loves to comb my hair :)perplexed ) and has a brush as his favorite toy.

I don't think that there is an age, it's more when they are able to.

ladylibra

i say as soon as they start showing some interest, you start teaching. little girls will reach an age where they want to start playing with their dolls' hair and they give you their opinions on how they want their hair styled. let them do little things like wash their hair in the bathtub... they may not do it perfectly but it helps instill confidence that "i can do it!" :grin: take baby steps and let them grow into doing their own hair. let them practice on yours sometimes. okay wait this is LHCF i know y'all aren't going for that... :lachen: but let them practice on dolls or something.

ladylibra

Nina_deF said:
I have 3 sons.
My youngest is only 1½ but loves to comb my hair :)perplexed ) and has a brush as his favorite toy.

OMG that is my 18-month-old son!!! give him a brush and he brush his head, my head, your head... anyone within reach. that and the toothbrush... i've never seen a kid so excited to brush his daggone teeth... :lol:

SignatureBeauty

Right now my daughter who is 11 is really not into doing her own hair at all ,she is Natural with very thick hair that grows fast, I have purchased her some Shampoo bars so she can easily shampoo it while in the shower for me, But I have been keeping her hair cornrowed and the middle out to make it look like a puff, Because if left up to her she will go outside with dry matted hair and won't have a care in the world LOL!!

So hopefully when she gets into Jr High she will, Because I am getting tired of doing hair LOL!!!

locfreeme

My daughter is 13 and she wants to do her hair but she is NOT good at it! I'm slowly teaching her to take care of it. I'm seriously considering setting her up with regular appointments at the dominican salon to make sure her hair stays in good shape (rollersets only) until she's better able to manage it. I'd like her to be responsible for her hair by age 15, or maybe 16 (when she can get a job and decide on her own whether to keep going to the shop or do it herself). But, we'll see.

dlewis

I think about 7th grade. I was in the 4th grade when my mother turn it over to me and all my hair came out. I was not ready to take care of my own hair.

AKA-Tude

Mine started when she was about 9.

She didn't like the 'little girl' styles I did it in (bows & all):eek: , so I told her to do her own hair (the whinning was gettin' on my nerves!!:mad: ).

So she's been handling it ever since.:look:

I also taught her how to flat iron her hair (it's curly), but I also taught her how not to flat iron it so often. I also help her buy the right products for her hair.

She is always in my 'hair stuff' & everything she sees me mixin' up she wants to try.:ohwell:

But she has gotten very savvy in her hair care, coaching her li'l friends too.:lol:

scorpian

My daughter is 9. I let her shampoo and rinse her cond out in the shower but I don't think that she's ready to style her own hair yet.(she wants to though)

I think I'll wait until she's at least 12 or 13 before I let her takeover actually doing her own hair in styles but I do let her choose age appropriate styles to wear that I do for her like ponytails and braids.

I wear a lot of hats and scarves outside so she gets to play in my hair when we're home. She likes to practice twisting and braiding. She plays in my hair more than her dolls.

deontaer

My daughter is 2 and she's already trying to comb her hair (how cute:)). Ironically, my niece was that age when she first started showing a real interest in hair. Now 8, she has 2 barbie heads that she plays with exclusively, and can now conrow hair better than myself and my mother:eek:. She's not ready to do her own hair just yet, but this weekend I was teaching her the importance of keeping her hair clean and moisturized at all times, to always sleep with a satin bonnet or scarf and to call me immediately if her mother comes near her head with another perm (she almost destroyed a beautiful head of hair)!

eyunka

My daughter will be well into high school before she puts her hands in her hair. She is 10 now and I teach her as I'm doing it but I just can't see me handing over that duty until I know for sure she is ready. I don't want all the work I'm putting into her hair to go to waste, so it will be awhile before she puts her fingers in her hair.

I already know there will be some fights but i guess only time will tell if if she will be able to handle it.