Ateeya Has Suffered a Major Setback! Tips of How to Avoid!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazzmommy

Another thing I wanted to add is that it is inevitable that when you take out an install that you had for 2-3 months there will be A LOT of shed hair. Please DO NOT freak out. That's normal. Just remember you're suppose to shed 50-150 strands a day. If your hair has been braided for 2-3 months, your shedded hair will still be there until you detangle. Once you detangle, the hair that you're losing is SHED hair. DO NOT PANIC!!

Good point -- pretty much the same with individual braids if you leave them in that long too. I've had full weaves and they work great as protective styles. :yep:

mrsmeredith

My heart goes out to Ateeya. I know that was heart breaking. And she still showed us what alot of us would be ashamed to do. She admitted her errors (as she sees them) and wanted to show how it affected her. I love her videos and only wish her the best.

Her growth retention would be better if she stop getting her ends clipped all the time. But I like her style besides that. Her hair will be back swanging in no time.

Last edited:

Tootuff

Maybe I am silly too but I had this same misfortune after taking down micro braids in 2006 which led to me to BC to this:

Life is a learning experience and sometimes, as my grandmother use to say, "'the best sense is bought sense".

*closer*2*my*dreams*

I wanted to cry...I can tell she was hurting... I do however believe that her advice, to not massage, part in sections etc. were accurate, but it can't be done until after properly detangling... she just missed that important first step...

she was very upbeat towards the end though, and I praise her for that bc i would have been on my deathbed...

GulfCoastChica

The same exact thing happened to me a few months ago. I got my first sew-in and when I took it down, I just unraveled the braids and got to washing. HORRIBLE mistake...that is why I almost cried when I seen Ateeya's video because it was like I was watching myself. I think people can be a bit too hard on folks. IF hair care was so intuitive and based on pure common sense then we would not need forums like LHCF, would we? I really like Ateeya and she was one of the people who inspired me to take better care of my hair. I found out about all the Aphogee products from watching her videos. Yes, some of her practices are not the greatest but I do think she has a lot of great tips.

I hope her hair grows back quick, fast and in a hurry! I am sure her experience will save a lot of women from repeating what she has done and I commend her for even sharing the video with everyone.

kblc06

A similar incident happened to my friend back october. She had to cut her past APL hair to above ear length. She was literally ready to just shave her head bald and start over :nono:. She went to an Egyptian salon where they did a steam treatment which helped considerably, but she still ended up losing a lot of hair

My heart breaks for Ateeya. Her hair was flourishing, even if she didn't use LHCF approved methods :rolleyes:

Maybe I am silly too but I had this same misfortune after taking down micro braids in 2006 which led to me to BC to this:

Life is a learning experience and sometimes, as my grandmother use to say, "'the best sense is bought sense".

spinspinshuga

I hope you don't reconsider because of this. I've been wearing weaves for quite some time, and this has happened to me before when I didn't know any better. That's the reason behind the tips I posted. You guys can learn from our mistakes. If a weave is properly installed, maintained, and taken down, you will not have a bad experience. What happened to her is preventable.

That's good to hear...I'm just already nervous about having it installed, so watching a take-down go like this made me even more paranoid. These tips are helpful, though.
Is this type of matting more likely if your hair is long? My hair isn't super-long or anything, but it's longer than Ateya's and I'm afraid matting will be more of a potential danger as a result.

Avan207

ok, my hair mats like that all the time esp if i don't comb it in a few day. She didn't need to cut that piece. :nono:. I'd be bald if i cut out every dread!

that is what i was thinking, my daughter is natural and I just use a good silicone conditioner (Motions in the tub!) and love to get through the tangles and snarls, I and feel so sad for her especially because her vids got me on aphogee, but she coulda kept her length it just would have taken some time.

Ediese

The same exact thing happened to me a few months ago. I got my first sew-in and when I took it down, I just unraveled the braids and got to washing. HORRIBLE mistake...that is why I almost cried when I seen Ateeya's video because it was like I was watching myself. I think people can be a bit too hard on folks. IF hair care was so intuitive and based on pure common sense then we would not need forums like LHCF, would we? I really like Ateeya and she was one of the people who inspired me to take better care of my hair. I found out about all the Aphogee products from watching her videos. Yes, some of her practices are not the greatest but I do think she has a lot of great tips.

I hope her hair grows back quick, fast and in a hurry! I am sure her experience will save a lot of women from repeating what she has done and I commend her for even sharing the video with everyone.

Say what now??? You didnt' read the Weave 101 thread? Sorry to hear that happened to you too. Now I really think this thread needs to be a sticky for those of us that aren't aware. This is a common occurrence that can definitely be prevented if the word is out there.

Last edited:

Ediese

That's good to hear...I'm just already nervous about having it installed, so watching a take-down go like this made me even more paranoid. These tips are helpful, though.
Is this type of matting more likely if your hair is long? My hair isn't super-long or anything, but it's longer than Ateya's and I'm afraid matting will be more of a potential danger as a result.

No, the problem with her is that she didn't properly detangle before washing. All of the shed hair that was not combed out when she had the weave got intertwined with her hair after she washed it. That caused the matting. You shouldn't have any problems even if you have longer hair if you properly detangle first prior to washing.

brownelovely

The only thing I find surprising is that she's got such a huge following. Her hair practices are terrible. I feel bad for the girl, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't expecting this video.

I think that she has a great personality and her videos are fun. However, like you said her hair practices aren't the best but I guess they work for her. (?)

I don't know what to say about this situation because I was well informed by my stylist and by doing my research on here and other hair boards on caring for my hair underneath the weave. DETANGLING was the key point. It took me hours but I didn't lose as much hair that I could have lost washing first. :nono: I couldn't even fathom getting through my transitioning hair washing first...no way, I'd have to BC.

Tootuff

A similar incident happened to my friend back october. She had to cut her past APL hair to above ear length. She was literally ready to just shave her head bald and start over :nono:. She went to an Egyptian salon where they did a steam treatment which helped considerably, but she still ended up losing a lot of hair

My heart breaks for Ateeya. Her hair was flourishing, even if she didn't use LHCF approved methods :rolleyes:

I probably could have saved some of my hair but I was so aggravated and it was around 3-4 a.m. so I just grabed the clippers put a guard on them and commenced to cutting my hair and the next morning when I looked in the mirror I was :eek2:. Now I think it's the best thing that happened to my hair because that experience led me to this board.

Jetblackhair

I watched the video and I feel really bad about what happened. Ateeya is always full of energy & to see her like this was awful.

I do applaud Ateeya though for keeping it real with her viewers and allowing them to see what she did wrong.

She is truly helping those who may have attempted to do the same thing after taking down a weave.

Thanks Ediese, your Weave 101 (what not to do) is great.

Lucky's Mom

Oh Dear.....
:pop:

Well, I guess there is no more "Swang" going on....

Poor thing. I feel sorry for her.....

Last edited:

soulie

I have missed the most recent episodes of her video saga; as well as her own hair had been doing according to people here, why did she get a weave anyway?

wannabelong

I feel so sorry for her. If only she had come to LHCF and read about how to properly do a takedown (like I did).

Orissa081

My mouth dropped open when I saw that video-not expecting that at all. I have been wearing weaves for the past 4-5 years and I never was taught good hair practices, it's a miracle that I got hair-anyway for some reason after I took out the weaves I always combed out all knots and tangles, it was just something i did? Anyway I love Ateyaa I would have been bawling, if she takes care of her hair however it will be back to where it was in no time.

http://www.youtube.com/Blackrose081

Lucky's Mom

I knew if I waited long enough, someone would say it. :lachen::lachen::lachen:
SJ that was so cold my nipples are hard.

:look::look:

I only can remember her eternal refrain: " You want that SWANG???"

It is no more, at least for a while.....
It is what it is.... I have had setbacks too....
A part of life.....

GulfCoastChica

Say what now??? You didnt' read the Weave 101 thread? Sorry to hear that happened to you too. Now I really think this thread needs to be a sticky for those of us that aren't aware. This is a common occurrence that can definitely be prevented if the word is out there.

Well honestly I knew nonthing of the "Weave 101" thread. I know my info shows I have been a member for awhile but for the longest I have just been a casual, non-paying lurker. I just started trying to REALLY take care of my hair after the sew-in catastrophe. But I am good now. Another month or two and I think I will be good to go! And yes, this thread is must read for anyone considering get in a sew-in.:yep:

taz007

Although I do not practice Ateeya's regime in any shape or form, I can not believe some of the very mean things that have been said!

Remember what your mama said...

"If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" (at least I hope she said that)

I would NEVER wallow in someone's misery. I only wish the best for her.

I may need to take a break from this board :nono:

jetbeauty09

And her hair never shows any length retention. If you are actively taking good care of your hair, then we should see evidence of growth retention.

I thought the same thing when I first started watching her. I think she's entertaining but I don't follow her hair practices like she's a guru (like you :grin:). You have to have proof before I copy anything.

I feel for her though, the last time I didn't detangle after taking down braids it led to my BC (...that was a good thing, kinda wish it had happened to her that way!!! :ohwell:)

sweetwhispers

Although I do not practice Ateeya's regime in any shape or form, I can not believe some of the very mean things that have been said!

Remember what your mama said...

"If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" (at least I hope she said that)

I would NEVER wallow in someone's misery. I only wish the best for her.

I may need to take a break from this board :nono:

And its the same person everytime:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.