Ateeya Has Suffered a Major Setback! Tips of How to Avoid!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

glamazon386

IMO Ateya had a simple regimen too but w/ heat.

To be honest, I've only watched a few of her videos so I don't even know what her regimen is. I do remember her blow drying and flat ironing which I thought was too much heat especially for relaxed hair (Her hair was maybe NL/SL at the time so that may have been an older video). But that's just me and my opinion. She was using good quality products though. And it did look good when she was done.

Regular use of that much direct heat would not have worked for my fine hair. I know there are people who can use heat and still thrive but for the most part too much heat (especially on relaxed hair) will cause damage inevitably. My mom uses heat on her hair regularly and it stays thick and healthy. But you could probably set her hair on fire and it would still be fine. I can't afford to be losing strands off my already thin head of hair even as a natural. :lol: My hair did 10xs better once I cut out heat. When I was relaxed and went to the salon regularly my stylist did not apply direct heat to anyone's hair unless you had a short haircut that needed to be curled with the marcels. All of her clients hair thrived and retained length and everybody wore their own hair. No weaves, tracks, etc. I could count on my fingers the amount of times I saw her add hair to people's head and that was usually only for a special occasion (prom, weddings, etc.). I can't say that for any of the other salons I've been to. At some places everybody's hair seemed to stay the same length forever. But that just goes to show you, everything is not for everybody and what works for one person may not work for the next one.

glamazon386

I had the same setback a few years ago. The mats were no joke. I lost sooo much hair. I had taken out a weave, detangled it (it was BEAUTIFUL and thicker, longer and just over all WOW), and decided to sleep in conditioner. The sleeping in conditioner with a cap was a HUGE mistake. My fine 4a/b strands matted up QUICK and I had to go from APL to chin length. It happens. There are so many different variables that could cause set backs.

I'm starting to see why some other people get bad impressions of LHCF. They just see what seems to be self-righteousness and to heck with the positive aspects of the board or what it COULD be.

I love Ateeya because she is a beautiful soul. My heart aches for her because I know EXACTLY what this is like.

That's another example of what works for one person may not work for the next. And sometimes your results change drastically from a minor change. One small change can lead to a setback. Sometimes it only takes once. :ohwell:

Ediese

Hey I feel bad for the girl I do. I wouldn't wish that on no one. Her hair is super thick. But all I'm saying though is her hair didn't look healthy when she took the sew in out. Even when she took the braids down. It looked weak and dry and broken off. Especially her nape. I know she is going to recover from this there is no doubt but I was just stating my observation. I think a combo or taking her own sew in down and weak damaged hair attributed to her hair loss.

I know I stopped taking of my hair a LONG time ago LOL. So I am not trying to say my methods are better then her or anything like that all I am saying is her hair looka real bad before the wash. Also I was not sitting around WAITING on this to happen. I don't even come on this board anymore. I don't follow ateeya and could care less what she does to her hair on a day to day basis. But I saw it in the headline and clicked on it. I knew something like this would happen not my fault.

Are you familiar with weaves? No ones hair 'looks' healthy when they first take out their weave. It appears to be dry, and unhealthy. That's usually far from the truth though. I have tons of pics that show my hair in the same state when it's really as healthy as can be. Once I wash and deep condition, it looks just as healthy as it did prior to the weave.

Last edited:

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
I felt so bad for her when I watched that video last night. You could tell how upset she was, poor thing. Her stylist sucks for telling her incorrect information too. I think she could've worked that big matted part out, I think she didn't know she could though and she is doesn't mind cutting her hair.

I made the same mistake after I took out individual braids years ago. I didn't cut the mats out though, I combed the crap outta my hair. I had HUGE balls of hair that came out. My scalp hurt and I cried while I was pulling away at my hair trying to get all the matted hair out- I was determined and I did it. I didn't cut anything. Afterwards, I left conditioner in my hair for like 2 days... thank God I found LHCF. :lol:

kandake

Considering she went through all of that and thought enough about her viewers to share this. I for one would be in the bed - depressed and not wanting to talk or deal with anyone. The beauty of it is that she sounds like she has a very capable stylist and she definitely knows what she needs to do get her "swang" back....

Yeah, I'm looking forward to what he does to her hair.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
Are you familiar with weaves? No ones hair 'looks' healthy when they first take out their weave. It appears to be dry, and unhealthy. That's usually far from the truth though. I have tons of pics that show my hair in the same state when it's as healthy as can go. Once I wash and deep condition, it looks just as healthy as it did prior to the weave.
:thankyou: Was her hair supposed to softly fall into place and look pretty after taking braids out??

glamazon386

Are you familiar with weaves? No ones hair 'looks' healthy when they first take out their weave. It appears to be dry, and unhealthy. That's usually far from the truth though. I have tons of pics that show my hair in the same state when it's really as healthy as can be. Once I wash and deep condition, it looks just as healthy as it did prior to the weave.

You're right. Most of the time it does. Same thing with braids. It looks like a birds nest. I recently found that if you use a heavy moisturizer or butter on the hair as you're braiding it up it'll still be soft and supple once the braids come down. I had my hair braided at a natural hair salon a few times before I sewed the weave in on my own and when I took it down I was pleasantly surprised. Even after washing and airdrying through the weave multiple times over the course of 6-8 weeks it didn't look or feel dry after take down. The only part that was dry was the hair that was left out around the edge to blend. I also stopped using the extra braiding hair because it seemed to zap my hair dry.

ETA: Here's my hair after taking my weave down around the holidays and another one around my birthday. It was in for maybe 6 weeks. I had just taken the cornrows out but had not detangled yet. See how only the hair at the very edge looks dry compared to the rest? That's the part that was left out of the braids. I will definitely continue using the butter beforehand and as it's braided up. It made a big difference.

Those two pictures are a big difference from what it usually looks like. It looked and felt dry and brittle here. This is usually what it would look like after taking a weave down that had been washed and airdied multiple times over a period of 6-8 weeks.

Last edited:

LovinLea

The longer this discussion goes on, the less sympathy I feel for her. When you delve into an area that you are not so familiar with, it would make sense to get your google on. She knows all too well about the hair boards :look:.

To the poster who feels that her 'bad hair care practices' are irrelevant, I say Yeeeesss they are. IMHO, the reluctant nature to change bad hair practices (but beautiful results) in heat styling, led to to overconfidence in other "hair" areas (weaves).

This isn't the first weave she's had. She is a weave/wig queen. She only started doing more things with her hair (switching products, stretching, using less heat, and now this) for her viewers.

Ramya

Oh Lord. I wanted a weave for my trip but now I'm scared. She was relaxed and her hair matted like that and I'm natural so aint no telling what my kinks will decide to do. :(

SmartyPants

I have never had a weave, but I have had braids with extensions. And same thing here. When you take those extensions out, detangle, and deep condition, you can see exactly how healthy your hair is--even though my hair looked exceptionally dry when I first removed the extensions.

glamazon386

Oh Lord. I wanted a weave for my trip but now I'm scared. She was relaxed and her hair matted like that and I'm natural so aint no telling what my kinks will decide to do. :(

Don't be scared. If you take care of your hair properly while your hair is in the weave and take it out properly (and don't leave it in too long) your hair will be fine. I've only experienced mild matting (it was on the corners where the braids turned in the zig zag pattern) with one of my weaves. I got it out with little effort using my denman. But that was my mistake. IMO, I left it in too long and I was cowashing and airdrying every other day. It was too much for my hair to be wet that often. Every time I wet it, my hair expanded from the weight of the water then it contracted as it airdried. And all of this happened while my hair was in cornrows under the weave. And I'm sure the shed hairs got mixed up in there and expanded and contracted from the water too. I never had this problem when my hair was braided straight back vs. zig zag either. So the braid pattern could have contributed too. I probably should have just spritzed the weave hair with a spray bottle or only wet the weave and not let the water get to my hair underneath when cowashing. I should have only gotten my hair and scalp soaked on actual wash days.

If you're going to wash a lot, I wouldn't leave it in longer than 6 weeks. It can lead to matting especially if you let your hair get dry and aren't moisturizing it properly. If you're going to wash say once a week or even once every two weeks it'll be fine. I don't think naturals should go longer than 6-8 weeks though. When I was relaxed I went as long as 10-12 weeks with no problems. I never had matting, lost a lot of hair or had my hair pulled out anywhere. My tangles weren't out of this world either. Nothing a comb couldn't get out. The conditioner just helped the comb glide through dry thirsty hair easier.

Kacie

How do you figure she was uinfamiliar w/ weaves. She has been wearing sew ins waaayyy before you tube.

In one video prior to her install she was just learning about the exisitance of Indian hair. If she was familiar with them then....OK:rolleyes:, my bad.

Last edited:

mrsmeredith

Maybe I just need to take a break, but I'd like to issue this PSA first:

LHCF WAY IS NOT ALWAYS THE RIGHT WAY! STOP CRUCIFYING PEOPLE WHO DON'T BELIEVE IN 365-DAY BUNNING AND ABSTAINING FROM HEAT LIKE A NUN ABSTAINS FROM SEX!

I could almost understand some of the comments if her setback had actually been attributed to using heat and her common daily hair practices. But IT WAS NOT! It was due to a sew-in mishap that even affects people everyday on this very board . I'm sure everyone last person on this board breaks a law from the "LHCF hair bible" on a regular basis. Please let's not make this a bigger issue than it should be. Again I feel for Ateeya...I really do. She was doing what worked FOR HER HAIR and it appeared to be THRIVING (even though it violated the constitution and bylaws of "sound" LHCF logic). I know my hair personally can't take that much heat and I won't be doing so, but if it works for her-more power to her. I'm starting wonder if people were waiting for her supposed "downfall" just so they could say I told you so, when they do everything possible to get the same swang using more outrageous methods.

*drops mic* I'm out.

Can this please be a sticky? I wish there was a double thank you for this one. At the end of that I thought you said @#$@ (in my head anyway) :grin:

Fine 4s

Don't be scared. If you take care of your hair properly while your hair is in the weave and take it out properly (and don't leave it in too long) your hair will be fine. I've only experienced mild matting (it was on the corners where the braids turned in the zig zag pattern) with one of my weaves. I got it out with little effort using my denman. But that was my mistake. IMO, I left it in too long and I was cowashing and airdrying every other day. It was too much for my hair to be wet that often. Every time I wet it, my hair expanded from the weight of the water then it contracted as it airdried. And all of this happened while my hair was in cornrows under the weave. And I'm sure the shed hairs got mixed up in there and expanded and contracted from the water too. I never had this problem when my hair was braided straight back vs. zig zag either. So the braid pattern could have contributed too. I probably should have just spritzed the weave hair with a spray bottle or only wet the weave and not let the water get to my hair underneath when cowashing. I should have only gotten my hair and scalp soaked on actual wash days.

If you're going to wash a lot, I wouldn't leave it in longer than 6 weeks. It can lead to matting especially if you let your hair get dry and aren't moisturizing it properly. If you're going to wash say once a week or even once every two weeks it'll be fine. I don't think naturals should go longer than 6-8 weeks though. When I was relaxed I went as long as 10-12 weeks with no problems. I never had matting, lost a lot of hair or had my hair pulled out anywhere. My tangles weren't out of this world either. Nothing a comb couldn't get out. The conditioner just helped the comb glide through dry thirsty hair easier.

How to you keep your hair moisturized when it's UNDER a sew in or how to you dry it properly when it's UNDER a sew in. What does properly really mean with respect to weaves or proper weave maintenance? If I can understand that, I think I'll be less afraid. I've heard one person say they sat under the dryer but what's the difference with airdrying if the purpose is simply to get the hair dry?

Demi27

I've actually been able to moisturize my hair under weaves (when I DID wear them). I actually would put moisturizer in a bottle with a nozzle and put the moisturizer on the braids.

Also, I've used braid spray (by lifting up the tracks). That has worked for me too.

I haven't read this entire thread yet. Ateya was getting growth when she had the glue in weave (even though I would never put glue back in my hair). She was doing so well. I need to go and wee the video.

Kudos to her for letting everyone see her set back, though.

kryolnapps

Wow! She is sooo brave! I've been there. I ruined a year's worth of growth by taking down 2 month old braids and heading straight for the shower, thinking that my then beloved CON shampoo would help me out. I ended up in a fetal position in a corner of the shower crying over a solid mass of hair stuck together in the middle of my head. The combination of new growth and relaxed hair seemed cemented together. I tried everything, nothing worked. I had to cut and start again. It was an awful feeling. I learned my lesson and the following times I used a removal spray just like I do with braids.

That`s why I like Youtube and hairboards: it`s a wonderfull thin when sisters (and sometimes brothers) can teach each other about what to do and what not to do when it comes to our hair. We can take some and leave some.

glamazon386

How to you keep your hair moisturized when it's UNDER a sew in or how to you dry it properly when it's UNDER a sew in. What does properly really mean with respect to weaves or proper weave maintenance? If I can understand that, I think I'll be less afraid. I've heard one person say they sat under the dryer but what's the difference with airdrying if the purpose is simply to get the hair dry?

You can DC while it's in. You can also spray the braids with moisturizer/braid spray/leave in conditioner. Whenever I had my weave washed at a salon they had me sit under a hooded dryer. If there were any damp spots left they blasted it with a blowdrier. I've always airdried mine when I washed it at home and never had any problems. I usually just wash in the am and let it dry throughout the course of the day. I wouldn't wash it at night and sleep on wet hair. It seems like it would get waterlogged and not dry all the way.

I've heard some people say that when they airdried the hair took too long to dry underneath and got moldy and smelly. I guess it depends on your hair. I've read naturals post that their hair takes forever to dry. Especially with product in. Mine doesn't dry all the way in the middle if I wet bun. I've taken it down 2 or 3 days later and it was still damp in the middle. I think it's the gel/product that causes hair to hold water. My hair dries pretty fast without product or when left loose. So I can imagine if somebody has a lot of hair or very thick hair why it may take a long time to air dry under a weave. It also depends on how much weave hair they installed. The more hair installed the more water logged your head will be. Curly hair holds more water than straight hair too. You could always sit under the dryer for a little while and let it air dry the rest of the way. Or blowdry the damp spots.

ETA: For me, regular weave maintenance includes the following:

1. Buy a decent quality hair.
2. Don't have it installed too tight.
3. Wash and DC once every week or every 2 weeks.
4. Airdry and style. Don't weigh the weave hair down with a lot of products.
5. Tie it up at night. Keep both your real hair and the weave hair moisturized. The weave will last longer and you need to take care of your own hair underneath anyway.

I don't really do anything different regimen wise to my hair whether it's loose or weaved. I wash and DC once a week and airdry. I typically don't cowash my own hair but sometimes I do with curly weaves. I will cowash or rinse it every few days just to refresh the curl pattern. But it depends on the hair. Some hair will require it, and others will not. I never cowash my straight weaves. I also usually stretch washing to 2 weeks with straight hair. Also, if your weave was done at a salon you can go back biweekly for a wash/style and tightening. It will also extend the life of your weave. If I had tracks loose or braids unraveling my stylist would fix it when I came in for a wash.

ETA: My stylist also rinsed my scalp with Sea Breeze and gave me a deep treatment when I came in for weave maintenance. That helping with itching. Some stylists don't bother or don't know you can DC through the weave. Or they'll tell you not to because it'll make the style look old fast. Shoot some people still think you can't wash your hair in a weave let alone DC. Some of them don't even want to DC your own hair. And a lot of people think you can just slap a weave in your head, leave it in for 3 months and do nothing else to it. Then they wonder why their hair is jacked when they take it out. :nono: You still have to take care of it.

Last edited:

MAMATO

In one video prior to her install she was just learning about the exisitance of Indian hair. If she was familiar with them then....OK:rolleyes:, my bad.

I used to wear weaves years ago and since I've found LHCF I did them twice last year all by myself and take them out all by myself. Although I've done them so many times I'd not be able to tell you what an Indian hair is. Every time I buy them I just go to the BSS and ask for recommendations, I mean the best quality for the price I am willing to pay. My weaves are always great, but I have no clue about the different brands, types on the market. I just pick the one that is nice, good quality and affordable at the moment I am buying it...

MAMATO

THIS.........................

Right ... Some people here dont realize how mean their comments can be:ohwell: Honestly I prefer Ateya's thick and banging Bob to a see-through WL hair. It is not always about length for me, my hair has to be beautiful and :lick: as well:yep:

mkd

Right ... Some people here dont realize how mean their comments can be:ohwell: Honestly I prefer Ateya's thick and banging Bob to a see-through WL hair. It is not always about length for me, my hair has to be beautiful and :lick: as well:yep:
I totally agree with this. I think a lot of times people get way to caught in length and their hair does not look pretty IMO. I would much rather my hair look healthy and shorter than long and see through.

wannabelong

There is no reason to be afraid of getting a weave. Just make sure you take care of your hair underneath while wearing the weave AND make sure when you take it down, you DETANGLE BEFORE you wash it. You'll be fine.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
I'm still not understanding why so many people are not "pro swang"- I love when my hair has swang to it. I can understand naturals that don't use heat... but some people were talking about having "swang" like somebody cursed at their mother or something. :ohwell:

Auburn

Maybe I just need to take a break, but I'd like to issue this PSA first:

LHCF WAY IS NOT ALWAYS THE RIGHT WAY! STOP CRUCIFYING PEOPLE WHO DON'T BELIEVE IN 365-DAY BUNNING AND ABSTAINING FROM HEAT LIKE A NUN ABSTAINS FROM SEX!

I could almost understand some of the comments if her setback had actually been attributed to using heat and her common daily hair practices. But IT WAS NOT! It was due to a sew-in mishap that even affects people everyday on this very board . I'm sure everyone last person on this board breaks a law from the "LHCF hair bible" on a regular basis. Please let's not make this a bigger issue than it should be. Again I feel for Ateeya...I really do. She was doing what worked FOR HER HAIR and it appeared to be THRIVING (even though it violated the constitution and bylaws of "sound" LHCF logic). I know my hair personally can't take that much heat and I won't be doing so, but if it works for her-more power to her. I'm starting wonder if people were waiting for her supposed "downfall" just so they could say I told you so, when they do everything possible to get the same swang using more outrageous methods.

*drops mic* I'm out.

I agree with you here. I dont want to be negative and maybe Im wrong but her hair didnt seem to be "thriving" to me. Her hairline is evidence of it unless she has a condition. I hope yall dont mean having "swang" shows how "healthy" it is because almost anyone can get that "swang"
. Could anyone tell me what yall mean by thriving?

Fine 4s

You can DC while it's in. You can also spray the braids with moisturizer/braid spray/leave in conditioner. Whenever I had my weave washed at a salon they had me sit under a hooded dryer. If there were any damp spots left they blasted it with a blowdrier. I've always airdried mine when I washed it at home and never had any problems. I usually just wash in the am and let it dry throughout the course of the day. I wouldn't wash it at night and sleep on wet hair. It seems like it would get waterlogged and not dry all the way.

I've heard some people say that when they airdried the hair took too long to dry underneath and got moldy and smelly. I guess it depends on your hair. I've read naturals post that their hair takes forever to dry. Especially with product in. Mine doesn't dry all the way in the middle if I wet bun. I've taken it down 2 or 3 days later and it was still damp in the middle. I think it's the gel/product that causes hair to hold water. My hair dries pretty fast without product or when left loose. So I can imagine if somebody has a lot of hair or very thick hair why it may take a long time to air dry under a weave. It also depends on how much weave hair they installed. The more hair installed the more water logged your head will be. Curly hair holds more water than straight hair too. You could always sit under the dryer for a little while and let it air dry the rest of the way. Or blowdry the damp spots.

ETA: For me, regular weave maintenance includes the following:

1. Buy a decent quality hair.
2. Don't have it installed too tight.
3. Wash and DC once every week or every 2 weeks.
4. Airdry and style. Don't weigh the weave hair down with a lot of products.
5. Tie it up at night. Keep both your real hair and the weave hair moisturized. The weave will last longer and you need to take care of your own hair underneath anyway.

I don't really do anything different regimen wise to my hair whether it's loose or weaved. I wash and DC once a week and airdry. I typically don't cowash my own hair but sometimes I do with curly weaves. I will cowash or rinse it every few days just to refresh the curl pattern. But it depends on the hair. Some hair will require it, and others will not. I never cowash my straight weaves. I also usually stretch washing to 2 weeks with straight hair. Also, if your weave was done at a salon you can go back biweekly for a wash/style and tightening. It will also extend the life of your weave. If I had tracks loose or braids unraveling my stylist would fix it when I came in for a wash.

ETA: My stylist also rinsed my scalp with Sea Breeze and gave me a deep treatment when I came in for weave maintenance. That helping with itching. Some stylists don't bother or don't know you can DC through the weave. Or they'll tell you not to because it'll make the style look old fast. Shoot some people still think you can't wash your hair in a weave let alone DC. Some of them don't even want to DC your own hair. And a lot of people think you can just slap a weave in your head, leave it in for 3 months and do nothing else to it. Then they wonder why their hair is jacked when they take it out. :nono: You still have to take care of it.

Thanks Glam...

Can you give me more help? I'm not familiar with the weaving process and so I can't visualize HOW one would DC braids when there's stuff on top of the braids. I would be soooooooo grateful to receive a step by step picture guide on how to properly DC hair (am I asking too much?)
HOW does one get to the braid to DC or moisturize? Someone mentioned 'lifting' the weave. I can't visualize this either since in my mind the hair is sewn, what am I grabbing to lift, am I pulling the thread and thus pulling my hair? And is it understood that all the hair cannot benefit from a DC since the hair is braided restricting penetration of the product? Can one do a protein treatment? a mild one of course....questions, question, questions....

Ediese

FYI..she never said she was new to weaves. She said that she was new to indian hair. Big difference. I think that's where you're mixing things up. She has been wearing hair that she would purchase from the beauty supply store (bss). The bss weave is not indian. Weaves that you purchase in bss stores are processed, less quality, and some brands use synthetic fibers and other fillers to make it.

The indian hair that she purchased for the first time is virgin indian hair that has never been processed. It's actually becoming a new phenom for a lot of women.

beans08

You're right. Most of the time it does. Same thing with braids. It looks like a birds nest. I recently found that if you use a heavy moisturizer or butter on the hair as you're braiding it up it'll still be soft and supple once the braids come down.

This is so true. I used a really good moisturizer the last time I had cornrow extensions, and besides the fact that my hair was dirty it almost looked like a pretty braid out. When I was just using grease on my hair my take-out would look crazy and bad. I never left braids in long enough for my hair to mat up.

MAMATO

I dont know for others but when I see Ateyaa or Macherieamour or others combing their dry hair intensively with a paddle brush and a fine tooth comb without breakage I am like:shocked: And their hair is still thick and beautiful:drool:... Honestly how many of us on LHCF can do so :pinocchio THAT is thriving hair for me:yep:

Status
Not open for further replies.