Aveda Black Malva Shampoo and Conditioner Review (kinda long)

HoneyDew

Okay, as promised I am going to post my review of this set.

Right now I am sitting under the dryer with the conditioner on. I am going to sit for 10 min under medium heat and 10 min under low heat.

So far I like the way the conditioner is making my hair feel. This conditioner looks JUST LIKE a semi-perm color rinse as you put it in!!! It's crazy actually. You would swear you are applying color to your hair.

At this point, the true test to see if the conditioner is a keeper will be

- Shine and color enhancement effects and
- Softness for my airdrying success(no hard, tangled hair)

Now, the shampoo, I did not like :nono: For me, a shampoo has to make my hair feel soft and sleek and give me slip. I need my hair to feel the same way it does with I use my Kenra Clarifying and Porosity Control shampoo double team.

This Black Malva shampoo DID NOT give me any slip. :perplexed As a matter of fact, my hair felt stringy and not so soft. I give it a thumbs down for that reason!! I ended up going over it with my Kenra and Porosity Control shampoos - ahhhh felt like normal again.

It seems like it may be better if I am freshly relaxed, though. Right now I have about 1/2 inch or more of NG, and my hair (texlaxed) was already poofed up after getting caught in the rain last night and working out today. I would say I'd like to give it another try, but I am hard on products - if it does not work the 1st time, I take it back!!!

I am taking the shampoo back and trade it in for my Universal Styling Creme. :grin:

I will update you guys on the conditioner. :)

Last edited:

camellia

Thanks for updating so far. :) Did the conditioner stain your hands and bathtub or sink the way a hair dye would?

HoneyDew

camellia said:
Thanks for updating so far. :) Did the conditioner stain your hands and bathtub or sink the way a hair dye would?

I used gloves while putting it on. Some got in my sink and it easily rinsed away with water.

I am going to rinse out the conditioner now and will see how it goes in the shower.

Tee

Thanks for the review. I was waiting on it.
*You pulled out the gloves right?*

Tee

HoneyDew said:
I used gloves while putting it on. Some got in my sink and it easily rinsed away with water.

I am going to rinse out the conditioner now and will see how it goes in the shower.

Okay, I didnt see your post before I posted mine. *USC is always a great replacement.*:D (I want the Pomade now but I am staying calm and trying not to trip back in the Aveda store again.)

HoneyDew

Okay, conditioner rinsed and leave-ins applied.

My tub got stained, but cleaned away with cleanser and a sponge.

My hair is definitely darker. I guess I will really be able to see it after it dries and is styled.

My hair did not feel totally conditioned although my curls and waves were tamed, which was nice. My hair was not tangled - just not as soft as I like.

I had to follow it up with a rinse with one of my regular conditioners for a few min.

I think I will try it again after my next touch up. I really cannot see this one being my regular conditioners. Just good for a little color enhancement.

I think I will keep the conditioner, but I am not sure I will repurchase it. We'll see. I did not see any fireworks with this set.

(Yes Letitia, you know an extra tube of USC is never a bad thing. :))

HoneyDew

Okay, I airdried my hair and now I am flatironing it. I am about 1/4 done but had to just post here! I love the deepness in color. I can now really tell that my hair is darker. It is also very soft and flatironing is a BREEZE. I am shampooing my hair again on Wednesday and I will let you guys know if the color remains.

camellia

Great!:D

Thanks so much for posting this. I'm going to get some of the conditioner for my Mom the next time I go to Aveda.

LovelyLionessa

camellia said:
Great!:D

Thanks so much for posting this. I'm going to get some of the conditioner for my Mom the next time I go to Aveda.

The conditioner is amazing. The poo is nice, but all the coloring magic happens with the conditioner.

HoneyDew

Okay, the more I do my hair the more I am like :shocked:

Okay, the color is amazing, but even the quality of my hair is great!! It was conditioning after all. I would not have skipped the rinse with one of my regular conditioners, but this Black Malva conditioner really did condition my hair after all.

All I have to say is AVEDA IS WONDERFUL. I mean, every product line I have tried from them has proved to provide me with at least one more amazing staple. The products are well worth the price!!

I think I am going to take back the shampoo and use it towards another tube of the conditioner.

Tee

I was waiting on your last update. Okay, sounds like I might end up tripping back into Aveda again tomorrow!! I need something to help with the color of my hair so I can see this a new product I NEED rather than something I just want. (You see how I justified all that in my head! lol) Thanks Honey Dew!

Isis

As a longtime Aveda fan, I had to check in here. Somehow I missed it!!Thank you so much HoneyDew for sharing your review and experience. :)

I just got off the phone with an Aveda stylist to see if she had some in stock. She said this conditioner is very safe for chemically treated hair and is not permanent. She said it also covers gray (for those who want that option). She said use the conditioner until you get the color you want, then you can skip a few times. It must be eventually repeated though, even if just the roots.

There are also other colors like Clove for medium brown (with organic coffee added) and another with henna called Madder Root for red highlights. The Black Malva also has black tea and it good for brunettes as well as those with black hair. :) She said some people mix the colors too. :think: The colors are made from all natural ingredients--no ammonia or peroxide added.

I may check this out before my next henna treatment. :yep: I'll see if I can get a free sample of another color while I'm there too. ;)

ETA: This product reminds me of "henna glosses" but with other natural plants plus conditioner.

Last edited:

Isis

bravenewgirl87 said:
Ay Yi Yi! I just don't like Aveda products.... Maybe they don't work well on relaxed hair. Anyone knows?
Do you mean this shampoo and conditioner or other Aveda products? Honey Dew has relaxed hair and it worked great. The stylist I spoke to says it works well with relaxed hair - no peroxide or ammonia.:)

I've used other Aveda products on my relaxed hair for many years now. The Aveda Brilliant line has been referred to in the past as the "Black Line" and is great on relaxed and natural black hair.

Last edited:

Tee

Isis said:
Do you mean this shampoo and conditioner or other Aveda products? Honey Dew has relaxed hair and it worked great. The stylist I spoke to says it works well with relaxed hair - no peroxide or ammonia.:)

I've used other Aveda products on my relaxed hair for many years now. The Aveda Brilliant line has been referred to in the past as the "Black Line" and is great on relaxed and natural black hair.

Is that why the lady kept pushing the Brilliant products on me! :lol:

Honestly she said, the Sap Moss Poo is Great but it's better to buy the Brilliant Conditioner because it has more moisture boost than the Sap Moss Conditioner.

To the poster who asked about relaxed hair.......I am relaxed and I haven't came across an Aveda product that I dont like.

LovelyLionessa

I am relaxed and I love Aveda. The USC is amazing and the Black Malva line is fantastic. To me the quality of Aveda products is unlike any other line I've tried. Very innovative.

Isis

Letitia said:
Is that why the lady kept pushing the Brilliant products on me! :lol:

Honestly she said, the Sap Moss Poo is Great but it's better to buy the Brilliant Conditioner because it has more moisture boost than the Sap Moss Conditioner.

To the poster who asked about relaxed hair.......I am relaxed and I haven't came across an Aveda product that I dont like.
:lol: @ the bolded. That could be why! :lol:

HoneyDew

Isis said:
As a longtime Aveda fan, I had to check in here. Somehow I missed it!!Thank you so much HoneyDew for sharing your review and experience. :)

I just got off the phone with an Aveda stylist to see if she had some in stock. She said this conditioner is very safe for chemically treated hair and is not permanent. She said it also covers gray (for those who want that option). She said use the conditioner until you get the color you want, then you can skip a few times. It must be eventually repeated though, even if just the roots.

There are also other colors like Clove for medium brown (with organic coffee added) and another with henna called Madder Root for red highlights. The Black Malva also has black tea and it good for brunettes as well as those with black hair. :) She said some people mix the colors too. :think: The colors are made from all natural ingredients--no ammonia or peroxide added.

I may check this out before my next henna treatment. :yep: I'll see if I can get a free sample of another color while I'm there too. ;)

ETA: This product reminds me of "henna glosses" but with other natural plants plus conditioner.

I am VERY happy with the color. I am still surprised at how well it worked. I just can't stay out of the mirror checking the color to see if I am just going crazy. :)

HoneyDew

Priestess said:
I am relaxed and I love Aveda. The USC is amazing and the Black Malva line is fantastic. To me the quality of Aveda products is unlike any other line I've tried. Very innovative.

I agree. I have been very impressed with their products.

mango387

bravenewgirl87 said:
Ay Yi Yi! I just don't like Aveda products.... Maybe they don't work well on relaxed hair. Anyone knows?

I have been using Aveda color shampoos since high school, and I have always loved them relaxed or natural. At the same time, I used the Deep Penetrating Hair Revitalizer now with a relaxer, and I abhorred it. I loved it as a natural and I was hoping for the same results. Now, I believe that Aveda is hit/miss with my relaxed hair.

MissScarlett

I've used this shampoo and conditioner to enhance my dark hair color. I know what you mean about the way the shampoo makes your hair feel, its a 'different' feeling, not slippery but I just chalked it up to the bark or whatever was in it:lol: Now the conditioner was great. I might go back and try it again this summer....it gives your hair a color and depth to it.

I have always liked aveda products.

bravenewgirl87

MissScarlett said:
I've used this shampoo and conditioner to enhance my dark hair color. I know what you mean about the way the shampoo makes your hair feel, its a 'different' feeling, not slippery but I just chalked it up to the bark or whatever was in it:lol: Now the conditioner was great. I might go back and try it again this summer....it gives your hair a color and depth to it.

It barks! What does it do next... maul you?! Ahhhhhhh!:eek::shocked:

HoneyDew

MissScarlett said:

MissScarlett - your hair :love:

I think I am going to try the shampoo again when I have less NG. Right now my roots will only deal with my Porosity Control shampoo.

Last edited:

BrownBetty

bravenewgirl87 said:
Maybe one day.... i said, "maybe"... i might join the Aveda revolution again... But Sap Moss Scarred me right now.

Girl me too... I was so scarred by that mess! But I loooove the aveda DR, USC ...