Aww I'ma telllllllllll!!! Curve Salon is Lying!!!

Nonpareil

Aww I\'ma telllllllllll!!! Curve Salon is Lying!!!

Um, I could be wrong but I really don't think so... Has anyone noticed how the Curve Salon before/afters have changed? They seem to be showing the results of Curly Pudding more than their silkeners? Now CP is pretty good stuff (although I hate hate hate the way it makes my hair feel!!!) and it does help with defining curls, but there is no way that people are going from thick 4b bushes, to neat and shiny 3b/3c 'dos without some sort of chemical intermediate. I'm not dumb.

To top it off, two or more of the before/afters that were previously featured as being obtained with "silkeners" are now said to have been obtained with Curly Pudding. The price keeps going higher on the product too - perhaps they really are having some financial issues and getting desperate...

D - E - C - E - P - T - I - O - N. /images/graemlins/angeldevil.gif

Allandra

Re: Aww I\'ma telllllllllll!!! Curve Salon is Lying!!!

Do you know anyone that's gone to Curve Salon?

stryed

I think it has more to do with their techniques of stretching out the curls under heat lamps than it does their gel. I am able to make my nappy/coily/bushy hair (4b) look like longer, more uniformly defined "curls" using my own curl elongating technique and whatever gel is handy. No chemicals required. It's all about technique.

model_chick717

I agree, virtuasis--it seems like they're trying to push the products more than the Silkener--which use to be they're claim to fame. I think because I'm sure they get so many people visiting the website--the easiest thing to "peddle" is the products since you have to make an appointment, give a deposit, yada yada for any other service... /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

cutebajangirl

A little OT but ... Stryed- What is your techinique for curls? I messed up my curls two nights ago so I am thinking about paying them a visit.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time

I definately think they're trying to push the Curly Pudding more, but it's very possible at least for my hair to look completely different just using different techniques after I washed it. I'm thinking about allowing hair to dry in a tight bun, braids/twists, twirl curls around my fingers, slightly stretch the curls while blowdrying them etc. My hair looks very big when I just wash, condition and airdry. And if I, on top of that, would comb out all my hair it would be a big fro for sure.

pressncurl

Yes, stryed, do share! What is your curl defining technique?

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL

[ QUOTE ]
I agree, virtuasis--it seems like they're trying to push the products more than the Silkener--which use to be they're claim to fame. I think because I'm sure they get so many people visiting the website--the easiest thing to "peddle" is the products since you have to make an appointment, give a deposit, yada yada for any other service... /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed!! But I still am dying to go.. lol I don't think I'd get a silkener.. I'm transitioning and my hair is not thick at all! But I would love to go just to have them cut and style my hair..

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL

[ QUOTE ]
I going on Nov 4th. I tried to get an earlier appt but I couldn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

OH MAN!! You lucky dog you!!! I can't wait till you go.. be sure to post pics when you get home and give us all of the details..

How much did they say it will be? I heard on NC that they raised their prices. What are you getting done?? I'm so excited and I'm not the one going..lol I just want to hear all about it when you get back /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Do you live in NY?

cutebajangirl

I live in NYC and I'll get done what ever will make me able to wear my hair curly all the time. So basically unless they say cut it all off, I will go with whatever they say.

ETA: I'm really bored with my hair now but I guess that is obvious. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

stryed

When I want my hair to dry with stretched "curls", the night before I braid it in about 10-15 braids (the greater the number of braids, the more separated and stretched the curls). While braiding, I make sure to comb out each section so that no tangles or shed hair remains (however, I only use a wide tooth comb). The next morning, I take out the braids, dump a boatload of conditioner on and rinse. No combing/brushing/manhandling the hair unless you want to have a bush (which I sometimes do). I then take a thick gel, I love ORS Lock & Twist gel (I mix in about 4 tbsps of coconut oil to make it a very moisturizing gel), and with my hair SOPPING wet, I pile gobs of gel in. I then get back in the shower and rinse it lightly. I then shake it a little and use a diffuser to dry sections while VERY gently pulling them taut at the base. I dry just enough so that I am not dripping and that's it.

This is a very long and drawn out routine which is why I only do it on occasion, but it does work to make my hair look like the curve "afters".

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL

[ QUOTE ]
I live in NYC and I'll get done what ever will make me able to wear my hair curly all the time. So basically unless they say cut it all off, I will go with whatever they say.

ETA: I'm really bored with my hair now but I guess that is obvious. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a plan.. you better post pics though!! I'm so excited to see..lol

Carefree

Thanks for sharing your method Stryed- I'm going to try that. Usually when I go for the elongated curl look I'll wash my hair, apply gel or styling product, sit under the dryer for about 15 min, then diffuse my hair while stretching out sections of my hair for about 5 min. This takes a long time so I only do it once in a while as well. My friend went to Curve last weekend and she said they used this technique - I think this is what they call fingerstyling. She also said they used a ton of Curly Pudding on her hair. Anyway, though expensive, she was thoroughly impressed and satisfied with their services. I heard the deposit went up to $75 though!

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL

How much did they charge your friend for their services? If you don't mind me asking.. Did she have that "silkener" done or no?? Yah, I just want to go to kinda "learn" how to do my hair once it's all natural.. and a trip to NY wouldn't hurt either...lol

Carefree

[ QUOTE ]
How much did they charge your friend for their services? If you don't mind me asking.. Did she have that "silkener" done or no?? Yah, I just want to go to kinda "learn" how to do my hair once it's all natural.. and a trip to NY wouldn't hurt either...lol

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what the total ended up being. She didn't get a silkener, she just got a cut and fingerstyling - I'm sure she payed more than $200. She made her appt when the deposit was still $50 though. I think someone on naturallycurly said their cuts are $250 and up depending on the length and thickness of your hair.

That's funny I kinda just wanted to go once as well just to learn the technique. Once I see a style done once I usually can replicate it. But from what my friend told me, I've been doing their fingerstyling technique all along /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what the total ended up being. She didn't get a silkener, she just got a cut and fingerstyling - I'm sure she payed more than $200. She made her appt when the deposit was still $50 though. I think someone on naturallycurly said their cuts are $250 and up depending on the length and thickness of your hair.

That's funny I kinda just wanted to go once as well just to learn the technique. Once I see a style done once I usually can replicate it. But from what my friend told me, I've been doing their fingerstyling technique all along /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

WOW $200 and she didn't get a silkener..just a cut and style.. DAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!!

I saw that girl's post on Naturally Curly..that's why I asked how much it was since that girl said how the prices went up.. I still might try to go just to "learn" how to do my hair... is this place really not in a decent neighborhood??

alibi

hair bored

I think another reason why they're pushing the Curly Pudding even more is that a lot of the people that actually went to the trouble of transitioning from a relaxer of doing the BC don't want to put chemicals back in their hair, so it gives other styling options.

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL

Good point..I was just thinking the same thing.. which is the reason why I don't think I want a silkener.. All this trouble to transition.. I just want to be able to use products, hopefully w/o a chemical, to style my hair..

Ayeshia

i wouldnt benefit from that salon..my twist outs look like their finger styles /images/graemlins/laugh.gif Ill save my moula

options

I noticed that, too, Virtuasis. It seems like the before and afters, for the most part, have had some type of chemical manipulation, but the descriptions just say it was the Curly Pudding or Buttercreme that did it. I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now. It is indeed quite deceptive and misleading.