Ayurvedic ladies - Are powders necessary?

yodie

I love the oil rinses, but are the powders necessary for growth?

Have any of you seen great results from using the oils alone?

Also, are there any ayurvedic powders that turn your hair red, besides henna?

PassionFruit

I mostly use the oils as sealants & massage agents... I know Egyptians and others used oils to clean skin ( a practice I used on my own children at birth) so I imagine the Ayurvedic oils can clean & condition the same as the powders

yodie

Thanks for responding. I wonder if the powders are necessary for growth.

Anyone else have any experience with just the oils?

winnettag

I use both, but the oils and powders both say they do the same thing. I think if you're doing scalp massages with the oils you'll see benefits.
The strength of your hair should improve, helping to retain length and i would think it would help with growth rate too.

yodie

I use both, but the oils and powders both say they do the same thing. I think if you're doing scalp massages with the oils you'll see benefits.
The strength of your hair should improve, helping to retain length and i would think it would help with growth rate too.

Thanks Winnettag! I'll stick with the oils for now.

Neroli

I think the powders and oils serve different purposes and each have their own merit. For examble

1. powders = color and clean. I use henna, indigo, shikaika, and amla powders regularly and I love them and they color, clean and condition my hair in a way that oils just can't do that.

2. oils = seal and lubricate. I have used amla oil and while it is very very good and I still use it, it cannot replace the amla powder for conditioning my hair and the powders cannot seal and lubricate.

I hope it makes sense . . .

jamaraa

No, powders aren't necessary. They are useful and they can certainly help maximize growth and retention, but plenty of people have gotten great results w/o using all this stuff. So yes, it is possible to get good result w/o alot of fuss.