Bagging Whole Head HELP!

Im currently under the dryer deep conditioning my hair. My cousin is a hair dresser and she told me my hair is on the dryer side this weekend when I went to see her, I also have been experiencing some breakage. I would like to baggy my whole head tonight with african pride daily doctor and isoplus castor oil to seal. Can anyone who has done this please give me some pointers on what to do, expect and some tips to make things go a little bit smoother?

THANKS!

You may want to look at the products you're using. Many commercial products use ingredients that dry hair out, and with consistent use, can cause major breakage. I've identified some ingredients that I shouldn't use, like aloe vera, wheat protein, glycerin, etc. Now, I use natural products and moisturize with shea butter. My hair is much stronger and moisturized. Your hair wont' improve overnight with a deep condition unfortunately. Identify the culprits and you will see the improvement over time.

I would look at the products you are using for shampoo and conditioning. I would move to more co-washing with a moisturizing shampoo. You may be using products with too much protein. I use V05 silk moistures moisturizing condish (sp?) and DC with ORS Replinshing condish. Also, I use the kimmaytube(you tube) leave in and seal with coconut oil or shea butter. You can try to prepoo overnight with condish and EVOO on wash days.

I'm actually doing that right now. :grin: I did a pre-poo protein treatment because I'm getting a sew-in on Friday. I shampooed and parted my hair and put conditioner on each small section to make sure my hair was thoroughly conditioned. I detangled with a with a wide tooth comb. I then wrapped it, like I wrap my dry hair to go to sleep. I then got some saran wrap and wrapped around the sides and got another piece on top. I then wrapped my head in a tight scarf to make sure the saran wrap doesn't come out at night. I'll rinse in the morning.

HTH!

Yeah, if I didn't have a problem conditioning overnight, I'd do what BGT is doing, but my scalp cannot stand to have any products on it, especially not if there's a baggy over my head for a whole night. :nono: So when I baggy, I baggy bare hair. I just wash, condition (or DC), rinse...then towel dry and airdry. At bed time, put on a plastic cap, Saran wrap or a plastic bag and call it a night. My hair stays soft, and I just take any dry feeling as a sign I need to wash my hair again. I rarely get that "dry feeling" though coz I wash my hair every 3 days or so. (BTW, I do the bare hair baggying coz I am not combing my hair at all; it's in braids.)

If I'm wearing my hair out, I use S Curl as my moisturizer coz it helps the comb glide through my hair with ease, then I put my hair in plaits at night and then baggy. I usually don't need to reapply S Curl again until wash day as long as I baggy.

I have never been a fan of using too many products, but if I was a newbie to baggying and didn't know where to start, BGT's method sounds safe.

BTW, I don't know much about products but oils never agreed with me. A water-based moisturizer is what softens my hair, hence S Curl.

I agree with Nonie, I normally baggy with Qhemet Burdock Root Creme and S-Curl. I loveeeeeeeeeeee S-Curl! It has helped me cure my moisture problem. That and baggying.

Baggy Method was one of the first techniques tried since joining LHCF. My hair was breaking but I didn't know it at the time as I was mistakening it for shedding. Now I know how to tell the difference.

I whole head baggy'd for about a week and it quickly corrected my lack of moisture. Now that I'm using better prods and m&s daily, I find that constant overnight baggy'n is just too much for my hair as it weakens the strands. A modified baggy method works best and I usually do it daily (at night) -- I part hair in 4 sections, apply prods -- usually Scurl, HE LTR split end protector -- baggy for a few hours. Remove plastic cap, seal, place scarf on, call it a night. This method is discussed here -- http://www.hairliciousinc.com/2008/05/truth-about-baggying.html

These maybe helpful also
Baggy Challenge -- http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=481734
Full Head Baggy Method - http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=122820

HTH

ETA: My suggestion -- whole head baggy for a defined period to up the moisture and incorporate m&s in your reg to retain the moisture. Find prods that soften and nicely moisturizes your hair. Scurl is by far the best for my hair for day 2 day moisturizing without making it greasy. I use other leave-ins on wash day but Scurl is my day 2 day prod. I use HE LTR daily as well, mostly for the smell, and it helps to smooth my strands. My hair likes cones if I use in moderation. And, I use Aphogee 2min weekly. I mix a 1 tbsp in my DC mixture. This helps to keep my moisture/protein balanced.

Last edited:
Back