Based on the ingredients

Would you use this product on your scalp?

• Yes

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • No

Votes: 47 83.9%

• Total voters

shtow

would u use this on your scalp? Please explain.

Ingredients:
Petrolatum, Lanolin, Mineral Oil, Menthol, Triclosan, Yellow 11, Fragrance.

Now I know some of u ladies are hair gurus and all but please refrain from telling what the product is in any type of way (including CLUES) .

I will post what it is and some important info after 15 replies.

Last edited:

HoneyDew

I wouldn't.

I don't think it is bad really. But, it would not benefit my scalp like other products would.

Evazhair

I voted no. I believe I know what this is though. Something old and yes I have used it in the past for a scalp condition that I don't have anymore.

MizzBrown

Hell no! The first 3 ingredients are the 3 WORST ingredients that you can put on your hair. You might as well put Vaseline & vaporub on your scalp.

Just cheap fillers. It shouldn't cost no more than $3 either w/ all that cheap stuff.

sonce

would u use this on your scalp? Please explain.

Ingredients:
Petrolatum, Lanolin, Mineral Oil, Menthol, Triclosan, Yellow 11, Fragrance.

Now I know some of u ladies are hair gurus and all but please refrain from telling what the product is in any type of way (including CLUES) is.

I will post what it is and some important info after 15 replies.
Is that the entire list of ingredients? If so, then No! I would not use it. The first three ingredients are all dealbreakers by themselves, so in combination, no way no how. And then coloring and fragrance? Yea, um, NO. I believe triclosan is an antimicrobial agent so that is the only thing that looks remotely decent on that list, but even then, I suspect that would be too harsh for my scalp. This product is bad news IMO. It's for this exact reason that I make with my own hand and from natural ingredients every mixture that I put on my scalp. (The only exception to that rule was Wild Growth Hair Oil, which has ingredients that seem good, and I used that for all of three seconds before discontinuing use.)

Last edited:

ravenmerlita

I wouldn't use on my scalp because products with petroleum and mineral oil usuallly weigh my hair down at the root which is not a good look for me. Also, my skin is very sensitive and I get bumps if I'm not careful with the products I use.

Are we at 15 posts yet?

poookie

i know exactly what this is. nah i wouldn't use it, petrolatum's basically saran wrap for the scalp and hair, and i'm not trying to stifle my growth.

shtow

The ingredients I posted were the "inactive ingredients". The active ingredient is 2% sulfur. I know a lot of people, including myself and fam whose hair seemed to grow faster with it. Honestly im a little confused cuz the ingredients are "bad" yet I have had great results. If petroleum, etc is a "blocker" how does one's scalp breathe and help hair grow? Ok hair gurus! :grin:

The product is sulfur 8 light formula.

poookie

the other kicker for me (besides the petrolatum and lanolin) was the triclosan-- an antibacterial chemical they put in hand soaps and those antibacterial drops that you rub into your hands. definitely wouldn't feel right putting that on my scalp.

bluevalentine

i was gonna say yeah too.... i thought it was the regular sulfur 8. i have that and i use it on my scalp, not on a regular basis though because i'm lazy :)..

nappity

If Petroleum is the first ingredient and mineral oil the 3rd, I know I wouldn't use this product on my scalp.

I was right I DONT use this

Last edited:

aloof one

the other kicker for me (besides the petrolatum and lanolin) was the triclosan-- an antibacterial chemical they put in hand soaps and those antibacterial drops that you rub into your hands. definitely wouldn't feel right putting that on my scalp.

you do realize triclosan is in a lot of shampoos that clean the scalp right?

It is safe for your hands, face, and body as well as your scalp. It exfoliates the scalp and gets rid of dirt and bacteria.

shtow

It is safe for your hands, face, and body as well as your scalp. It exfoliates the scalp and gets rid of dirt and bacteria.

BINGO!

maybe the ingredients like the triclosan and the sulfur "overpower" the bad ingredients? I dont kno. Im horrible at explaining things, kinda don't feel like expounding. Yall get what I'm sayin! :lol:

ravenmerlita

It's in a shampoo I use -- Kerastase Bain Prevention. It's also an ingredient in some hair loss treatments. It's interesting that sulfur, some kind of anti-bacterial and usually a scalp stimulant make up a lot of scalp treatments and hair growth formulas. I guess the menthol is the scalp stimulant in this case. I think that the triclosan, the menthol and the sulfur are okay.

Now if they make a Sulfur 8 without the petroleum & mineral oil I'd try it.

Songbirdb

I thought that was what it was. I used to use this stuff but the smell got to me. I know a lot of people who've had amazing growth with this stuff but I guess that's because of the sulfur. I don't use it anymore mostly because of the smell, but it did seem to help.

myco

It's in a shampoo I use -- Kerastase Bain Prevention. It's also an ingredient in some hair loss treatments. It's interesting that sulfur, some kind of anti-bacterial and usually a scalp stimulant make up a lot of scalp treatments and hair growth formulas. I guess the menthol is the scalp stimulant in this case. I think that the triclosan, the menthol and the sulfur are okay.

Now if they make a Sulfur 8 without the petroleum & mineral oil I'd try it.

I think it is along the lines of why Micozanol Nitrate(sp) works for some people. Sometimes people have an excess of yeast and bacteria on their scalp. These products (sulfur, triclosan) help to clear it up and create a healthy growing environment on the scalp. I think I read that dandruff (or a certain kind) is actually a bacteria issue - not a dry scalp condition.

poookie

hmm... didn't know that part. i only have 2 shampoos, and neither of them have triclosan in them. thanks for clearing that up :drunk:

still don't trust it, though.

Evazhair

The ingredients I posted were the "inactive ingredients". The active ingredient is 2% sulfur. I know a lot of people, including myself and fam whose hair seemed to grow faster with it. Honestly im a little confused cuz the ingredients are "bad" yet I have had great results. If petroleum, etc is a "blocker" how does one's scalp breathe and help hair grow? Ok hair gurus! :grin:

The product is sulfur 8 light formula.

I knew it!!!!! I used this in the past for dandruff only. I have known old women to use this who don't get their hair washed very often. There is no way I would use it now unless I had dandruff and couldn't get anything else. Truth be told it didn't really get rid of dandruff when I had it, but it did help with itchies. I would never use this to grow hair.

locabouthair

Is that the entire list of ingredients? If so, then No! I would not use it. The first three ingredients are all dealbreakers by themselves, so in combination, no way no how. And then coloring and fragrance? Yea, um, NO. I believe triclosan is an antimicrobial agent so that is the only thing that looks remotely decent on that list, but even then, I suspect that would be too harsh for my scalp. This product is bad news IMO. It's for this exact reason that I make with my own hand and from natural ingredients every mixture that I put on my scalp. (The only exception to that rule was Wild Growth Hair Oil, which has ingredients that seem good, and I used that for all of three seconds before discontinuing use.)

I agree. OP, you have very pretty hair!