Bedtime Hair - Satin Sheets & a Pineapple??

wyldcurlz

have you noticed better results sleeping on silk or satin pillowcases? i just ordered a pair of bridal satin pillowcases.

and who styles their hair in a pineapple at night? have you had success with it. (if you're new to this term, like me, from what i've been told, a "pineapple" is just a high, loose ponytail.) i've been wearing my hair down and curly or back in a bun...and this was recommended by other curlies. anyone else doing this? how does it work for you? Or should i go back to tying my hair in a silk scarf? i've noticed that i still have to re-wet on a daily basis. so i don't know if the pineapple is beneficial or not.

Cichelle

I use a satin pillowcase and yes, I wear a pineapple at night. Every night. I've been sleeping like this for months now. I started out with scarves or sleep bonnets, but really didn't like using them, so I switched. I put my hair up loosely in a pineapple so as not to have too much pulling. (The secret for me was to find a satin or silk scrunchie that was just the right size so that I didn't have to wrap it around a lot, yet it held my hair up all night.) This has been the most comfortable way for me to sleep, especially as my hair gets longer.

ETA: I cowash daily, so second day hair is not my goal here. I know some people pineapple for that reason, though.

leleepop

Im texlaxed and have been wearing a braidout freqently and this is what I do when I sleep on it. Its the best way to keep it imo. I just started doing this a couple a weeks ago from another forum.I just do this one day and rebraid the other

Last edited:

glamazon386

I've been sleeping on satin sheets for the past few years. I did notice a difference. The hair in my nape isn't as dry and doesn't snap as easily anymore. It actually looks like a different texture now.

SignatureBeauty

I tried the satin pillowcase but the air in my home made my hair even drier and all my moisture was on my face and I end up breaking out, so I just use my Satin scarf or a pair of silk or stain stockings.

wyldcurlz

Cichelle said:
I use a satin pillowcase and yes, I wear a pineapple at night. Every night. I've been sleeping like this for months now. I started out with scarves or sleep bonnets, but really didn't like using them, so I switched. I put my hair up loosely in a pineapple so as not to have too much pulling. (The secret for me was to find a satin or silk scrunchie that was just the right size so that I didn't have to wrap it around a lot, yet it held my hair up all night.) This has been the most comfortable way for me to sleep, especially as my hair gets longer.

ETA: I cowash daily, so second day hair is not my goal here. I know some people pineapple for that reason, though.

Cichelle,

How do you pineapple?? I'm picturing just the way one would wear a ponytail, but instead of midway up the head, they have it atop the head? but then, APL-to-BSL hair like mine would stick up a lot out of the pineapple. it sounds like you wrap your hair in a non-tight bun atop your head. is that how you form your pineapple? i've been taking my hair like i'm going to make a ponytail and loop half of it thru a nylon band. so the ends are touching the top of my head. so its just a loop on top of my head. my satin pillowcases are on the way. i'm glad to hear that it does make a difference. i'm not worried about 2nd day hair either. i've never had it and i figure i'll worry about getting the right curl formation for now before i go on to worry about 2nd day hair. thanks!

Cichelle

wyldcurlz said:
Cichelle,

How do you pineapple?? I'm picturing just the way one would wear a ponytail, but instead of midway up the head, they have it atop the head? but then, APL-to-BSL hair like mine would stick up a lot out of the pineapple. it sounds like you wrap your hair in a non-tight bun atop your head. is that how you form your pineapple? i've been taking my hair like i'm going to make a ponytail and loop half of it thru a nylon band. so the ends are touching the top of my head. so its just a loop on top of my head. my satin pillowcases are on the way. i'm glad to hear that it does make a difference. i'm not worried about 2nd day hair either. i've never had it and i figure i'll worry about getting the right curl formation for now before i go on to worry about 2nd day hair. thanks!

Yeah, it's directly on top of my head. Recently, I've been using a small scrunchie and then just not pulling the hair all the way through. Does that make sense? I guess it is the same as what you are saying, but mine is a rather messy "loop".

Before that, I was just putting it directly on top of my head and letting it "waterfall" down around the scrunchie. Lilke this:

As the hair gets longer, though, this could become problematic. When it gets really long, however, it should stay on top of your pillow the way you place it. Those will be the good ole days. ;)

Isis

I sleep on a silk pillowcase but I also wear a silk or satin scarf and/or a silk bonnet. I tried wearing the "pineapple" but my hair seems to dry out much faster, even when sleeping on my silk pillowcase. I read on this forum about placing a bonnet over the pineapple, which I've done with my oversized, silk bonnet. It seems to work to keep the moisture in. This technique isn't quite perfected yet for me, I'm still working on it.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
The pineapple dosen't work for me. It's too much manipulation and it disturbs my curls too much. When I take it down my hair is going up instead of down where I want it. The best way I've found to sleep w/ curly styles is just loosely clipping back the sides w/ 2 duckbill clips and loosely tying on a silk scarf. In the morn I just take out the clips and flip my head to shake it out and fluff it up. It works perfect. I've gotten 3rd and 4th day hair doing this.

Lovelylocs

CreoleBelle said:
Does anyone else slide off of the satin pillow? I cannot sleep on that thing to save my life. I'm always sliding off:( .
Maybe you should invest in some satin sheets as well then. :lol:

This method is new to me. I dont know if I wanna try it out yet. I'm afraid that my hair will get dry from all of the rubbing. :ohwell:

Barbara

Princess
The pineapple dosen't work for me. It's too much manipulation and it disturbs my curls too much. When I take it down my hair is going up instead of down where I want it. The best way I've found to sleep w/ curly styles is just loosely clipping back the sides w/ 2 duckbill clips and loosely tying on a silk scarf. In the morn I just take out the clips and flip my head to shake it out and fluff it up. It works perfect. I've gotten 3rd and 4th day hair doing this.

The pineapple style gives my hair more body when I wear it down. It's like a bun on top of my head. I secure it with a scrunchie.