Bedtime Stories... Protected Nights & Natural Days

sengschick

The Bun Master
Since we're in constant protection mode, what do you do with your hair at night
sleep.gif
(other than wrapping, b/c my hair can't grasp the concept)? And what about when you wear braid outs or rollersets? If you wear natural curls how do you protect them so that you don't have flat hair on one side or have to wet it everyday?! It's cold in Michigan, I can't wear wet hair until at least mid-May.
laugh.gif

I've been french braiding at night, because my night buns where breaking my hair. I think it was the twisting and wrapping. Thankfully, I've since recovered the length.

I do a french roll and/or bantu knots for bed time. I moisturize my ends and quickly put my ends in my choice of protective style. Oh, I use S-curl for my ends.

When it was really cold here I kept my hair in twists/twistouts. Good protective style and easy to fluff out flatness.

Now it's warmer, but still too cool to walk out with dripping wet hair, so I do a twistout from big twists that last 2-3 days.

I don't do anything to my hair at night except slap on my satin bonnet or scarf to keep my hair from rubbing on the sheets when I sleep.

When doing braid-outs, I just braid the hair, put rollers on the ends, and cover with my drawstring satin cap.

For bed, I always put my hair in a loose ponytail and then put on my scarf, and I'm good for the night. If I am wearing my braidout, I still put it in a loose ponytail, but then I might put my slip on my head, then put my scarf over that.

In the morning the braidout is flatter, but easily fluffed back into a presentable look.

Before bed I let my hair go and secure into a very loose bun, just to keep the ends in. I do a scalp massage with my rosemary mixture, then put a satin bonnet on.

Re: Bedtime Stories... Protected Nights & Natural

I have those silky pillow cases from sally's.

I sleep in the same bun that I wear all week. My hair is either dry and wrapped in a silky scarf OR wet with surge and under a plastic cap.

If I'm wearing my rollerset straight style or ringlets down, I'll draw all my hair up into a loose ponytail at the very crown of my head (using my hand, not an elastic) and wrap the silk scarf around it. I'll sleep with the hair spilling out of the scarf a little at the top. This prevent my head from crushing the hair against the pillow.

there was no way to avoid smooshed curlz because i have a twa. but besides that i wear a silk bonnet. when i wake up i spray my hair with water and add a moisturizer, then i just rub my hair all over and its a messy/curly style.

For my braid outs, I rebraid my hair in 4 braids going down the back of my head, "wrapping" them crisscross low around the back of my head and pinning them with Good Hair Day pins. Then I tie a satin or silk scarf over my head (my pillowcase is satin too).

For a rollerset, I make sure my rollers (which are huge) are place towards the back or top of my head so I can get some sleep!
laugh.gif
I cover all tightly with a large satin scarf.

Thanks Ladies!! Megonw: I'm going to Sally's. I didn't know they carried the pillow cases. My last one self destructed!
nono.gif

[ QUOTE ]
megonw said:
I have those silky pillow cases from sally's.

I sleep in the same bun that I wear all week. My hair is either dry and wrapped in a silky scarf OR wet with surge and under a plastic cap.

If I'm wearing my rollerset straight style or ringlets down, I'll draw all my hair up into a loose ponytail at the very crown of my head (using my hand, not an elastic) and wrap the silk scarf around it. I'll sleep with the hair spilling out of the scarf a little at the top. This prevent my head from crushing the hair against the pillow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do the same thing. 99% of the time I wear a bun and then put my fav satin scarf on. I then tie a conditioning scarf around that(not for conditioning purposes) to secure my satin scarf. Sometimes (because I sleep kinda hard) I put a bonnet over that.

My head should get hot, but it doesn't and by the time I wake up in the morning I usually still have at least one scarf on my head. And for extra extra security I have a satin pillow cover.
blush.gif
laugh.gif

Megon - who is the lovely lady in your hair album (the hair goal pics)? She's pretty!
smile.gif

TIA

How about relaxed and str8, is there any other way to protect the hair other than wrapping my edges are thinning

The is a wrapping technique whereby you part you hair in the centre and take the left side and pin it over the right and the right side and pin it over the left. It should look like theres an x at the back of your head. It doesn't come out as defined as the circular wrap but all the same its a very good technique to avoid thinning edges. Cover it with a satin scarf by the way.
drunk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
megonw said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to try this as well when I wear rollersets and dont feel like putting any rollers in my head to sleep in.
tongue.gif

Any other suggestions of how you wear your hair at night???

I put coconut oil on my hair and put loose twists all over my head. Then, I wrap my hair in a satin scarf.

Back