Thinning hair due to cross wrapping?

Nameless

I cross wrap every night but recently I've noticed a problem with my constant middle parting. Either the hair in the middle is getting thinner or there's a permanent middle parting that makes it look like thinning hair. I don't know what to do. I love cross wrapping because it allows me to wear my hair straight without heat. Apart from traditional wrapping, is there an alternative way to protect my hair at night that allows me to wear straight hair the next morning?

MzShouldaLength

Bumping for you...

I have been noticing this same problem. I have been having a little luck with "semi" cross wrapping. I tie down the front of my hair and then section the hair and lay them like I would if I were cross wrapping, but I don't secure the ends with any pins. I put on my bonnet and then the sections fall into place in the bonnet if that makes sense. It leads to straight hair with minimal manipulation. I think since I don't secure the hair tightly, it helps with the tension and pulling I experience with regular cross wrapping. Hope this helps some. :)

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I find this to be true in a different scenario -- I finger part my hair down the middle and moisturize and seal twice daily. I find that the middle part is always there whether I want it to be or not. I try to part my hair differently when I think about it. Most times I don't give it any thought until after I've parted it down the middle. Changing up your part is really not an option with cross-wrapping. Good question though.

Sistaslick

When I'm not cross wrapping, I like to alternate it with a mohawk rollerset. This is simply placing one big row of rollers down the middle of your head. You can use smaller rollers reds/lavenders if you want a little more volume, or large rollers like the grays/blacks and purples for a flatter look. The style is easy to sleep on too since the sides are free. 4 rollers usually does the trick for me, but tonight I've only got 1 =)

Also like Mzshouldalength, I don't secure the ends on my cross wrap. Occasionally this leads to "bends" that I later have to straighten out-- but it usually works!

Teddy B

I personally don't like the cross wrap because I don't like the outcome. It can't be compared to the traditional wrap. When I flatiron I wrap my hair for either a few hours in saran wrap of with a silk scarf overnight but just for the first day. After that I put my hair in Stay On Satin Pocket Bonnet.

http://www.stayonsatin.com/satindetail.html

It leaves my hair straight and don't have to do anything to it in the morning. I can still part my hair wherever I choose to.

I wrote the company an email though because my hairlenght outgrew the pocket so I need a longer one :grin:.

I still use it and it's still stickstraight :yep:

HTH

Rae81

I personally don't like the cross wrap because I don't like the outcome. It can't be compared to the traditional wrap. When I flatiron I wrap my hair for either a few hours in saran wrap of with a silk scarf overnight but just for the first day. After that I put my hair in Stay On Satin Pocket Bonnet.

Stay On Satin

Nameless

Update: So I was right. The constant parting in the middle every night has caused thinning. So I stopped cross wrapping about a month ago and I've gone back to traditional wrapping but I alternate the sides every night.
So right now, the middle is a little bit shorter than the sides :sad: I'm deciding if I should cut the sides so my length is even now or if I should wait until my next relaxer.

I should have listened to my gut instead of just ignoring the issue :sad: