Benefits of Flaxseed Oil

kbody4

I was trying to search for old posts about Flaxseed Oil and hair growth, but nothing came up. I just started taking the supplement a week ago. Anyone have good success with Flaxseed Oil? What did it do for your hair?

cicilypayne

OMG I just started taking it too, its been about two weeks:grin:. I forgot what its suppose "to do" for hair growth. But its benefits for total body health is similar to other consumable fatty oils like fish oil, and evening primrose oil. I believe it helps with cellular growth and regeneration and aids in the elasticity of skin and tissue repair.:grin:

Determined22

I started taking two capsules a day two weeks ago, and so far I've noticed a change in my skin. I was breaking out and its helped with that. Hopefully I'll start to see changes in my hair soon too.

kbody4

Thanks ladies!! I googled Flaxseed oil again and it did mentioned something about helping with dandruff. I have problems with this when the season change. I noticed that my skin is glowing too :grin:

gymfreak336

The benefits of flaxseed oil are too numerous for me to list here. In a nut shell it benefits the heart, connective tissue(skin and hair), digestive system, and the nervous system.

It helps protect against nerve damage, helps the skin hold moisture, helps encourage healthy hair growth, helps brain function and heart function.

Everyone should be taking Flaxseed oil everyday for their bodies. I don't care if I was genetically bald, I would still be taking flaxseed oil everyday.

AtlantaJJ

How much is everyone taking per day. Are you dividing the dose like one in the morning and one in the evening. Do you take it with food or can it be taken on an empty stomach? I have the liquid kind so I will have to take it at home in the morning or in the evenings, I can't take it to work like some of my other supplements.

TIA!!

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I get a shot glass, fill it up with orange juice, add 1 tablespoon of Flaxseed Oil and stir it up. Drink it straight with a probiotic before going to bed. Someone on the forum (can't remember who :kiss:) had the idea and I think it's a good one. It helps the flaxseed go down smoothly. I have only started back doing this for the past few weeks. My skin looks clear, shiny and healthy! I want to increase to 1 tablespoon in the a.m. and 1 in the p.m., but honestly I scared that flaxseed will make me put on more weight and I don't want that.:nono:

BeaLady

Has anyone put flaxseed oil directly on your hair? I bought a bottle from GNC and the taste is too bad for me to use(I saw a post after I bought it warning about GNC's flaxseed oil).

AtlantaJJ

I get a shot glass, fill it up with orange juice, add 1 tablespoon of Flaxseed Oil and stir it up. Drink it straight with a probiotic before going to bed. Someone on the forum (can't remember who :kiss:) had the idea and I think it's a good one. It helps the flaxseed go down smoothly. I have only started back doing this for the past few weeks. My skin looks clear, shiny and healthy! I want to increase to 1 tablespoon in the a.m. and 1 in the p.m., but honestly I scared that flaxseed will make me put on more weight and I don't want that.:nono:
Thank you, that's an excellent idea, I will substitute grapefruit juice, that's my DOC. You don't have to worry about the weight gain aspect. Bodybuilders and figure pro's live on Flax seed oil! It helps your body to process fats better. I used to take it before for that and didn't know that it was helping my hair. They take like 3000 mg a day and up. You know they count every single calorie. That's why I'm excited about taking it becuase it many benefits!

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Thank you, that's an excellent idea, I will substitute grapefruit juice, that's my DOC. You don't have to worry about the weight gain aspect. Bodybuilders and figure pro's live on Flax seed oil! It helps your body to process fats better. I used to take it before for that and didn't know that it was helping my hair. They take like 3000 mg a day and up. You know they count every single calorie. That's why I'm excited about taking it becuase it many benefits!

Great! So I'll start upping the dosage, starting next week and track my progress. I've never tried FSO directly in my hair. Don't know if anyone does that.:look:

ETA: Actually that's a great idea about the grapefruit juice. Do you use the regular juice or pink grapefruit. I think PG has more sugar and I don't want that, either. It's bad enough with the OJ. So I will think about purchasing the regular grapefruit juice. Someone else suggested vegetable juice as well.

naturaline

yeah i used to take them (now im pregnant so cant) but i loved the results... shiny well oiled feeling hair and much better skin too!

ryanshope

I take fish oil and flax seed oil--I haven't seen much difference with my skin or hair from orally taking it but flax seed oil is great for facials. I have chronic dry skin during the winter and I started applying one capsule every few nights and my skin is so SMOOTH and soft. I tried the castor/olive oil cleansing(this was a fiasco!) so I was skeptical at first--but the benefits were great. After 3 months, I will see how taking the oil orally improvements my skin condition, if at all.

missty1029

Im trying to figure out which is better Fish oil or Flaxseed oil. Taking both is not too much?? Which would be better if just taking one? I mostly want to try it for my skin.

I take fish oil and flax seed oil--I haven't seen much difference with my skin or hair from orally taking it but flax seed oil is great for facials. I have chronic dry skin during the winter and I started applying one capsule every few nights and my skin is so SMOOTH and soft. I tried the castor/olive oil cleansing(this was a fiasco!) so I was skeptical at first--but the benefits were great. After 3 months, I will see how taking the oil orally improvements my skin condition, if at all.

Last edited:

Nonie

Those of you that mix with fruit juice, you should try it with a thick fruit/veggie smoothie like Naked Juice. The consistency is somewhat similar to the oil so you almost forget it's in there. Yoghurt is another great "carrier".

And for those who don't know how to take it to work, do what I did. I had one bottle at work in the fridge and one at home. It was easier to take it at work in the week and then on weekends I had my bottle at home.

nicki6

My new growth came in very defined and moisturized when I took the flaxseed daily. My facial skin was very soft also:yep:

Nonie

Im trying to figure out which is better Fish oil or Flaxseed oil. Taking both is not too much?? Which would be better if just taking one? I mostly want to try it for my skin.

While I take flaxseed, I plan to get some fish oil very soon. Cod liver oil for instance provides the Vitamin D we would get from sun if we were not slathering on sunblock, so I know I need some of that. Another reason why fish might be a good idea is:

Fish oil contains two omega-3 fatty acids known as eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Flaxseed oil, on the other hand, is rich in alpha-linolenic acid, which is the "parent" fatty acid to DHA and EPA. Although similar in structure, the benefits of alpha-linolenic acid, EPA, and DHA are not the same.
Your body converts alpha-linolenic acid rapidly into EPA, and more slowly into DHA. Roughly 11 grams of alpha-linolenic acid is needed to produce one gram of DHA and EPA. However, other foods in your diet can easily put the brakes on this conversion process.
A diet that's rich in trans-fatty fatty acids, for instance, will "interfere" with the conversion of alpha-linolenic acid into EPA and DHA. Trans-fatty acids are found in foods such as cookies, some types of margarine, chips, cakes, and popcorn. When you see hydrogenated oil on the ingredients label of a food, there are probably some trans-fatty acids in there somewhere.
Balance
It's also very important to make sure that your diet contains the right balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. A healthy diet consists of roughly two to four times more omega-6 fatty acids than omega-3 fatty acids. In other words, for every four grams of omega-6 fatty acids, aim for at least one gram of omega-3 fatty acids.

Because traditional sources of fat (such as butter) have been replaced with vegetable oils (sunflower oil and corn oil, for example), the typical diet contains 14 to 25 times more omega-6 fatty acids than omega-3 fatty acids. A diet that contains too many omega-6 fatty acids at the expense of omega-3 fatty acids also limits the conversion of alpha-linolenic acid into EPA and DHA.
This doesn't mean there are no benefits of flaxseed oil. Foods high in alpha-linolenic acid (such as walnuts and flaxseed oil) are a useful addition to the diet of anyone who wants a leaner, healthier body. They should, however, be consumed as part of a diet containing high-fat, cold-water fish (such as salmon) and/or fish oil supplements.
Source: http://www.mind1st.co.uk/Flax_Seed_Oil_v_Fish_Oil.asp

Perhaps a better way to go is to get an oil that has both, like this one.