Best Blowdryer for my 4a/b Ladies

lana

Hey ladies...I'm in the market for a new blowdryer. I think it's time for a change so please let me know what the best blowdryer is for your 4a/b hair. I will take suggestions from relaxed heads, natural heads and anything in between (of course). But I would really like some testimonials here, I'm a 4a/b natural and when I blow dry I need it to be quick, no ripping through the hair and I do use a comb attachment on these thick tresses.

Please also note if you recommend ionic, ceramic, or any other form of heat with my blow dryer purchase. How long have you had it and how well does it work.

As a natural I use the blow dryer to dry my hair and get it semi-straight. I need it to get hot, but within reason. I'm trying to blow dry my hair not, blow FRY it.

Thanks in advance. PLEASE PLEASE respond!

Royal Glory

Hi Lana,

I purchased the T3 Tourmaline Ceramic Ionic Blowdryer about four months ago. I love it and it is supposed to be more gentle on your hair because it closes the cuticle and dries "from the inside out". And it dries in much less time.

I have foud it to be more gentle on my hair than my former blow dryer. It is expensive, though, because the ceramic isn't simply a coating on some parts. It is solid on all parts, so there is no wearing off. If you purchase it from Sephora or Nordstrom ($200), it comes with a 4-year warranty. If you purchase it from another dealer, T3 may not honor the 4-year warranty.

It has been worth it for me.

Happy hunting.

navsegda

lana said:
Hey ladies...I'm in the market for a new blowdryer. I think it's time for a change so please let me know what the best blowdryer is for your 4a/b hair. I will take suggestions from relaxed heads, natural heads and anything in between (of course). But I would really like some testimonials here, I'm a 4a/b natural and when I blow dry I need it to be quick, no ripping through the hair and I do use a comb attachment on these thick tresses.

Please also note if you recommend ionic, ceramic, or any other form of heat with my blow dryer purchase. How long have you had it and how well does it work.

As a natural I use the blow dryer to dry my hair and get it semi-straight. I need it to get hot, but within reason. I'm trying to blow dry my hair not, blow FRY it.

Thanks in advance. PLEASE PLEASE respond!
I'm 4a/b relaxed and I use a BaByliss Thermal Ionic Dryer. http://www.folica.com/BaByliss_Therma_d1175.html

It dries my hair very very fast, much faster than the old Conair I used. I bought this dryer because the Conair was in storage and I needed a new one. I'm glad I did. I don't like the feel of the heat on my scalp so I like to use it on the low or cold settings and it still dries quickly. There is also a hot and a turbo setting (which I would never ever use, I don't know why they put a turbo on the thing lol). The cold setting is my favorite. If I want to get my roots straight, then I use my Solia Ceramic Tourmaline flat iron: http://www.folica.com/Solia_Tourmalin_d1558.html

I am totally in love with the Solia. It can be used on damp or dry hair, so even though I don't let the heat from the blow dryer get close to my scalp, I can still get my roots straight with the Solia. I use heat protectants with both the BaByliss and the Solia (Nexxus Heat Protexx and JOICO Leave-In Protectant before I blow dry and then CHI Silk Infusion before I flat iron). I highly recommend purchasing the CHI Silk Infusion and you can use it before you blow dry, before you flat iron, or even if you aren't using heat at all: http://www.folica.com/CHI_Silk_Infusi_d2300.html

If you're looking for something a little cheaper you should try my blowdryer: its ANDIS Ionic Cermaic Blowdryer its about 32 dollars and it comes with a diffuser, comb attachment and a roundbrush- and it gets the job done in a very short amount of time!!! (I have very thick 4a/b hair) It gives my hair a nice polished look ( darn near straight just big) and i ALWAYS use it on warm or cool never hot because it can start smoking like a dominican hair salon in a second! :lol:

BrownBetty

carribean_dream said:
If you're looking for something a little cheaper you should try my blowdryer: its ANDIS Ionic Cermaic Blowdryer its about 32 dollars and it comes with a diffuser, comb attachment and a roundbrush- and it gets the job done in a very short amount of time!!! (I have very thick 4a/b hair) It gives my hair a nice polished look ( darn near straight just big) and i ALWAYS use it on warm or cool never hot because it can start smoking like a dominican hair salon in a second! :lol:

+1

I have one and its a great investment. I only use it on warm/low because it gets hot but my hair doesn't feel crispy afterwards. Try looking in TJ maxx they had some over the holidays. If you can't find one there try amazon.

lana

I actually bought that blow dryer and right now it's sitting on my shelf at home. Does anyone want it? I'll sell it for $19 because it doesn't work on my thick hair. I bought it at a Asian beauty supply and can't return it.

It's the Andis Ionic Ceramic blowdryer that looks like this:

Attachments

• blowdryer.jpg
    blowdryer.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 173

Wishin4BSL

navsegda said:
I'm 4a/b relaxed and I use a BaByliss Thermal Ionic Dryer. http://www.folica.com/BaByliss_Therma_d1175.html

It dries my hair very very fast, much faster than the old Conair I used. I bought this dryer because the Conair was in storage and I needed a new one. I'm glad I did. I don't like the feel of the heat on my scalp so I like to use it on the low or cold settings and it still dries quickly. There is also a hot and a turbo setting (which I would never ever use, I don't know why they put a turbo on the thing lol). The cold setting is my favorite. If I want to get my roots straight, then I use my Solia Ceramic Tourmaline flat iron: http://www.folica.com/Solia_Tourmalin_d1558.html

I am totally in love with the Solia. It can be used on damp or dry hair, so even though I don't let the heat from the blow dryer get close to my scalp, I can still get my roots straight with the Solia. I use heat protectants with both the BaByliss and the Solia (Nexxus Heat Protexx and JOICO Leave-In Protectant before I blow dry and then CHI Silk Infusion before I flat iron). I highly recommend purchasing the CHI Silk Infusion and you can use it before you blow dry, before you flat iron, or even if you aren't using heat at all: http://www.folica.com/CHI_Silk_Infusi_d2300.html

I second this! I love this blowdryer.

swgirl

carribean_dream said:

Ditto. I love this blowdryer. I bought my daughter one and after I tried it, I had to go and get one for myself. It does get hot fast so I only use it once in an while.

ShaniKeys

Is it safe to blowdry 4a/b hair? I've read that quite a few of you ladies do it, how do you go about i? Do you lose alot of hair in the process?

Spin

I really liked the Chi Rocket. I have natural hair that I flat iron regularly. My hair get fairly straight without drying out my hair. I had an Andis but my hair was overly dry and somewhat brittle by the time I got it straightened out.

Last edited:

navsegda

ShaniKeys said:
Is it safe to blowdry 4a/b hair? I've read that quite a few of you ladies do it, how do you go about i? Do you lose alot of hair in the process?
It's safe to blow-dry any type of hair if you do it correctly. I'm pretty heavy-handed when it comes to combing and when I blow-dry, I lose hardly any hair (maybe 4-5 strands when I'm rushing, even less when I'm taking my time).

After I do my final rinse, I use JOICO Reconstruct Leave-In Protectant (closes the cuticle, restores your hair's normal acidic pH, and protects against thermal and environmental damage), Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Anti-Frizz Serum (also a great heat protectant), and Nexxus Heat Protexx. Then I divide my hair into 4 sections and blow dry each.

Also, my BaByliss Thermal Ionic Dryer has a turbo setting, but I never use it. I do not like the way heat feels on my scalp, so I use the low setting for maybe a minute and then cold-shot the rest of the way. Then I add CHI Silk Infusion (another serum and heat protectant) and flat iron.