Best Braidout technique for Thin/Fine Hair

ItsyBitsy

I want to experiment with this style so hopefully this can be an option for me as the weather & humidity goes up. I want to acheive a braidout without causing my hair to shrink or frizz up. Should I do this on wet hair or dry & what products would work best. I would rather have loose waves than tight. Also, I can't cornroll to save my life so hopefully plaits will do the trick. TIA

nycutiepie

I have thin/fine hair too and I tried it a couple of times on dry hair and it came out nice. I did flat twists though and it came out in nice waves and didn't cause my hair to shrink up too much. The only thing I don't like is the amount of manipulation involved with me making the flat twists. It could have been my technique but it was too much trying to pick up the hair and all. I hope someone answers who used another method because I'd like to know too.

jnicole

I did about 6 to 8 single twist and it comes out really nice. I then use small rods to curl the ends so they'll be curly. It comes out really nice. I use water mixed with oil and a little conditioner and setting lotion. You can make them bigger or smaller depending on how much wave you want.

ItsyBitsy

nycutiepie said:
I have thin/fine hair too and I tried it a couple of times on dry hair and it came out nice. I did flat twists though and it came out in nice waves and didn't cause my hair to shrink up too much. The only thing I don't like is the amount of manipulation involved with me making the flat twists. It could have been my technique but it was too much trying to pick up the hair and all. I hope someone answers who used another method because I'd like to know too.

Thanks for responding Cutiepie. Im sure someone else will chime in & help us out ;)

ItsyBitsy

Thanks Jnicole! Was your hair already dry? I think im going to try 4 plaits using a little aveda USC, serum & a leave in ( not sure which one...rusk, aveda, giovanni direct). My hair is already dry & straightened. I hope I don't mess up my silk wrap for nothing :p

jnicole

DIONNE31 said:
Thanks Jnicole! Was your hair already dry? I think im going to try 4 plaits using a little aveda USC, serum & a leave in ( not sure which one...rusk, aveda, giovanni direct). My hair is already dry & straightened. I hope I don't mess up my silk wrap for nothing :p

Sometimes I do it after I wash when my hair is still wet, and sometimes I just spray my dry hair with the conditioner mix.

nycutiepie

DIONNE31 said:

You should be good with the aveda products but the giovanni direct is water based I think so you might not be as silky :lol: afterwards.

Cayenne0622

Thanks for posting this. I messed around and tried to do a braidout like Sylver2's and OH MY GOSH!!! I looked a hot shetty mess!!!:lol: Number 1 her hair looks much thicker than mine and number 2 her hair is well past brastrap so leaving the ends unrolled looked exotic on her while it looked like boo-boo on me. hahahahaha Big mistake. I did like 8 individual braids....4 on each side....I can't stop laughing thinking about it. The thinner front part looked like mini crimps instead of waves. So, I'll give the double strand twists...with rods on the tips one day because it is already hella humid and awful feeling in Houston.... HATE OUR WEATHER!!!:mad:

aurora3140

I think wet braidouts cause more shrinkagea and dry braidouts show more length. I would start with dry hair and add a touch of water or leave-in while braiding. I have pictures in my fotki of my hair with a dry and a wet braidout.

ItsyBitsy

Thanks ladies for your suggestions! I'd planned to do this last night but chickened out, I had a meeting this morning & I didn't want to take the chance of having a tangled birdsnest on top my head if it didn't turn out right :lol:
I will try a dry braidout over the weekend that way if I mess it up I'll have time to do my old faithful silk wrap:grin:

preciousjewel76

aurora3140 said:
I think wet braidouts cause more shrinkagea and dry braidouts show more length. I would start with dry hair and add a touch of water or leave-in while braiding. I have pictures in my fotki of my hair with a dry and a wet braidout.

Your second braidout is SO CUTE!:) It really seems like the waves come out nice when you cornrow the hair....but I can't cornrow to save my life!:mad: I may have to experiment.

ItsyBitsy

preciousjewel76 said:
Your second braidout is SO CUTE!:) It really seems like the waves come out nice when you cornrow the hair....but I can't cornrow to save my life!:mad: I may have to experiment.

Her second braidout is beautiful, but like you I can't cornrow at all!! Plaits or twist will have to work for me

aurora3140

Thank you preciousjewel76 and dionne! I didn't see your replies until today. I haven't been able to replicate those results though :(. I'm also a terrible cornrower; I would never attempt to do my own and wear them out. I'd look a hot mess :lol:!