Braidout on Hair Airdried Straight?

Isis

Has anyone done a braidout on airdried hair? I tried this today, just to see what would happen. I braided my straight airdried hair in 3 braids (was going to do 2 thick ones) , without styling lotion, and after only an hour, I took the braids out, separating them with my fingers and I had swingy, beautiful loose waves!
I loved them because they weren't too tight, just loose so I could see some length. If any of you have already done this, please let me know how long the waves last, with the hair hanging down. I had to put mine back up in my bun.

BTW, as someone mentioned in another post, the bun does look much fuller after a braidout!.

Stormy

Yes. I always do my braid or twist outs with air dried hair. Usually comes out pretty nice. I never use styling lotion, just a little moisturizer or oil. I either corn row mine for braid outs or do a few twists for twist outs while my hair is damp. I usually wait at least two hours before I undo them. Sometimes I just leave them while I sleep at night and undo them in the morning. My waves last all day, sometimes longer, but not in this heat! When I'm wearing this style I always re-do it at night anyway just to keep the waves fresh looking.

That's great your's came out nice! Good for you! :

soslychic

Wow! I'm gonna have to try that! I've been looking for a way to get the braid out to dry faster and starting with basically dry hair would definetly be an option. But were the twists smooth? For some reason, it seems like my hair would frizz if I didn't braid it while wet. Also, was your hair air dried and straight already? How did you get it to airdry straight?

AnjelLuvs

it never worked for me, I dont know why. I love the way the wet ones come out so I will stick with what I know

Isis

Thank you Stormy and Dontspeakdefeat!

Soslychic - I started out with my hair already airdried straight when I did my ponytail rollerset overnight. This left my hair straight and swingy, not bone-straight though. I started a thread about it at:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Women&Number=159869&Forum=All_Forums&Words=3447&Match=Username&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=159869&Search=true#Post159869

[I need to learn how to do a shorter link]

My hair was finished drying - no dampness at all when I braided it. It seems that the moisture already sealed in my hair from when I washed and conditioned it, along with the leave-in and oil, sets the hair all by itself. And my hair is very smooth and shiny - not frizzy at all. I think that's because I'm starting with smooth, shiny, bouncy hair.

I wash my hair every 3 to 4 days now so I am guessing the waves may stay in from wash to wash if I left it down as a braidout. And I left the braid in for just an hour! If I left it in longer (like overnight) on my airdried hair, who knows? I meant to try that last night but I forgot.

AnjelLuvsUBabe -

I'm sure the wet ones work well for most and they last probably as long as you want them too. I'm glad to hear yours work so well. This idea is for a quick style after airdrying. I may try both so I can compare them more thoroughly.

debyjay

Do you guys think a twist out will hold up on a plane? I'll be on a plane for 5 hours and would really like to rock a twist out on my three day vacation but am scared of what the very drying air in the plane will do to my hair. Has anyone traveled with a braid out and still had decent looking hair after the palne ride? I leave Friday night for the caribbean.

Dutchess

Stormy what exactly is a "twist-out"? I wear my hair 99% of the time in the braid-out and it's similar to what you do. I love my hair this way, however, I was wondering about the twist-out, I might want to incorporate this into my hair care.

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
Do you guys think a twist out will hold up on a plane?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't see why it wouldn't. Maybe you could take some oil or something in your carry-on bag in case it gets a little dried out... Have a great time on vacation!!

Isis

debyjay said:
Do you guys think a twist out will hold up on a plane? I'll be on a plane for 5 hours and would really like to rock a twist out on my three day vacation but am scared of what the very drying air in the plane will do to my hair. Has anyone traveled with a braid out and still had decent looking hair after the palne ride? I leave Friday night for the caribbean.
I wore my braidout on a plane without any problems. I made sure my hair was extra moisturized. I also It was great since I encountered humid conditions in a couple of states and my braidout worked well in it.

caligirl

I've done a braidout on pressed hair and it was the best ever!
I do two braids like Pocahantas before bedtime. In the morning I have wavy hair like Ananda Lewis. It looks really natural.

Isis

Poohbear said:
ISIS, do u use rubberbands or perm rods to secure the ends of your braids???
I don't use either one. If I braid my hair for a braidout, I pin my braids at the back of my head with Good Hair Days pins (for my updo). They still hang down after I take the braids out.