Best Product Lines 3c/4a hair??

Bublin

Depends on her porosity.....it's not all about texture.
Determining her porosity will also help with her actual regimen and what ingredients her hair will most likely accept.

Amarilles

Depends on her hair texture (hair thickness) and porosity. Hair type (1234/ABC) doesn't really help determine products.

Hair generalities...coarse hair does not like protein, fine hair usually does. High porosity needs protein, low porosity not as much. Low porosity responds better to light consistencies, high porosity can easily absorb rich/thick consistencies.

greenandchic

Depends on her hair texture (hair thickness) and porosity. Hair type (1234/ABC) doesn't really help determine products.

Hair generalities...coarse hair does not like protein, fine hair usually does. High porosity needs protein, low porosity not as much. Low porosity responds better to light consistencies, high porosity can easily absorb rich/thick consistencies.

Exactly what Amarilles said.

My hair is porous, medium strands and dense. It loves:

Oil, oil, oil - My hair drinks it like a sponge.
Thick leave-ins and butters.
Water based products that contains oils.
Light protein.
Henna.

Its complicated and it took years for me to figure this out. Once your friend find out what the properties of her hair is, it will be easier to figure out what to use.

My hair specs are in my signature. It loves:
-olive oil, Vatika oil, and castor oil;
-virtually anything with marshmallow root in it (i.e. Kinky Curly Knot Today, NaturelleGrow Marshmallow root & Slippery Elm DC);
-modified KimmayTube leave-in recipe (I replace jojoba oil w/ olive and double the recipe);
-Tresemme Naturals Moisture Conditioner;
-Cream & Coco Raspberry Rice Pudding Shampoo Bar;
-Nupur Henna;
-Aphogee Protein 2-step

Seamonster

Fine, low porosity, so happy to have normal density (I had to work for this). 4 everything.

My natural hair thrives on a relaxed head regime, so you never know what will work.
Zanzabar loves proteins, oils, heavy butters, grease, dandruff shampoo, oils, henna, liquid moisturizers, and humectants. She likes GHE, pre poo, wet buns, trims, hair cuts, and water.
She despises most of the heavy moisturizers that other naturals rave over. She loathes twist, box braids and twist outs, preferring wet sets and cellies. Zans thinks Heat is the :heated: HHJ

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
My hair specs are in my signature. It loves:
-olive oil, Vatika oil, and castor oil;
-virtually anything with marshmallow root in it (i.e. Kinky Curly Knot Today, NaturelleGrow Marshmallow root & Slippery Elm DC);
-modified KimmayTube leave-in recipe (I replace jojoba oil w/ olive and double the recipe);
-Tresemme Naturals Moisture Conditioner;
-Cream & Coco Raspberry Rice Pudding Shampoo Bar;
-Nupur Henna;
-Aphogee Protein 2-step

WarriorGurl23, your hair sounds like mine, what do you use as a moisturizer?

TIA

greenandchic

Fine, low porosity, so happy to have normal density (I had to work for this). 4 everything.

My natural hair thrives on a relaxed head regime, so you never know what will work.
Zanzabar loves proteins, oils, heavy butters, grease, dandruff shampoo, oils, henna, liquid moisturizers, and humectants. She likes GHE, pre poo, wet buns, trims, hair cuts, and water.
She despises most of the heavy moisturizers that other naturals rave over. She loathes twist, box braids and twist outs, preferring wet sets and cellies. Zans thinks Heat is the :heated: HHJ

Seamonster - Do you use shampoo with salycic acid?

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
I am 3c/4a (with a larger mix of 4b):

I am high porosity with medium strands that are quite dense.

My hair currently hates everything, really, but is partial to:

-HydroQuench Systems Shampoos and Deep Conditioners
-Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream (a thick moisturizer)
-Plain Water
-Protein (as long as it is followed by a moisturizing conditioner)

That's it. It despises everything else, including products with high glycerin content. And my hair used to LOVE glycerin. *sigh*

ETA: I decided to be more specific about my hair hate list:

-shea butter
-coconut oil
-Any other oil (except maybe castor oil, on occasion)
-ANY leave in conditioner (still trying to find the right one)
-applying styling products on wet hair (I prefer damp or dry)

Last edited:
WarriorGurl23, your hair sounds like mine, what do you use as a moisturizer?

TIA

Lately I haven't had to moisturize during the week. I usually just keep my hair lubricated with vatika oil or EVOO. By the time my hair is dry, its usually wash day. I retain a lot more moisture when I air dry in braids.

But when I wear my hair out it is more likely to dry out, so I just use some of the modified kimmaytube leave in I mentioned in my last post.