Best products for 4B type hair????

chyna

hi i am new to the site and want to know the best products/ regimen for my hair type. I visit my stylist every 2 wks (hard to get in otherwise); but at home I don't get that same silky texture that she gets in the salon. /images/graemlins/confused.gif I have thick hair that was considerably healthy until a few weeks ago. /images/graemlins/mad.gif I experienced severe shedding/breakage in the back of my head on the left side. Before that my hair was right at my shoulders (cut it halle berry style 1 1/2 yrs ago) Any suggestions on at home care /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

pebbles

Hi Chyna, /images/graemlins/wave.gif

Welcome to the board! /images/graemlins/smile.gif Can you tell us what you usually have done when you go to the salon? Does the hairdresser do a rollerset, wrap, or blowdry? What sort of relaxer do you use? No matter what has happened to your hair, you can get it back on the right track. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Drea84

Hi Chyna! /images/graemlins/wave.gif

I have 4b hair also and whenever I have a problem spot I use ORS Temple Balm and/or Castor Oil and it begins to grow back.

HTH

Leshia

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
pebbles said:
No matter what has happened to your hair, you can get it back on the right track. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh Pebs, that was GOOD. Way to go with the encouragement, even gave me some hope with that one! *HUGE SMILE**

G

I have 4b hair and get my hair straight wrapped at the salon every 2 to 3 weeks because I can't get it straight at home. My beautician uses either Affirm or Mizani Relaxer (she doesn't discuss that with me). If you have questions about a specific product, I can render my opinion. However, one works for one person may not work for another.

pebbles

Hi Leshia, /images/graemlins/wave.gif

It's true for everyone. No matter what your hair has been through, you can get it on the right track to good health again. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

chyna

Hi and thanks for making me feel so welcome /images/graemlins/smile.gif. My stylist normally sets roller sets my hair. On my last visit, she put my hair up in a french roll so as not to put any stress on the broken area. And she will be deep conditioning my hair on each visit to get the area back on track. She also uses a Straight request relaxer.

chyna

ORS Temple balm /images/graemlins/confused.gif, I don't think I've ever heard of that line, where do you purchase it?

chyna

Do you wash your hair at home at all and if so what products do you use on it. Also in between salon visits, what maintenance products do you use. I realize that what works for some doesn't work for all. But the best way to get the best results is through trial and error /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

pebbles

Hi Chyna,

If she usually does a rollerset and you know what products she uses, I think that you should be able to get your hair as smooth as when you go to the salon. Do you know what line of products she uses? Is the Straight request relaxer a brand of relaxer? Is it lye or no-lye? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pebbles

Hi Chyna,

ORS is Organic Root Stimulator. You should easily find that brand of products at your local beauty supply store. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pebbles

If you can't get the products your hairdresser uses, you can try to use some other products like the Elucence line of shampoos and conditioners. I've also read good things about the L'anza line of products as well. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ms_kenesha

What way do you style your hair at home? There are some great threads on rollersetting and for me it gives my hair that hairdresser look (when I do it right /images/graemlins/laugh.gif). As for the breakage do you know what caused it, chemical damage, appliance damage, etc.?

G

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
chyna said:
Do you wash your hair at home at all and if so what products do you use on it. Also in between salon visits, what maintenance products do you use. I realize that what works for some doesn't work for all. But the best way to get the best results is through trial and error /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

__
Sometimes I wash my hair the day before the salon wash because I want to deep condition. I use Better Braid Sheen Spray mixed with Vanilla Shea Butter (bought from the herbal store) and my hair smells delicious and is very shiny. I wash once a month with ProActiv Dandruff shampoo and follow with a moisturizing shampoo or my Lanza Protein Repair Shampoo. I condition at home with my Cathy Howse Recipe mix (see recipe board) followed by a a moisturizing conditioner. I dry it at home by spraying Cathy Howse's Dew followed by Lanza's Urban Elements Foam. I get a trim whenever my beautician does it (once every 5 weeks). I get a relaxer once every 5 weeks. I use wide tooth combs and tortoise shell combs only. Daily maintenance consists of spraying my hair with the Better Braids Sheen Spray, follow it with the Cathy Howse Dew and combing it straight and leaving the house. My hair is about 3 inches past the shoulders in the back and about .5 inches past the shoulders in the front. Last year, in January, my hair was about ear length.

chyna

Actually I went to my dermatologist yesterday because the way the hair came out was really strange it was over a weekend and by that Monday it was really noticeable. Initially I didn't think it was stress because while I had been under a lot of stress, I didn't feel particularly stressed at that time. /images/graemlins/frown.gif My dermatologist looked at my scalp and saw no scalp damage (as from chemicals) and asked me had I been stressed or sick in the last couple of months. He said that it appeared to be stress related to him and that stress related hair shedding takes a while to manifest into the scalp. And between last June and now I have endured one stressful situation after another /images/graemlins/confused.gif So I guess I just have to deal with the stress better and hope that whatever hair was going to come outhas already done so.

I will have to check out those threads on roller setting because I normally just put keracare foam on my hair and sit under the dryer and bump my hair with a not-to-hot curling iron. But I try to do my hair at home as little as possible. But I feel like I will need extra conditiong and care with this breakage; I will check out the threads on roller setting.