Type 4b hair and no shine Help!

sspc

Hey ladies, please help!. I have type 4b hair that just won't hold shine no matter what I do. The products start out with shine but after about 1 hour or so, the shine is lost, what can I do????

Ths is my challenge also. I've learned that 4b hair doesn't reflect light like other hair types do. Rollersetting my hair to airdry seems to give it more shine.

I also add shine (I must do this more often) with products like Aveda Shine Spray. I try to stay away from products with cones (only because of buildup) like IC Fantasia but they give shine too.

natalied said:
I have dull looking hair w/o without using products specifically for shine. I use coconut oil, have you tried that?
I know your comment is for SSPC but do you use coconut oil all over your hair for shine? I use it only on my new growth when I'm stretching my relaxer. How much do you put on your hair? And does it weigh your hair down?

All over! Not much, I put a quarter size and rub until it turns liquidy and distribute through my hair.

Isis said:
I know your comment is for SSPC but do you use coconut oil all over your hair for shine? I use it only on my new growth when I'm stretching my relaxer. How much do you put on your hair? And does it weigh your hair down?

natalied said:
All over! Not much, I put a quarter size and rub until it turns liquidy and distribute through my hair.
Thank you Natalied. I'll give that a try. I could have done it all along but for some reason I thought it would weigh my hair down.

My 4b hair does not have a natural shine or sheen to it either. What I am attempting to do for the long haul is take flaxeseed oil capsules so that my "new growth" will hopefully have a better shine to it. In the short term, the only things that I have found to impart shine without weighing my hair down is coconut oil (as Natalied stated), or NTM healing shine serum (love, love, love).

OOPS...forgot to answer that part. No it doesn't weight it down at all. Its very light esp. compared to EVOO and Castor.
Isis said:
Thank you Natalied. I'll give that a try. I could have done it all along but for some reason I thought it would weigh my hair down.

Hey

I have type 4a/b relaxed, and I adore the Aveda Brilliant shine and control for coarse hair. It is light and moisturizing, dosen't build up, smells GREAT and shines for days. I have gotten comments (for real!) like "your hair looks like glass" and "you look so sleek" and "how do you keep it like that...". I do not use heat at all, just rub some between my palms and rub it over and thru my hair.

Now if I could get some length with that shine, I'd be SET!

(sigh)

the prize is the journey

Blu

bluwatersoul said:
Hey

I have type 4a/b relaxed, and I adore the Aveda Brilliant shine and control for coarse hair. It is light and moisturizing, dosen't build up, smells GREAT and shines for days. I have gotten comments (for real!) like "your hair looks like glass" and "you look so sleek" and "how do you keep it like that...". I do not use heat at all, just rub some between my palms and rub it over and thru my hair.

Now if I could get some length with that shine, I'd be SET!

(sigh)

the prize is the journey

Blu
Blu, I use and love Aveda products, the Brilliant line. Is yours actually called "Shine and Control for Coarse Hair"? I have the "Aveda Brilliant Spray On For Hair" made with essential oils, silica and other ingredients including the good kind of alcohol, which is ok except I forget I even have it. It smells like a nice smelling hair spray. Yours sound like a pomade and I haven't seen that one in my Aveda catalog. I want it!!

Did you get yours from the Aveda salon or on-line?
Oh, and welcome to LHCF Bluwatersoul! :wave:

Last edited:
Isis said:
Blu, I use and love Aveda products, the Brilliant line. Is yours actually called "Shine and Control for Coarse Hair"? I have the "Aveda Brilliant Spray On For Hair" made with essential oils, silica and other ingredients including the good kind of alcohol, which is ok except I forget I even have it. It smells like a nice smelling hair spray. Yours sound like a pomade and I haven't seen that one in my Aveda catalog. I want it!!

Did you get yours from the Aveda salon or on-line?
Oh, and welcome to LHCF Bluwatersoul! :wave:

[Hey Isis, thanks for the welcome! LHCF is already becoming an addiction for me. :)

OK, the tube says "Aveda Brilliant Universal Styling Creme....definition, moisture and shine for coarse hair". Its a white cream in a tube, and I think I paid about 16. for the 5 oz tube. Expensive, but that tube lasts me about 3-4 months. And the shine is great, no grease at all just moisture. I wish I had it when I was natural. I am stretching out my touch up for the first time (I am at 8 weeks and about to lose my MIND :eek: ) but it keeps even the new growth sealed and shiny. And I LOVE the way it smells!

I actually got this in Duane Reade drugstore, they have a *few* Aveda products there. Although; there is a main branch of the salon near my job, and its the same price.

the prize is the journey
Blu

For a longer lasting solution, you could always use a clear rinse/cellophane. I'm a shine challenged 4b also, but Sebastian's Coloushines gives my hair major bling.

bluwatersoul said:
[Hey Isis, thanks for the welcome! LHCF is already becoming an addiction for me. :)

OK, the tube says "Aveda Brilliant Universal Styling Creme....definition, moisture and shine for coarse hair". Its a white cream in a tube, and I think I paid about 16. for the 5 oz tube. Expensive, but that tube lasts me about 3-4 months. And the shine is great, no grease at all just moisture. I wish I had it when I was natural. I am stretching out my touch up for the first time (I am at 8 weeks and about to lose my MIND :eek: ) but it keeps even the new growth sealed and shiny. And I LOVE the way it smells!

I actually got this in Duane Reade drugstore, they have a *few* Aveda products there. Although; there is a main branch of the salon near my job, and its the same price.

the prize is the journey
Blu
Yours is in a tube? I may have tried this before in the past, not in a tube but in a jar. I thought it was best for natural heads. Hmmm... I'll do some more research on this one. Maybe it was the Aveda Humectant that I tried, not the Universal Styling Creme.

I use the Aveda Brilliant Anti-Humectant Pomade which does give shine, not as much as you described though. Most of the shine comes from the castor oil in it and it is very light. I use it mainly to seal moisture in and keep outside moisture out so it won't frizz as much. Thank you! I may stop in the Aveda salon tomorrow. The owner will let me try it before buying.

Thanks ladies for your suggestions. This is a great 'supportive' forum.
I'll try that coconut oil today. To:MeccaMedinah, I am completley natural and I wear my hair in two stand twists or when I have the time I roll it on perm rods for tiny spiral curls, it's really cute but time consuming.

Isis said:
Yours is in a tube? I may have tried this before in the past, not in a tube but in a jar. I thought it was best for natural heads. Hmmm... I'll do some more research on this one. Maybe it was the Aveda Humectant that I tried, not the Universal Styling Creme.

I use the Aveda Brilliant Anti-Humectant Pomade which does give shine, not as much as you described though. Most of the shine comes from the castor oil in it and it is very light. I use it mainly to seal moisture in and keep outside moisture out so it won't frizz as much. Thank you! I may stop in the Aveda salon tomorrow. The owner will let me try it before buying.

I have the Aveda anti-humectant pomade, and while it did add *some* shine it made my hair feel a little greasy and attracted some dirt. I am not crazy about it - in fact if you want mine you can have it! But yeah, its in a tube. Here is a link from Drugstore.com [

Aveda Styling Creme

bluwatersoul said:
I have the Aveda anti-humectant pomade, and while it did add *some* shine it made my hair feel a little greasy and attracted some dirt. I am not crazy about it - in fact if you want mine you can have it! But yeah, its in a tube. Here is a link from Drugstore.com [

Aveda Styling Creme
Hmm... I never did get a greasy result from the anti-humectant or dirty hair. Thank you very much Bluwatersoul for the link!

Did you try the coconut oil on the length of your hair yet?

Isis said:

sspc said:
Thanks ladies for your suggestions. This is a great 'supportive' forum.
I'll try that coconut oil today. To:MeccaMedinah, I am completley natural and I wear my hair in two stand twists or when I have the time I roll it on perm rods for tiny spiral curls, it's really cute but time consuming.

Sounds like you wear you hair just like mine. I think I'm 4a but I'll tell you what I do and you see if it works for you.

1-2 times a week (conditioner wash)
I conditioner wash, band, moisturize w/ creme mix below[finger tip full on length-I add a tad more to the ends of each twist(still have 1 inch relaxed ends)].Twist and set on perm rods. I wear twist outs. I use surge mixed w/ castor oil on my edges. I shampoo once in a blue moon.

No heat at all.

Hollywood beauty's carrot creme w/Africa's Best herbal oil. Surge w/ castor oil(hairline only).

Conditioners for con washes:Giovanni's 50:50 remoisturizer & VO5's Kiwi & Lime,V05's Oasis Lavender, Pantene Relaxed & Natural.

Try the Elucence Moisture Barrier Balm. This product gives hair a serious shine without being too heavy. Products with squalene in them also seem to give more shine than silicones do.

Back