Beyonce...Opinions???

pattyr5

I was watching television yesterday and the Ferria commercial played with Beyonce and her sister Solange. Thinking about all the changes to hair styles and hair textures that I've seen Beyonce wear over the years I wondered if the public ever gets to actually see her real hair. I am not an expert in any kind of way, so I'm not suggesting that I can detect a weave or wig...However, I have read different articles and comments that say she is not wearing her natural hair out....

So my question is this, when it comes to celebrities who use weaves and wigs and whatever else, is it fair for them to be spokespersons for haircare products? If consumers make decisions to buy things that are "endorsed" by celebtrities because they claim to use these products, should we not at least get to see how they actually look? I think Beyonce is a beautiful girl and can sell lots of things, but not hair products. Especially as a person with ethnic/textured hair, I am always so interested in seeing products used by those who may have the same hair type as mine. I like color and would love to use Ferria but I'm afraid to use it on my relaxed hair.

Does anyone else feel this way???

brownelovely

They are just using her name...we all know she Lace Fronts it up on the regular so who really knows what her hair looks like underneath at this point.

Keen

I would go as far as saying that many don't know that's not her hair. My friend said that one of her Indian Co-workers thought Beyonce was white because she has blonde hair...

Pandora1975

I hate how many things are marketed, so I'm gonna hold my opinion on this one, but I have to jokingly ask:

Maybe she used the Ferria on the wig/weave? :Blush2:

pattyr5

Yes some of the white women can be using weave and wigs as well, but is it fair to say that coloring for that hair type is all the same?? I mean the colr takes or it doesn't...but with my relazed hair their are so many other implications. I mean I know lots of white women who color, bleach, perm and basically torture their hair within days of eachother. We know to not even think about doing that stuff.

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I totally understand your point and agree with you about questioning whether it's fair. I know it's all about marketing and who knows who really uses the products. But one campaign I was impressed with was Dark and Lovely when they used Kelly Rowland, Nia Long and I believe Keyshia Cole with their actual relaxed hair (at the time). We know they weave it up but at least in the campaign pictures they don't appear to be rocking a weave or wig. Although I think some tracks may have been snuck in Kelly's.

I "think" that was Beyonce's actual hair in that Feria commercial (or at least probably most of it). I know it was the most natural style I've ever seen her rock. But other than that commercial, I don't think we ever see her hair without any "help" and I totally understand why, with the pressures of Hollywood and all. But I guess with a weave/wig you still need to color your own hair to blend in so I guess she's not technically deceiving us. :look:

And speaking of marketing scams, we know darn well Star Jones doesn't wear Payless Shoes!!! :lachen:

Mercie

A lot of models wear weaves.

If you watched ANTM they put tracks in a lot of the girls' hair.

It is the same thing with mascara commercials, you can't really tell if the mascara works or not because the models are wearing fake eyelashes anyways.

MsBoinglicious

Well I am an informed consumer. I know every magazine ad, billboard ad and even those hamburgers on the Burger King Commercials all need "help". So when I see celebs I know it took a whole team of air-brushers, hair stylists, wardrobe army, camera tricks, camera lighting and even camera film editing to make the product what it is. I have even seen Asian commercials where the hair seems digitally animated and fake and they have the straightest hair out of all of us and they need help. So I don’t put anything past any of them when it comes to marketing a product.

From pictures of when Bey was a kid she had thick long hair. So we all know what hair should look like. But as far as the commercials, I assume that they add all those things above I stated and a few tracks to "make it work" for her.

MummysGirl

I don't feel the same way. I, personally, do not care if Beyonce is wearing a lacefront or a weave. Most of the hair products she advertises are of no interest to me.

I don't think it has anything to do with being fair. These companies want big names to market their products. The image they were drawn to was Beyonce with all the different big hairdos she rocks in her videos, concerts and appearances. And if Beyonce had walked in there with her real hair, they'd have done things to "spice up" her hairdo = lacefront or weave.

Most of us black people know it's not her hair but L'Oreal are obviously making the money they need to, to continue using someone who wears weave. Why will they care what we think?

Like other ladies have stated already, most commercials are full of lies (most of the people in the ads do not use the product they are advertising). Mascara, beauty products, Slimming ads, you name it.

One thing I definitely would like to see is more commercials (ON TV) for hair products for both natural and relaxed ladies with "textured" (not a fan of this but can't think of anyo other way to define it) hair. For now, I guess we'll see then in mags like Essence, etc.

Last edited:

silvergirl

fair? probably not. but then again im not going to buy anything just because a celebrity or anyone else says so. i like to research things for myself.

add the fact that even if beyonce or whomever wore their real hair. they probably dont even use the product anyways.......

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I'm embarrassed to say that I fell for the colorshine enhancing mascara that Rihanna campaigned for with Cover Girl or was it Revlon?? :spinning: Knowing they flashed a flashlight in that girl's already bright hazel/green eyes.
Running to hide in shame.:hide:

pattyr5

Yes, I understand that there is alot of falsehoods in advertising. And perhaps none of the celebrity endorsements come from people who actually use the products. I love the colors on the Ferria product line, but I have never seen a box with a black face on it. How do I know if this product is safe for my hair?? So using celebrities of color imply that "I" could probably use this product. After all, the choice to market with Beyonce is done with the intent to sell to african american consumer is it not? Anytime I color I end up using Dark and Lovely, not because I think they are the best but because I think they are safe. If color is color, why doesn't D&L ever use white models in their advertisements?? Now maybe the manufacturers of black hair care products don't have the same marketing budgets to hire the big name celebrities but I would sure like to see more of them. When I see Gabrielle Union, Queen Latifah and others who appear to be relaxed I wonder what products they actually use. Seeing people with "natural" hair that is short and unrelaxed throws up a red flag.

Anaksunamon

LOL Hairsnob!! :lachen:

I "LOVE" how they use fake eyelashes to advertise mascara. As a fake eyelash wearer I can spot that right away.

Since I started wearing my fake eyelashes I don't even other with mascara at all anymore.

Sorry to get off topic.

Down here in the southwest Mexican women wear TONS of fake hair. They really do it up. All sorts of carts at the mall with long lush pony tails and various extensions for sale.

People around here are confused about Beyonce as well. They try to make everybody hispanic. LOL! :drunk:

(I am tired of being spoken to in Spanish though . . . :nono:)

crazydaze911

Yeah, i saw that commercial the other day and was thinking the same thing - how can she indorse color when its not her real hair? Her real hair is thin in that pic and again it looks thin here in this first attachment, but thick and natural at the roots in the second..

Dont know what the time line is or which pic came first though...

Attachments

• beyonce rea hair.jpg
    beyonce rea hair.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 87
  • beyoncerealhair thicker.jpg
    beyoncerealhair thicker.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 100

crazydaze911

LOL Hairsnob!! :lachen:

I "LOVE" how they use fake eyelashes to advertise mascara. As a fake eyelash wearer I can spot that right away.

Since I started wearing my fake eyelashes I don't even other with mascara at all anymore.

Sorry to get off topic.

Down here in the southwest Mexican women wear TONS of fake hair. They really do it up. All sorts of carts at the mall with long lush pony tails and various extensions for sale.

People around here are confused about Beyonce as well. They try to make everybody hispanic. LOL! :drunk:

(I am tired of being spoken to in Spanish though . . . :nono:)

What kind of lashes to u use? the whole strip from the drug store, the expensive individuals at the salon or....?

brownbean96

Hi crazydaze, from what I understand her hair is natural - she grew out her relaxer several years ago. So the first picture seems like she has her hair straight - flatiron, etc - and the second the hair is in it's natural state. I've heard a lot of female actresses/entertainers don't get relaxers or grow them out (like Queen Latifah, Golden Brooks - I think that's her name her character on tv was Mya from girlfriends) because of the constant manipulation (weaves, heat, color etc.) that they endure while working.
Yeah, i saw that commercial the other day and was thinking the same thing - how can she indorse color when its not her real hair? Her real hair is thin in that pic and again it looks thin here in this first attachment, but thick and natural at the roots in the second..

Dont know what the time line is or which pic came first though...

pattyr5

@Crazydaze...wow I actually have never seen pictures of Beyonce without the wigs and etc. Not hating 'cause my hair is not where I want it...but yeah it looks very thin and weak.

On the eyelash thing....I use MAC...they are usually around $12 but I can get a few uses out of them with care. Some of the drugstore lashes are too straight for me to manipulate and put on well...the Revlon lashes were ok.

I'm embarrassed to say that I fell for the colorshine enhancing mascara that Rihanna campaigned for with Cover Girl or was it Revlon?? :spinning: Knowing they flashed a flashlight in that girl's already bright hazel/green eyes.
Running to hide in shame.:hide:
Lol!! That's too funny! When I first saw the beyonce's commercial I didn't recognize her b/c she usually has alot more hair on her head. My husband and I was wondering if it was her real hair. I can only hope so but most of the pictures I have seen was not of her real hair. But like the previous poster says its marketing. Beyonce is beautiful, she is a fantastic entertainer so whether its her hair or not people are going to go out and get that color b/c they want to be just like her.

Bluetopia

Here hair is super super thin and doesn't look healthy to me. How could it be, she's always wearing weaves which leaves little timt to take of your own hair.

This confuses me. :ohwell: Considering many ladies on and off these hair boards use wigs, lacefronts and weaves as a protective style to grow and retain long beautiful thick hair.....shouldnt that mean that a celebrity with an arsenal of beauticians at their disposal should be able to use wigs to grow and retain long healthy hair as well?

how can a female in Brooklyn or D.C doing her hair in her kitchen and rocking a half wig to work grow healthier hair than someone who is filthy rich and has more accessibility to indulge in healthy hair practices?

I mean you mean to tell me I can wear a halfwig in a hair challenge to get to APL and eventually BSL/MBL length - but a celeb rocks a lacefront and she has thinning anemic looking hair??

Thats some funny math cause something aint right about that equation. :nono:

What am I missing here?

Can someone explain? :look:

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
I always wondered this about celebs too. And even when they wear wigs and weaves alot of times it looks busted. All that money and you still wear a raggedy weave?

Then I remembered, they too are subject to the ignorance we grew up thinking about our hair.

pattyr5

Its not about judging anyones hair practices cause we all want to do things to protect our hair. And in the same position I would be wearing wigs all the time too...I love my half wigs and phony ponies..but with that being said in my OP I questioned if she should be the chosen spokesperson for Feria? I love her color...but is that her hair? does she use Feria? More importantly can Feria be used by people of color...people who relax, texlax, perm?? My assumption is that she was chosen for her celebrity but also to attach a certain consumer..maybe young ppl, urban ppl, african americans??? But why market to us if your product is not good for us...why endorse something we can't use. When I was on the L'Oreal/Feria website I did this color selection test to chose what product is right for me and each time they come up with Excellence Creme and Superior Preference...not Feria. Even when I change up some of my responses it still points me in that direction. So I have concluded that Feria really can't or shouldnt be used by people of color. A damn shame 'cause some of their colors are hot.

brownbean96

In my humble opinion (smile) unlike us humble folk, who don't necessarily need to look glamorous at any given moment like B, she is probably always working and her wigs/weaves, etc. are part of her work attire. We can wear a wig for a few weeks and then look to nourish and take care of our hair outside of the wig for the next week or whatever, wearing buns, ponytails, rollersets whatever on our own hair but if Beyonce is working -doing a show, interview, etc. she doesn't have that luxury (based on how she likes to present herself to the public). So if she is always working, to me, that leaves little time to get to know and take care of your hair - regardless if you have the best stylists money can buy or not, if you are not taking care of your hair it will not be in optimal health - money can't change that.
This confuses me. :ohwell: Considering many ladies on and off these hair boards use wigs, lacefronts and weaves as a protective style to grow and retain long beautiful thick hair.....shouldnt that mean that a celebrity with an arsenal of beauticians at their disposal should be able to use wigs to grow and retain long healthy hair as well?

how can a female in Brooklyn or D.C doing her hair in her kitchen and rocking a half wig to work grow healthier hair than someone who is filthy rich and has more accessibility to indulge in healthy hair practices?

I mean you mean to tell me I can wear a halfwig in a hair challenge to get to APL and eventually BSL/MBL length - but a celeb rocks a lacefront and she has thinning anemic looking hair??

Thats some funny math cause something aint right about that equation. :nono:

What am I missing here?

Can someone explain? :look:

brownbean96

Also, since Beyonce wears her hair straight a lot - when she is wearing weaves (not lacefront wigs) I have a feeling she must get her natural hair straightened - flat-ironed/whatever - a lot to maintain those straight looks (like her signature high ponytail). And we know what using lots of heat does to our hair - damage.

In my humble opinion (smile) unlike us humble folk, who don't necessarily need to look glamorous at any given moment like B, she is probably always working and her wigs/weaves, etc. are part of her work attire. We can wear a wig for a few weeks and then look to nourish and take care of our hair outside of the wig for the next week or whatever, wearing buns, ponytails, rollersets whatever on our own hair but if Beyonce is working -doing a show, interview, etc. she doesn't have that luxury (based on how she likes to present herself to the public). So if she is always working, to me, that leaves little time to get to know and take care of your hair - regardless if you have the best stylists money can buy or not, if you are not taking care of your hair it will not be in optimal health - money can't change that.

Jewell

Not sure how many people know it, but that Feria commercial has to be like 2-4 years old. I remember seeing it consistently for at least the last 2+ years. I have seen (what I believe to be) Bey's real hair in the "Halo" video with her and Michael Ealy, and in the Nintendo DS Brain Game commercial with her nephew Daniel. It looks like natural pressed hair IMO. You can definitely tell the difference in those two advertisements I described (in her hair) versus the long lace front/weaves she wears when performing or at awards shows. I think she has nice natural hair, if that's her's. Looks like it to me.:look:

I also believe that was all her natural hair when she sang "At Last" at the Obama Inaugural celebration where Barack and Michelle had their lovely dance together.

As for the Feria, my aunt has used it with good results, she has 3c/3b hair. I also think she's used the L'Oreal Hydrience permanent hair color. As for me, I rarely use anything a celebrity endorses just because of that fact---its all about the dolla dolla bills ya'll. They rarely believe in what they're selling unless its their movie or album. :look:

Last edited: