Biblical Holy Days

cheetarah1980

With the holiday season upon us, I was just wondering if there were any out there that celebrate the Biblical feasts/holy days. Personally, I don't celebrate Christmas (family makes it hard to completely remove myself from the day). Figured I'd start a thread for others who have decided not to participate in Christmas but want to share what their families will be doing to recognize Christ as Messiah.

For me this will be my second year celebrating Hanukkah, which starts Tuesday. My Bible study will be lighting the first candle that night and remembering Jesus' miracles and ministries. Is anyone else celebrating too?

Cichelle

Chanukah is not a Biblical holy day. It isn't mentioned in the Hebrew Bible. Is it mentioned in the GT? Or are you referring to the Apocrypha?

cheetarah1980

Yeah...it's in Maccabees. I know Hanukkah isn't one of the appointed times/biblical feasts. However, I celebrate it because as a Jew, Jesus more than likely did as well, and it is alluded to in scripture (I need to find the exact chapter and verse). There is a lot of Messianic significance to the festival. Ultimately, I just want to follow the master and do what he did. :yep:

Cichelle

Yeah...it's in Maccabees. I know Hanukkah isn't one of the appointed times/biblical feasts. However, I celebrate it because as a Jew, Jesus more than likely did as well, and it is alluded to in scripture (I need to find the exact chapter and verse). There is a lot of Messianic significance to the festival. Ultimately, I just want to follow the master and do what he did. :yep:

The Book of Maccabees is Apocrypha. I know that Catholics and, I think, the Eastern Orthodox religion accept some of these books as part of their Bible. But I was under the impression that most Protestants do not. I have no idea what religion/denomination you are. I'm just trying to understand where you are coming from.

Two questions for you:

Do you refer to the other books of apocrypha or just the Maccabees?

Do you keep kosher or follow other Jewish laws that Jsus might have kept? Is it your understanding that this is what is expected of you?

Note 1:

I use the term "Apocrypha" in a neutral way. Some people use it in a derogatory fashion, but I don't mean it that way. I'm just referring to certain of books.

Note 2:

I ask these questions to try to understand. I'm not looking for a debate. As a Jew, I am very, very clear about what Chanukah does and does not mean or signify and it differs from what you appear to believe. This is not the forum to discuss/debate this at length, obviously. I'm simply trying to understand where you are coming from and maybe others can learn as well. You can also choose to ignore this post or send me a private message. Either way, for whatever it means to you, have a happy Chanukah. Gd bless.

cheetarah1980

The Book of Maccabees is Apocrypha. I know that Catholics and, I think, the Eastern Orthodox religion accept some of these books as part of their Bible. But I was under the impression that most Protestants do not. I have no idea what religion/denomination you are. I'm just trying to understand where you are coming from.

Two questions for you:

Do you refer to the other books of apocrypha or just the Maccabees?

Do you keep kosher or follow other Jewish laws that Jsus might have kept? Is it your understanding that this is what is expected of you?

Note 1:

I use the term "Apocrypha" in a neutral way. Some people use it in a derogatory fashion, but I don't mean it that way. I'm just referring to certain of books.

Note 2:

I ask these questions to try to understand. I'm not looking for a debate. As a Jew, I am very, very clear about what Chanukah does and does not mean or signify and it differs from what you appear to believe. This is not the forum to discuss/debate this at length, obviously. I'm simply trying to understand where you are coming from and maybe others can learn as well. You can also choose to ignore this post or send me a private message. Either way, for whatever it means to you, have a happy Chanukah. Gd bless.

Oh, no worries Cichelle. Didn't think you were looking for debate at all.

Question 1: Honestly, I haven't read the apochrypha beyond the verses in Macabees detailing Hanukkah. I was only introduced to Christ followers celebrating Hanukkah a couple of years ago. To be clear, I'm in no way saying that Hanukkah is in celebration of Jesus. It's a celebration of the miracle of the lights and redemption and I know that. In observing the festival we're simply trying to do what Jesus did too. And in the story of Hanukkah and the prayers and traditional Torah readings we look for how God points to Messiah. For example, my Bible study group is in a year long Torah study which we started Oct. 6 with B'reisheet. We study the scripture to learn the history of God's people, His covenant with them, and we closely examine passages that are considered Messianic in nature and see if/how they point to Jesus.

Question 2: I'm also learning to keep kosher as outlined in Leviticus. I don't eat pork (haven't eaten that since I was 17 though for other reasons); and cut out shellfish and seafood without both fins and scales a little over a year ago (I gotta admit I had a tough time cutting out the shrimp at first). I'm still researching whether it's necessary to also keep dairy and meat separated cause thus far I'm getting conflicting answers. I didn't grow up keeping Shabbat, however I've cut out all paid working from Friday evening to Saturday evening. Once again, still learning about proper observance as what one person deems permissible another does not and scripture isn't totally clear on every aspect. All I know is that Shabbat is NOT meant to be a burden. I also observe the Biblical feasts outlined. Thus far, Passover is my favorite.

I'm still learning a lot about the Hebraic roots of Christianity. A lot of it has been brushed aside for so long. From my understanding when someone is a disciple of their Rabbi they don't just study his teachings, they walk as he walked, talk as he talked, and do what he did. That's my goal too.

Cichelle

That was a wonderful reply. Thank you for taking the time to explain. I understand much better where you are coming from, even though I might disagree in some ways. Gd bless you on your spiritual path.