Taking Back Christmas

divya

TAKING BACK CHRISTMAS

Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord” (Luke 2:11).

“Christmas.” Just saying the word conjures up emotional euphoria. Snow sprinkling down on rosy cheeks. Twinkling lights on each house. Smiling faces and festive decorations making our mood bright. Memories of Christmas past with gifts under the tree and the laughing with visiting family members make Christmas a loved and honored tradition. There is really only one problem: Jesus doesn’t like it.

As your mind swirls with adjectives to dispute that statement, wait—I want to explain. I know Christmas is about Jesus’ birthday—though that birthday couldn’t possibly be December 25. Christians celebrate Christmas in His honor.

If we set the history of Christmas aside, and we focus on what Christmas is, we have to conclude that Jesus is the key to Christmas. After all, He is the Christ in Christmas. Since Christmas is all about Jesus, you’ve got to be wondering why I’m saying that Jesus doesn’t like it.

That’s easy—Jesus wouldn’t celebrate Christmas like we do. Let’s contrast what we do on Christmas with what Christ did here on earth to please God.

Jesus celebrates Christmas

We get together with family on Christmas. Jesus didn’t really hang out with family so much. During His ministry you never found Him at home with His mother and brothers eating a big dinner. Jesus focused His attention on neglected people and poor people. He didn’t spend a lot of time celebrating birthdays or holidays. The Bible writers focus on what He did the most, and that was “to seek and to save what was lost” (Luke 19:10).

We enjoy a big meal on Christmas. Jesus asks us to give to those who are poor and hungry. You can cite the feeding of the 5,000 and Passover as big meals. But the point of those meals was to feed someone else. When Jesus fed the 5,000, He prevented the crowd from going physically hungry. At the last supper, He prevents us from going spiritually hungry. I imagine that Jesus would be out feeding the hungry on Christmas.

We give each other gifts on Christmas. When you read Luke 2 this holiday season, try and find someone besides Jesus who received gifts. Jesus was the only person to get anything on Christmas. The holiday hype of gifts and presents, the economic boom of billions of dollars going toward things we will use once or wear out doesn’t please God.

True presents are stored in heaven, where they can’t be worn out. And if you want to give Jesus a present, give Him what He wants most: for you “to act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God” (Micah 6:8).

Remember, too, that “whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me,” and “whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me” (Matthew 25:40, 45).

Changing focus

Jesus doesn’t believe spending time with family, eating big meals together, or giving gifts are bad. If Christmas were just one day, it may not be so complicated. But Christmas starts at Thanksgiving and continues until after New Year’s. And Jesus knows that when you focus only on gifts, food, and family during the Christmas season, you miss the truth about why He came and what He gave us.

If you want to have a Christ-centered Christmas this year, help somebody who can’t give back. I don’t mean dropping a dollar in a red bucket while a guy is ringing a bell. I mean, get out like Christ did and help someone. Donating money to charity is great, but what about your time? There are lots of lonely people out there on Christmas who could use your help. Celebrate Christmas the way Jesus did—give of yourself.

Asa Solomon McCullum is the assistant dean of men at Andrews University in Berrien Springs, Michigan. In his spare time he’s a student, writer, athlete, and cop.

http://www.insightmagazine.org/cover/index.asp?issueID=20081651