Big Chop Blues

kandi1280

I am currently having big chop blues. Today marks one week since I cut my hair and I am miserable. My hair is nice right after a wash and I apply my products, but by 12 noon its dry. I have tried putting everything in it but nothing helps. I can't put it in a pony tail, I can't really comb it or brush it. All I have is my lil' afro.

Its just a little hard after being relaxed for so long. I tried the kemi oly shea butter pomade and absolutley hated it. (If anyone wants it pm me and I will send it to you.)

how long does this funk last?
frown.gif

Sorry to hear you are not happy with your hair.
kiss.gif
It'll be alright! You just need to put together a new routine for your new hair. Can you tell us more about what products you use and maybe we can help.

Currently my favorite products are:

elasta qp mango butter
sauve awamphui conditioner for conditioner washes
Neutrogena triple moisture silk touch and foam leave-in
Salerm 21
Aussie slip - for detangling
Neutrogena triple moisture serum
keracare essential oils
pure 100% jojoba oil
Pure lavendar essential oil
Kemi oyl shea butter - hated it.
Lily of the desert 99%aloe vera gel

Usually after I conditioner wash I apply a little of the jojoba oil all over. Then I apply the mango butter all while my hair is drippig wet. Then I put a little aloe vera gel and that's it. It usually lasts me until noon. At luch I go home and then I spritz with my lavendar spritz (olive oil, lavendar oil and distilled water) After the sprtiz I apply the silk touch to moisten my hair again for the remainder of the day.

I had issues with dryness to after my BC. I just learned to travel with a spray bottle filled with glycerin and water. My hair was constantly moisturized.

It has been my experience that aloe vera gel can be very drying. I was also going to suggest that you carry a small travel size spray bottle for quick touch ups during the day. I like to use the NTM silk touch on my daughter's natural hair and my relaxed hair. I find that to be very moisturizing for air dried hair.

May I suggest keeping a small bottle of leave in conditioner with you and when your hair feels dry, put some conditioner in your hand and use your fingers to apply it evenly through your hair, concentrating on the ends. ORS Hair Lotion works well for this too. I do this trick whenever my hair starts to look parched. Putting a creamy conditioner or lotion directly onto dry hair makes it immediately look and feel moisturized! And it should last for most of the afternoon/evening. This has worked much better for me than spritzing with water& oil concoctions.

like simplycee said aloe vera gel can be very drying for some people. I suggest you try suave humectant for conditioner washes, it can also be used as a leave in. also some naturals follow a no-oil routine which you may want find helpful, you can use glycerine based moisturizers instead (s-curl, homemade glycerine water mix etc.) Also check your product ingredient labels for protein because some protein containing products always make my hair dry and brittle. Dont worry you'll eventually fine the products that work for you. its only a week give it time
smile.gif

If it's been awhile since you've done a deep conditioner or a hot oil treatment, that might help with the overall moisture of your hair. I think keeping a mixture of water and glycerin might also be a good idea.
smile.gif

maybe back off some of the oils for a bit and see if it gets better....

start off using a few products at a time and give them time to work, and if they dont, switch to some more

Back