Birth control pills and hair breakage

kiara8255

I am thinking about getting on birth control pills soon. I'm thinking about Ortotricyclen. I've tried to do some research on birth control pills and hair breakage and every site mentioned an increase in hair shedding and some even mentioned hair loss.

For those of you on birth control pills, did you notice an increase in breakage and/or hair loss when you started taking them? I would hate for all of the work I've put into the care of my hair to be destroyed by BC pills.

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
well I have been on birth control for almost 2 years now and I like it. I think there was a small increase in hair shedding but went away. No hair loss though. Nothing that a weekly light protein treatment can't handle. Don't be scurred Girl!

BTW-OrthoTricylen is better than the Lo version to prevent pregnancy

Phoenix

I took Ortho for about 7 years with no problems with my hair. It also helped make my skin really clear.

candibaby

I just got off Tri Levlen 28 and had no problems on that.. I'm switching to another pill this week so I guess I'll have to wait and find out..

Mizani_Mrs

I been on orthotricyclen for like 4yrs, and 2yrs ago i switched to the Lo version. I disagree with the young lady that said the 'Lo' version is not as safe as the regular version. My doc said Lo is just as effective and safe, they made the Lo because they realize that most women do not need that strong of a dosage of horomones as you would find in the regular version. Anywhoo...i've never noticed alot of shedding, i don't believe i have shedding actually. I have breakage though. Dont be scared to use it.....now that you are wise, just carefully monitor your hair and you can stop taking the pills if it does cause you any shedding.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
During my research on birth control, I learned that if there does seem to be more shedding of the hair it is likely because the hair is growing faster and thus reaching is shedding phase quicker each time.

AllAboutTheHair

Birth control pills help regulate hormones when taken properly. Regulated hormones aid in a more balanced growth cycle for all cells, including those that make up the hair and skin. There are other foods and herbs that help keep hormones in check, but they don't prevent pregnancy!

I got back on the pill after my "biotin" acne flare up. I have been on the pill for the last 3 months, so far, no new outbreaks. All I have to do now is work on the old spots. My hair isn't shedding as much as it did when I stopped the pill (the first 3 to 6 months) or as much as it did when I was off the pill for a year (18 months later). My growth rate is the same I believe, hard to tell when the hair is all natural. HTH.

ThickHair

I have been on BCP's for over 15 years and never had a problem with my hair, unless I wasn't taking care of it (my hair) properly.

KEIONI'S MOM

I agree with ThickHair I have been on BC for over five years and have never seen a problem with hair breakage. I have had problems with weight gain but my doctor prescribed another BC (Mircette) that have maintained my weight and I am very happy with the results. HTH