BKT Warning! Ladies be careful!!! Please read

RockCreak

I was lookin into possible getting my hair BKT until I ran across this article just posted today:

Warnings About Brazilian Blowout Hair Treatments:

"State officials in Oregon and hair stylists are raising concerns about a expensive hair-care solution called Brazilian Blowout that contains unsafe levels of formaldehyde, a chemical linked to cancer.
The treatment converts frizzy or kinky hair into smooth locks, a 90-minute process that costs between $250 and $350.
After stylists complained of chest pains, sore throats and even bloody noses from exposure to the treatment, the Oregon Occupational Safety and Health Administration began testing the solution and found significant amounts of formaldehyde, The Oregonian reported.
Classified as a carcinogen by the World Health Organization, formaldehyde is linked to cancer of the lungs, blood and nasal passages.
Oregon officials tested 105 samples from 54 Oregon salons and found that formaldehyde content averaged more than 8 percent in Brazilian Blowout, even when many bottles were marked formaldehyde-free, according to The Oregonian .
OSHA has warned Oregon's 21,228 licensed hair stylists about the findings.
"Some of these hair-smoothing products have more formaldehyde in them than the formalin used to preserve laboratory specimens," said Michael Wood, Oregon's Occupational Safety and Health Division administrator. (Formalin is watered-down formaldehyde.)
Nearly all the other hair smoothing products tested at less than 2.5 percent formaldehyde, according to The Oregonian.
An executive with Brazilian Blowout disputed some of OSHA's testing methods. CEO Mike Brady said his company's own tests showed formaldehyde by weight in the product at .00115 percent.
OSHA, however, advised salons that use the product to take precautions, which include providing gloves, eyewash stations and sturdy ventilation systems.
An FDA spokeswoman told The New York Times that the agency does not approve cosmetics other than color additives in advance. The FDA will respond to consumer complaints.
Canadian health authorities have already warned about the potential dangers of Brazilian Blowout.
Now the U.S. Food and Drug Administration is working with state and local authorities to determine if Brazilian Blowout and similar products known generically as Brazilian or Keratin treatments are safe.
Oregon's Board of Cosmetology is expected to take up the issue at its Nov. 8 meeting."

Warnings About Brazilian Blowout Hair Treatments

Just thought I'd share because I care! :yep:

godsflowerrr

thanks for sharing. I am too afraid to try this. I remember reading that the BKT was banned in Brazil because someone died.

Keen

If I was a stylist I would not do this services too frequent. I know the money is good but you have to consider your health also.

JJamiah

I read that .02 % was the recommended max amount to be in products. I got mine with that percentage. But it scared me as well :yep: I read it after doing my BKT :spank: I know, but I am glad I got a Low Formaldehyde brand.

LuvlyRain3

When I went with my cousin to get her hair done last Saturday I wondered why the place was so empty. An empty salon on a Saturday :perplexed: Then we saw the stylist come out with a mask and gloves on. The receptionist told us that we had to leave. When they do bkts only the stylist and the client are allowed in there. Now I understand why. Ill stick to my fluff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Long Hair Care Forum App

dlewis

When I went with my cousin to get her hair done last Saturday I wondered why the place was so empty. An empty salon on a Saturday :perplexed: Then we saw the stylist come out with a mask and gloves on. The receptionist told us that we had to leave. When they do bkts only the stylist and the client are aloud in there. Now I understand why. Ill stick to my fluff.

Are you serious??!!

LuvlyRain3

Are you serious??!!

Yes. I didn't think it was that serious though. But with all these articles that have been popping up all over the place about how dangerous bkts are I'm glad they put us out.

BlackHairDiva

My mom sent me an article , in french, with is piratically word per word what is mentioned above. The only difference is the article mentioned that the eyes can start to burn to the chemical. so blindness is a possibility.

I mean I really love the concept of the product and for me its a pain to get my hair relax because I have to go completely to Boston to do it. I love Boston but It gets expensive. I currently bought Marcia T chocolate. I have gloves, mask,a fan, but I'm still waiting for my fume extractor to arrive. I will not apply it until then. I also plan to add 2 air purifiers in the picture for safety.:yep:

Last edited:

FoxyMoxie

:nono: Any time you have to wear a mask and have the building evacuated it is too dangerous of a product. Just think of what it could be doing to the nervous system.

Kurlee

ya''ll should be careful with other brands too. If one company can mess around with the ingredients, so can the other ones, because they all claim to do the same thing and 0.02% can't straighten your hair. Be careful ya'll. Nice hair ain't worth cancer.