Brazilian Blowout (BKT) Caught In Lies - " Formaldehyde free" product tested in lab

Kurlee

So basically, they said it's formaldehyde free and it had 10% in it:blush:. I knew that stuff couldn't be trusted. These companies are just playing on people's insecurities, regardless of the health risks. They use other names to make consumers think it's not in there.:nono:

http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/research/cent...and-alerts.cfm

Contrary to the LIES and propaganda that the BRAZILIAN BLOWOUT company continues to spread about its product, here are the hard facts and test results that shows BRAZILIAN BLOWOUT CONTAINS HIGH LEVELS OF FORMALDEHYDE.
Emerging Issues and Alerts

Salon Hair Product (September 16, 2010)
The Problem
CROET was contacted by a salon based in Portland, Oregon, regarding a product used in their salon that had caused difficulty breathing, nose bleeds and eye irritation in stylists using the product as directed. The salon discontinued the use of the product, due to these adverse effects. The product, named Brazilian Blowout Solution, is used as a hair straightener and is heated with flat irons during the treatment process. The material safety data sheet accompanying the product listed no hazardous ingredients or impurities. No chemical ingredients label appears on the container. This specific product was shipped on 8/31/2009 from Brazilian Blowout and is described as “34 oz/1-Liter Brazilian Blowout Solution.”
Findings
CROET requested consultative services through Oregon OSHA to chemically analyze this product. The original container was delivered to Oregon OSHA for analysis. Test results demonstrated that the product contains 4.85% formaldehyde. The product also was found to contain methanol, ethanol, beta hydroxyl ethyl methacrylate, and hexadecanol.

Formaldehyde is classified as a probable human carcinogen and mutagen. Formaldehyde is also corrosive and can severely irritate or damage the skin, mouth, eyes and throat. Formaldehyde may cause a skin allergy and an asthma-like allergy. Employers who expose employees to this chemical are subject to the OSHA Formaldehyde Standard requiring training, air monitoring, personal protective equipment to prevent exposure, and in some cases, medical surveillance. OSHA’s Hazard Communication Standard also requires any employer with employees working with hazardous materials to provide effective training and accurate material safety data sheets to identify hazardous materials and how to prevent exposure. If a product contains more than 0.1% formaldehyde, OSHA requires the manufacturer to list it on the material safety data sheet.

CROET is awaiting analytical results for a product named Acai Professional Smoothing Solution (formaldehyde free) originally shipped by Brazilian Blowout on 8/12/2010. We will report on the analytical finding for this sample as we receive it.
Recommendation
CROET is requesting that OSHA investigate why material safety data sheets accompanying this product do not identify the hazardous constituents. CROET recommends salons using this product to contact the manufacturer to request material safety data sheets that accurately identify any hazardous ingredients, and consider evaluating less toxic alternatives. CROET recommends that consumers become informed about the possible toxicities of the salon services they are requesting, and learn about healthier alternatives.

Qtee

Re: Brazilian Blowout (BKT) Caught In Lies - " Formaldehyde free" product tested in l

Wow....Well if I ever considered it...I know better now...IMO the risks do not outweigh the benefits..

Janet'

Re: Brazilian Blowout (BKT) Caught In Lies - " Formaldehyde free" product tested in l

Thanks for the info...

ppp422

Wow. Why can't companies just be honest?

Gemini350z

My stylist said that was in it, I couldn't believe it when he said it! I would be scared to use it in my hair.

Dove56

i started to get this brand and I am so glad I didn't...other brands like the Keratin Smoothing Treatment done at Ulta only had 1%...

leleepop

I cant say Im surprised, from what Ive seen you dont even need the product to get results. I think its the heat that gives you the results.jmo

DrC

:lachen: As long as it gives great results, some women don't care and will continue to use it even if it has formaldehyde....... rat poison........ammonia mixed with 20% tiger monkey urine............some will never stop till the death................(no need for embombing) :lachen:

Dellas

Page 24:
Shows the Brands and the levels

Start at page 24--> This is actually a very good report. It tells you which brands caused the problems (not the brands listed here most often) and what conditions the salons used to limit exposure (you can see which worked best)....

The report ends with a 75 min. limit on exposure being best.....

Last edited:

Dellas

Hair products

Product Average Percent Formaldehyde

Brazilian Blowout Solution 8

Brazilian Blowout Acai Professional Smoothing solution “Formaldehyde Free” 8.8

Brazilian Gloss Keratin Smoothing Gloss 7.3

Keratin Express Brazilian Smoothing Treatment 1.2

Keratin Complex, Smoothing Therapy 1.9

Brazilian Keratin Treatment, Marcia Teixeira 1.6

Chocolate, extreme de-frizzing treatment 2.0

QOD GOLD SOLUTION 2

Kera Green Keratin and Protein Hair treatment 1.5

JK's Smoothing Treatment too low to measure

Bio Ionic Kera Smooth Anti Frizz <0.01

Pravana Naturceuticals Keratin Fusion <0.01

— Source: Oregon OSHA

Dellas

Alen Formaldehyde Screen Check Test Kits - Alen

mg1979

Thanks, OP.