Black henna

Has anyone every used "black henna" I saw a bag of it and bought it in an Indian store. I have been using the regular henna I bought online. However, it makes my hair bright red. Red but healthy. I have no intention of stopping using it. I tried using the Indigo with it, but it did not turn my hair any darker. So I bought this black henna, I think I am going to try mixing it into the regular henna I use. I am hoping my hair color will be more subdued to maybe a chestnut, or even auburn. Any thoughts, has anyone else ever done this?

vkb247

There is no such thing as black henna. There is definitely something else in it that is making it black. Hopefully it is something that is safe and natural but please proceed with caution.

If the indigo did not make your hair black it could have been a technique or quality (of the indigo) issue. I would suggest trying it again.

www.hennaforhair.com has great info.

ART11

I wouldn't fool with the black henna personally. Read some information about henna types on this page.

www.hennaforhair.com

I buy my henna there and it is top quality. Henna comes in one color - RED. That is how it grows. If you are purchasing henna in any other color, it has chemical additives. If your indigo did not change the color AT ALL, it was not fresh. I have died my hair jet black with henna + indigo - bathroom too so I am pretty sure you had a bad batch.

This is a very informative and helpful forum - lots of good info to be had there. Enjoy.

cutiebe2

Black Henna and Indigo are the same thing most of the time. If its a green powder and smells like peas then its probably indigo. All the Indigo I have says Black henna but I know its indigo.

If its black in color then its a chemical and you should be careful because it has tons of side effects. I agree with the other ladies to see how you are applying it to make sure the color releases..

♦K.O♦

I would be fearful of using any pre-mixed henna, especially on chemically treated hair or hair that has already been treated with Henna.

Indigo by itself does not make the hair black. You would have to treat your hair with regular henna, let it process, rinse, THEN treat it with indigo, let it process, and rinse. And then you will have jet black hair.

If you want a dark brown, mix 50% henna and 50% indigo, and you will only have to undergo one process. For more auburn, maybe a 2/3 henna, 1/3 indigo mix. HTH.