Bought the henna, now what?

Pandora1975

I bought 3 boxes of Jamila henna. I'm scared of it though because when my hair is wet, its thick. What can I add to make it easy to get back out. I have read most of the threads on henna- but I don't think there was a clear consensus. I'm not buying anything else, and the plain water method ain't happening. I also bought castor oil and clarifying Vo5 condish. Will that help? I'm looking for the strengthing results, don't care about color. I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, but this is the most radical thing I have done to my hair in over a year.

msa

You should probably apply it in sections and then use a really sloppy conditioner to aid in rinsing it out. I wouldn't use the clarifying one though...I'd use a moisturizing vo5. I know some people use the whole bottle to make it easier to get the henna out.

You could add something to the henna, like oil or honey, that may make it come out easier. But imo the first time you do henna it should be with just henna and water.

Pandora1975

Thank you msa. I'm starting to think of you as my hair guru :grin:

Are there any inclusions that hinder the effectiveness of henna?

myronnie

Do you want color or conditioning?
If you want color, do not add the conditioner. just add water to the henna, let it sit overnight, and apply in the morning (leave on for 3 hours). Then deep condition afterwards.
If you just want conditioning you can mix the henna with water then add conditioner and immediately apply to your hair.

msa

Thank you msa. I'm starting to think of you as my hair guru :grin:

Are there any inclusions that hinder the effectiveness of henna?

LOL glad I could help.

Do you want color or conditioning?
If you want color, do not add the conditioner. just add water to the henna, let it sit overnight, and apply in the morning (leave on for 3 hours). Then deep condition afterwards.
If you just want conditioning you can mix the henna with water then add conditioner and immediately apply to your hair.

Like myronnie said, if you want henna specifically for color then you shouldn't add anything. If you just want it for the conditioning then adding conditioner to your henna mix would be fine. But a clarifying conditioner wouldn't be a good idea no matter what. Henna can be drying by itself and the clarifying conditioner will only make that worse.

For your first time, just add water to the henna and use conditioner to get it out (something slippy and moisturizing). That way you can see how your hair reacts to henna and then adjust your mix accordingly for the next time.

taz007

I add a moisturizing conditioner, Amla and water to my henna. I pre-oil my hair overnight with Vatika oil and then apply the henna the next morning. I find that pre-oiling helps with the rinse out (got this idea from Aggie, I believe)

I rinse it out with some cheapie conditioner.

HTH.

Lucky's Mom

I would Highly encourage you to read all Henna threads here on LHCF....

That is really important to your henna journey....

tmrskltn

I also use amla oil in my henna, it really helps it not to be so drying, i also got good color w this method too, and just wanted to add i don't know the porosity of your hair but make sure u are using something to keep it balanced other wise ur hair will stop absorbing anything. It took me a while to figure out what the culprit was, im not saying henna is'nt good, but just make sure ur doing acv rinses or porosity control. This is my experience ...just wanted to chime in :look:. Hope this helps, and good luck.

Pandora1975

I also use amla oil in my henna, it really helps it not to be so drying, i also got good color w this method too, and just wanted to add i don't know the porosity of your hair but make sure u are using something to keep it balanced other wise ur hair will stop absorbing anything. It took me a while to figure out what the culprit was, im not saying henna is'nt good, but just make sure ur doing acv rinses or porosity control. This is my experience ...just wanted to chime in :look:. Hope this helps, and good luck.

I use acv rinses. Should I do this before or after the henna?

tmrskltn

I think u would want to do it after the henna, and rinse out conds, but before the DC, then rinse with cool water. But I'm really just gettin the hang of things so maybe someone else can chime in too, there are some very informed ladies on here, again good luck :)

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I always make my Henna Mixture the consistency of Stirred Yogurt. And I always Rinse it Out with V05 Moisture Milks Conditioner.

I've never, ever had a Problem with excess dryness.:yep:

ladylibra

The first time I used henna, it took me FOREVER to rinse out.

This recent go-round, I got a tip to rinse in the tub first and then rinse in the shower. It took 15 minutes. Super easy! :grin:

Pandora1975

I think u would want to do it after the henna, and rinse out conds, but before the DC, then rinse with cool water. But I'm really just gettin the hang of things so maybe someone else can chime in too, there are some very informed ladies on here, again good luck :)

That is precisely what I decided to try. So far, so good. My scalp itches a little- but it always does when its wet (I'm dc'ing).

I think I freaked out prematurely. While this is hands down the messiest thing I've ever done to my hair, its not that hard. I used a bottle and a half of Vo5 getting it all out, but I'm left with hair that feels so much healthier. Of course it was a little dry immediately after rinsing it out (yes, I can tell when wet) but before I dc'd, I slathered on a bunch of the Vo5 lightly detangled, and left it while I attended to the rest of me. That made it tolerable. I'll be back after I'm all dry and I can see results.

taz007

The first time I used henna, it took me FOREVER to rinse out.

This recent go-round, I got a tip to rinse in the tub first and then rinse in the shower. It took 15 minutes. Super easy! :grin:

Oh? How do you rinse in the tub? Do you dunk your head in the water?

Thanks in advance!

Pandora1975

I have one of those adjustable shower heads. I put it on "fire hose strength" and went at it. BTW, if you do this, remove anything you don't want henna splashed on! :ohwell:

Pandora1975

Just an update. There would be pics, but my twists aren't completely dry. I just wanted to say thank you to the ladies that helped me, and CurlyNikki's tutorials.:bighug:

:yay: HENNA AND CASTOR OIL FIXED MY HAIR!!!!. Its so soft and smooth- and I air dried! That never happens. I twisted 2 strand twists into bantu knots and it worked! I could never get that one right either. For the henna I followed Nikki's mix with the honey and green tea. I got some color- which is fine. I don't look clownish, so its good.

One thing- ladies trying out henna- wear gloves to rinse if the palms of your hands are light and/or you have white nails. :bah: I look like I have been self-tanning, and I think we all know that didn't happen. I have to go paint my orange nails red now. Tootles