Box Braids Coming Out:(

Miss Lara

I'm reposting this because I'm not sure what thread it should be in...
I had box braids installed by a girl at my local hair shop a little over a week ago. This style is new to me as I usually let it grow but just whacked it all off a few months ago. My natural hair is about 3 inches long.
I am absolutely clueless as to why they are coming out already. I have been wrapping them perfectly at night and keeping them moisturized.(I don't think too much though, I am using a little pomade on the scalp and then spraying braid sheen)
I was hoping they would be in for at least a month but they are already pulling loose at the edges of the triangle part of each braid and also 3 inches down the braid my natural hair is coming out.
Does anyone have any advice as to why this is happening?
A few ideas I have were that I got them too long.
-I had her use the full length of hair without trimming it. Maybe my hair was too short and the synthetic too heavy?
-My hair is loose curls. I'm mixed...so it's not the tight kinky curls that are ideal for keeping in heavy braids?
-I pull them up in a bun on top of my head, maybe this is too much stress for them?
I just don't know and it's embarrassing for me, my family is pretty much all white except me so I didn't grow up knowing anything about my hair or braiding styles at all. I am just trying to figure this all out now so any help or advice that anyone has for me would be so appreciated. Thank you, Blessings.

Last edited:

Evolving78

the right method might not have been used for your texture. Unless you can braid yourself, you need to go back to the braid shop and let them know what's going on. You have enough hair, it's just the texture. They still may slip out. You would need smaller braids too. Medium or large thick braids won't hold up either.
Why don't you take them out and just rock your hair? I bet it's really pretty! You could probably do a lot of cute different things with your hair.

Miss Lara

Thank you for your sound advice. I did make an appointment to go in and have the lady work on it. I asked her to redo the perimeter where there is some slippage and some natural hair exposed. The crown area is pretty much good I think because my hair is much coarser up there with tighter curls. That should buy me another 9 days of wearing it up in a bun.
You are right, this is not the style for me. It was so beautiful with a black and great ombré and I got so many compliments, just wanted to try it out. Wish I could post a picture. Thanks again!