Small (natural) album update-BOX BRAIDS

kristina

Hi ladies,
After my shingling disaster and my use of the blowdryer (violating my no heat challenge commitment), I decided that I needed a low manupulation style. I put in box braids last week and thought I'd update my album with the results. I was inspired by den1's album but I was at first nervous that the style would not look professional for work. I got over that and decided to make them super small like my individuals with extensions. It took a long time to do the braids but I think I prefer them to tiny twists because my hair doesn't tangle as much. But the good news is I really like them. Even though I do miss the glamour (instant long hair gratification) and durability of my fake extension hair, natural box braids are great because, they don't require a lot of manipulation to do, it's easier to condition the hair, and there isn't as much hair loss during the take down (or so I speculate). So I think box braids are going to be my new hair style staple.
I currently rinse almost daily and conditioner wash 2x a week with DDTA. I'm using a afro detangler (bought from the braid lady) as my lubricant and I gel the ends sometimes for ORS lock and twist gel for definition. Sometimes I wear the braids down but for work I style my hair in low buns and updos. Anyways, I really like the style, it's nice having low maintenance hair. Hopefully, I'll keep them in for 3-4 weeks at a time. I'm going to rebraid the frizzy braids as necessary. For the next 6 months, I plan on wearing box braids on and off for 2 weeks. After that, I'm going to do a length check.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
u look great with box braids! this is a great style for low manipulation! i wish i could have thought of that style before i wacked all my hair off, but i am happy with my short cut!

happy hair growing!!! :antlers:

ETA: i just realized this is my 9,000th post!!! :weird:

Last edited:

Shatani

i love them!!! they look really good and i can already think of some really cute professional styles :D

Diane71

I agree, you look very pretty in all of your hairstyles.

hopeful

Kristina,
Your box braids are really pretty. I wear box braids a lot too and I was not surprised at all when you wrote in your album that it took about 9 hours. My hair is only about 4 inches and I do bigger braids and it takes me at least 3 hours. But when you do it yourself you are in control and can make them the exact size you want, you can take a break when you feel like it and you can do them in the comfort of your own home. I hope they last as long as you want. If you stick with this for a protective style I bet you'll get a lot of growth. Enjoy and good luck.