Braiding wet hair

soslychic

I know many of you do braidouts, but I'm concerned about braiding my hair in it's weakest state, wet. How do you prevent your hair from snapping and breaking? Do you braid it wet, damp, almost dry?

Isis

I'm on the bun challenge but I'm experimenting with the braidouts. I've found success doing it after my hair has completely airdried. It still works because of the moisture locked in the hair and it's swingy and seems to have a looser wave, therefore showing more length.

cardinalfire

Braiding it wet seems to give the bounciest texture to my hair. But it probably is best not to do it every day. You would think that it would be protective, but I have more damage when I did braid-outs every other day than when I did roller-sets and flatironed my hair twice a week.

debyjay

I love the way the twist-outs look but it's way too much breaking and snapping going on. I wish I could find a way to cut down on breakage period my hair is super weak when wet. I could never condition wash everyday like you guys.

soslychic

Yea I have a ton of different styles to wear when I daily condition wash until....UNTIL.....I get 1 1/2 months past relaxer. Then nothing looks right and the only way to tame that growth EVERYDAY would be daily twistouts/braidouts.
Well, looks like I'll either have to start getting relaxers every 2 months like I've planned or start washing my hair every 3 days until of everyday and rollerset or flatiron. Less moisture for my hair

lunalight7

I just started doing braidouts. I dampen my ends w/ distilled water, seal w. a little oil, and braid away. I was thinking of trying it on dry hair but I need to dampen it to get out the waves from the previous braidout!

AnjelLuvs

I thought I was the only one that felt that way. I am usually doing the bun thing now for that reason.

inthepink

I only do my braidouts on damp hair. I used to try with wet hair but I lost too much hair and it was too hard to manipulate my hair that wet.

KinksnCurlz

Try to do it with slightly damn hair. I find that when I braid my hair at night (I spray a little water in it), and take it out in the morning, the waves are gorgeous. Unfortunately, i don't leave it like that because I am currently doing my own little bun challenge.

L.Mo.

I did my first wet-hair braid-out last night and thought the same thing. I definitely heard snapping! I think I'm going to redo it tonight on mainly dry hair.... then mist the braids afterwards and apply oil to the ends and tops of the braids...

Ayeshia

i braid mines damp or dry...when its dry, i braid and spray my braids with infusium 23, it makes my hair hold for about two days

BronzeBrown

It's surprising to hear that so many people have experienced breakage while wet braiding. Are you guys all relaxed? I find I get the extreme snapping if I try to work with my dry hair. That's a definitely no-no. I think wet braiding is ideal for me because my hair is most pliable while saturated with water. Ah well, I suppose whatever method works best for you is what you should follow.

Nonie

I do braid-outs on my micros and for those I braid my hair when it's wet. However, I don't know why but I'm averse to putting in extensions while my hair is wet. I have a serious HIH (hand in hair) condition; always redoing a braid or two. But the one time I will not retouch my braids is while they are damp or wet. I seem to have this phobia that my hair is too weak to be manipulated when wet. Funny how that thought never crosses my mind when I'm doing a micro braid-out. Maybe I think of micros as thick strong hair "strands", able to stand up to what the real hair strands can't.

Miosy

I do my braid out wet or damp. I don't get breakage with either one. After I wash and detangle, I already have my hair in two halves. All I do is part each half into two w/ my fingers, add my leave in and oils, then I braid. I guess you have to be really gently.