Braids or Relaxer????

J

JenniferMD

I'm on my 15th week since a relaxer, it's definitely time to do something with the new growth. I would like to get braids to go a little longer without a relaxer and ahieve more growth. However, a part of me wants to get a relaxer because I don't want to have braids during the holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas). If I were to get braids I'd get the two strand twist, which is really cute and it'd cost me $300.00. What do you think I should do? Will it harm my hair to not have a relaxer for another 15weeks making a total of about 8 1/2 months since my last relaxer?

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Well I see nothing wrong with what you are doing just as long as you keep you hair really moist. It does however seem like a long time to keep braids in. My max for keeping my braids is eight weeks. Is 15 weeks yor norm?

J

JenniferMD

well, i've never had braids before and the place where I'm going uses silk fibers instead of natural or synthetic hair extensions and every 3 weeks they're going to replace braids. They say these braids can last up to 4 1/2 months. They were featured in a hair magazine, with all this information provided.

CORBINS

When I used to braid my hair back to back, I just made sure that I let it rest for a week and did a good deep conditioning. Just make sure you moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! If I were you I would braid again because it's the winter and braids would be a good protective style. By the end of winter you'll have a lot more length.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]
JenniferMD said:
well, i've never had braids before and the place where I'm going uses silk fibers instead of natural or synthetic hair extensions and every 3 weeks they're going to replace braids. They say these braids can last up to 4 1/2 months. They were featured in a hair magazine, with all this information provided.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got cha!

J

JenniferMD

[ QUOTE ]
CORBINS said:
When I used to braid my hair back to back, I just made sure that I let it rest for a week and did a good deep conditioning. Just make sure you moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! If I were you I would braid again because it's the winter and braids would be a good protective style. By the end of winter you'll have a lot more length.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not getting braids back-to-back. I've been wearing my hair out for 15 weeks since my last relaxer. I do agree that I will have a lot more length but will it be safe for my hair to go this long without a relaxer. If I get the braids, when it's time for me to take out the braids I will have about 8 months of new growth and will still have to wait a month before I put a relaxer in. I do have to wait a month after my braids have been out to get a relaxer right?
Relaxer or Braids?

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Hey Jennifer. I recently took out my braids and did my relaxer about 3 days later. I got a protein and deep conditioner in before I di the relaxer. My hair is doing great! And just as long as your hair is not breaking you can go as long as you like without relaxing!

Brownie

I have read some posts around here where ladies have gone 8+ months without touching up. There are also some transitioning folks who are doing just fine---hairlove. Just manipulate your hair as little as possible, (some ladies around here wear buns for a week at a time). Doing braid outs might help you avoid using heat. Remember to keep your hair moisturized.

If you want to, you can extend your touch ups for a long time (without braids), but if you want your hair looking a certain way for the holidays, don't hesitate to get a touch up.

J

JenniferMD

Thanks Brownie, all I have to do now is save up some money ($300) to get the braids (on a college budget that should take a month
). I think I'm going to tough it out through the holidays. I like the idea of having my hair protected through the winter.

asummertyme

whoa thats xpensive for the 2 starnd twist, out here in newyrok it cost anywhere from 80 dollars and up but not much more....but if you d get the braids i dont think u have to wait that long for a relaxer, its up to you and how sesitive your scalp is....i would usually wait about a week...

J

JenniferMD

[ QUOTE ]
asummertyme said:
whoa thats xpensive for the 2 starnd twist, out here in newyrok it cost anywhere from 80 dollars and up but not much more....but if you d get the braids i dont think u have to wait that long for a relaxer, its up to you and how sesitive your scalp is....i would usually wait about a week...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Asummertyme, the braids cost that much because they use silk fibers as the hair, it looks VERY natural. So, thats why it cost so much and the salon where I'm going is the only place that uses these silk fibers. Once I get them, I'll be sure to post a picture. I'm glad I won't have to wait a month before a relaxer after the braids though, I was getting scared

debyjay

I added 5 inches to my hair this year when I wore braids from January to June. I want to do it again but I promised my stylist to never again show up with 6 months worth of 4b new growth. How does this sound to those in the know? Braids in Jan and Feb, relax in March. Braids in April and May, relax in June. Braids in July and Aug and so on till the end of the year. Did that make sense? Do you guys think I'll be able to add another 5 inches using this method?

J

JenniferMD

[ QUOTE ]
debyjay said:
I added 5 inches to my hair this year when I wore braids from January to June. I want to do it again but I promised my stylist to never again show up with 6 months worth of 4b new growth. How does this sound to those in the know? Braids in Jan and Feb, relax in March. Braids in April and May, relax in June. Braids in July and Aug and so on till the end of the year. Did that make sense? Do you guys think I'll be able to add another 5 inches using this method?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow Debyjay, that's a lot of growth with your braids. You're getting me excited, I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get the braids. I also came up with the $300 so I'll be checking out the salon on Saturday to make an appointment. I'm expecting to keep them in for four months, so hopefully I'll acheive at least 4 inches in this time. That should put me very close to my goal of bra-strap length hair.

debyjay

Oh JenniferMD I just looked at your pics, you have long hair already without the braids, so I can only imagine that you will have longer hair when you take your braids out. Now I read somewhere that after two months hair starts to lock so I don't know if you want to keep them in for that long. Check out www.growafrohairlong.com for tips on growing hair with braids.

cutebajangirl

Hey Jennifer,
I think the place you talked about soudns really good, if they will redo braids every 3 weeks withuot charging more that is great and worth the price. I too pay a lot more than average for my braids but I am paying for the care of my hair and to keep my hairline
Debjay- I would do it in 3 month intervals not 2 months, like Jan-Feb-March and relax in April.