Braids question(Everyone please view)

Nsslovely

I'm currently 9 wks post relaxer and experiencing shedding, I'd like to get braids soon question is do I relax and wait a few weeks before getting the braids or do I use Aphogee, 5 in 1,or Emergencee and then get the braids, I'm just afraid of more hair loss with braids and no relaxer I'm not sure how long I can stretch, tips please

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Either option would be fine but when's the last time you had a protein treatment? Also, if you decide to relax, wait at least 4 weeks before getting braids.

Here's a helpful site to check out as well: http://www.growafrohairlong.com

Hope that helps!!! ;)

Miz_Complexity

That is a great suggestion Poohbear. I think t hat you should deep condition each week until you decide to put your braids in. This will help keep the hair strong. Remember to keep your ends moisturized. Watch out for demarcation lines in you hair you don’t want to neglect both of your textures. Don't comb your hair that much while it is is the breakage state, just try to finger comb your hair until you make your decision. If I were you I would get the braids just so you don't have to mess with your hair.

Ashee

NANA said:
I'm currently 9 wks post relaxer and experiencing shedding, I'd like to get braids soon question is do I relax and wait a few weeks before getting the braids or do I use Aphogee, 5 in 1,or Emergencee and then get the braids, I'm just afraid of more hair loss with braids and no relaxer I'm not sure how long I can stretch, tips please
I say do a Protein Treatment & a Deep Con, wait three days & then braid up!
That's what I'm doing this week, I'm braiding up on Saturday morning!! Also do a strand test to see how strong your hair is. Slightly tug on the "weak" sections of the hair & see if they spring back. You just want to make sure that your hair doesn't snap.
:)
-HTH

Bmm

NANA said:

If you want to stretch some more you can do a protien treatment, then follow up with a great condtioner to restore moisture. Then get it braided. ( I just did this. I am only 4.5 weeks post though)

If you want to perm it now perm it, then follow up with great condtioner of your choice. Then wait about 4 weeks then do protien treatment before braiding...you dont have to wait 4 weeks to do protien treatment but I would do it again before getting my hair braided.

Nsslovely

Thanks guys, I've been doing either 5 n 1 or EQP breakage control every other week, w/ light shampooing(dilute w/ large cup of water) and it help for a short time and the shedding and breakage continue. I want to get the braids to limit contact w/ hopes that it'll grow w/o damage, so if anyone has anymore suggestions It'll be helpful
Thanks again ladies

carletta

NANA said:

I was in the same boat too sweetie ! To stop my breakage I used aphogee, then done a deep moisture conditioner. Then I repeated the same process again the day before I got my braids MAKING SURE I LEFT THE DEEP MOISTURE CONDITIONER on for about 4-5 hours. it worked for me :grin: I hope yours go well ! let us know how it works out! If you HAVE to do any combing of your hair I suggest that you use a large wide tooth shampoo comb..."LESS BREAKAGE" & braid spray :yep:

Last edited:

Ashee

Since my hair is shoulder length, I've noticed that when my hair is up, it helps limit the breakage.
I am a bit bored with the pony & buns, but I hate breakage even more. I hope you can slow down & stop the breakage. The braids should help, but remeber to keep them moisturized. You have to keep the braids double moisturized because the hair sucks the moisture out of your real hair!:yep:
P.S.
When taking out the braids use some conditioner spritz to help ease them out! Keep them in for about 2.5 months to limit the possibility of your real hair locking with the syntetic or curly human hair, causing breakage & thinning... & if your hair isn't strong enough stay away from the micro braids or any style that will add stress to your hair... :look:

Last edited:

leontyneb

You should do the Aphogee treatment wait at least a week and then put your braids in. That is what I did and I had my braids in for almost 4 weeks this Saturday. I am going to take my braids down this Saturday, deep condition and wait the following week to do another Aphogee treatment and put my relaxer in on the 20th of May. Doing the Aphogee treatment first has really helped my hair and my beautician was totally surprised how well I kept my hair up. She didn't even have to cut my hair. She told me that my hair had gotten thicker and I already have very thick hair. Thanks to the forum.

baglady215

Ashee said:
I say do a Protein Treatment & a Deep Con, wait three days & then braid up!

That's just what I did to cure my breakage woes. I had my kinky twists in for 3 months. Just be sure to keep them moisturized. Your new growth will be fine.

Ashee

I just realized that I haven't had braids in for about 3 yrs now.... :eek:
I will pour on the moisture when I do it now.... :look: