Braids & Thinning Edges

divinefavor

Good Morning Everyone!!!

For years I had worn braids and never had a problem with hair thinning around the edges until 4 years ago when I let Africans put them in for the first time. I only had them in for a couple of months, but experienced thinning and balding around the edges and hair breakage. They were microbraids.

I would like to get braids again at some point but am so afraid of getting the same results. I won't go back to an African hairbraider. My little cousin (17 years old) is the bomb at braiding hair so I'm going to let her put them in for me. However, before I do that I wanted to get some advice from those who have braids what helped you with retaining your growth and length?

Thanks in advance for your help!

hopeful

Hi Divine,
From what I've read microbraids can cause hair breakage. A lot of ladies recommend getting larger braids like the size of a pencil instead and to make sure the braids are not too tight around your edges. hth
btw good luck with your cousin doing your braids!:)

carmend

Yes... I agree. In general the larger the braids the better. I used to wear braids almost year around and I had problems w/my edges b/c of it until I started going to someone who I was able to tell (and she listened) to NOT do my braids too tight or too small. I also use the ORS Fertilizing Temple Balm on my edges while I have braids to help prevent them from thinning out and to help them grow back from the past issues...

Dubois007

To add to what Hopeful just said, I would tell you that to make sure that the braids are not put to tight. I also braid my hair to help me strech my relaxer. I also find that using surge to my edge helps me prevent thinning. It's also important to take a break from braids from time to time.

Hope that helps

LABETT

I never get micro braids they break my hair off I get cornrow braided style with a updo and pincurl.
I use Surge,Profectiv anti thinning creme,Castor oil to get my hairline from thinning when wearing braids.