Braids v. Weaves: How come?

Why are weaves so damaging? Why are braids less damaging? It seems like the same thing to me and correct me if I'm wrong- braids- your hair is braided into the hair and it is protected for a few weeks. Weaves- your own hair is braided and then a weave is attached onto your hair. Doesn't it involve the same amount of pulling and damage on your hair? How come weaves leave your ends looking like "someone chewed it up"- as many women here call it.
Please help me clarify this.

glamazon386

Actually for me it was the opposite. I got more damage from braids. I've never had damage from weaves. It really just depends on your hair. What condition it was in before having the braids or weave applied, the stylists method (some people braid too tight, etc), and how well you took care of your hair while in the braids or weave.

Radianthealth

I think braids are more damaging than weaves. Braids damaged my hairline, I thought it would never grow back. The only side effect from weaves was thinner hair, but I got thinner hair while wearing braids also.:perplexed

HoneyDew

I prefer braids because I can moisturize my scalp and hair better. Also, I did not have to deal with trying to manipulate sections of my hair for blending like I did when I tried getting weaves. Braids were just more natural looking and easier to care for and style. It was less work on a daily basis, although the time it takes to get them is not fun.

I think weaves can be good, though. They just never seem to be a good fit for me.

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
bmoreflyygirl said:
It really just depends on your hair.

I agree. No matter how much I moisturized my hair under weaves, I suffered breakage. My hair can't take the stress I guess. I wore braids for three weeks one summer and the same thing happened.

I'm a little jealous of those who can wear braids or weave as a protective style . A few weeks ago I saw a woman on the street wearing the cutest cornrowed updo. It wasn't super tight and pulling at the hairline either. I still want that style. :(

shawniegee

New Cut for '09
I think it depends on the person. My hair loooovvess individual braids. I retain length in places I never would with conrows or any kind of weave. Why I don't know.

Shea

I have a testimony! I wore braids for a whole year straight and I went from neck length to APL and I was APL after a 1" trim/cut. I wore weave my whole time in college 4 years and my hair was never grew because my ends looked chewed up:mad:. IMO weaves did not help me to grow hair micros are an exception bc they pull my hair out too! But corn rows and box braids are hair savers:)

isioma85

Braids are a no-no for me for hair growing. :nono: Everytime I get them, they fall out in the temples and the back, taking my hair with them. When I take them down, just with finger combing I get a fistful of breakage.

With weaves my hair grows with very little damage, as long as I wash and moisturize underneath. And the weave doesn't fall off my head with my newgrowth, the new growth just makes the cornrow a little looser, so it's easier to know how much the hair's grown.

Amour

I retain more length with weaves, im actually scared to braid up again, especially for a substantial time length. The trauma of my last braid experience still haunts me today :( .

Maybe i should try the C & G method. Cornrows and weaves = :up: for me!

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I actually get more retention of growth with weaves. Maybe because all the weave actually stays on my head the entire time, whereas braids sometimes come out and thin my hair at the root. I also never noticed any chewed up ends with weaves. Like the other's said, it depends on the persons hair.

plove

It's the worst kind of braids for me micro braids.
My hair loves micro braids and i don't know why.
I like cornrows but they don't last long.
Micro braids and my hair are best friends.
I'm in my 6 month of wearing micro braids and guess what?
I still have a head full of hair.

However I don't recommend getting them to anyone because if they are not put in right you will lose your hairline.

brownqt31

I am the opposite as well. Braids do little for me in terms of growth and my ends are usually horrible afterwards. My hair does well with a weave, as long as I don't keep it in too long. I usually have it in for 6 weeks max.

Lusa

My hair loves braids. The is no manipulation during the time that they are in, and I am able to moisturise it appropriately.

Weaves on the other hand do very little, and I attribute that to the fact that there's hair left in the front for daily styling. The rest that is cornrowed is generally left alone but the front is styled, fried and generally thinned out.

And that is why I prefer my braids, all my hair is under wraps saved my combing, touching, pulling, etc.

Max2004

I think braids are damaging period. I have never had a weave before,so i can only speak for braids. Braids damaged my entire head. I had braids and some braids fell out leaving bald spots, some of the shedded hair matted with the NG. It was horrible. However, my bald spots have hair now. Luckily, my husband has a barber and cosmotolegy license. He helped detangle my hair. I still fill like it will never be the same. My hair is extremely thin compared to what it used to be. Sometimes, I feel it will never be the same.:ohwell:

bluediamond0829

braids back in high school i kept them in for a year switching them out and putting back in...and my hair grew...but that was before LHCF...i do get alot of growth i believe with both...but it also depends on how the person does my weave or braids....the last time i did get a weave i had alot of damage..most of it was my fault because i really shldve let someone else take it out...and i ended up cutting parts of my own hair...and i had the learn the hard way that it is damaging to get a weave and braids right after a relaxer..even though i never had problems with getting braids and putting a relaxer in...but in terms of keeping the hair that i do have and worked so hard to get healthy i rather wait....its not worth it..and i really cant speak on weaves because i havent been the type to consistently get weaves enough to notice any damage or rather i recd growth from wearing one....

Ariana4000

I can't wear weaves and I only wear big french braids. The last time I had weave my scalp itched like crazy and got irritated. One spot on the side of my hair line in the back went bald. My sewn-in was not tight, but I think I got some type of dermatitis due to the fake hair rubbing my skin or something. I will never get another weave again. I have no problem when the braids are not done too tight and my hair stays healthy.

carmella25

I think that it depends on the size of the braids or weaves and also the way that you take care of it while its in. When my hair is braided in small braids or interlocks my hair tends to get more breakage. But when I do it bigger I have none. And I also think that moisture is the key as well. HTH

asummertyme

I get growth from both, i take great care of my hair while in braids and in weaves so i dont have that problem..i just texlaxed my hair after weaving and braiding my hair a little over 1 year, and the stylist cut off about a 1 inch more or less of damaged ends...my hair is soo healthy ..

remnant

asummertyme said:
I get growth from both, i take great care of my hair while in braids and in weaves so i dont have that problem..i just texlaxed my hair after weaving and braiding my hair a little over 1 year, and the stylist cut off about a 1 inch more or less of damaged ends...my hair is soo healthy ..

Same here no problem....... they are my best protective styles for growing hair :p !

OT: ;) Asummertyme any pics of your new hair?