Brazilian Keratin Treatment questions! (Inquiring minds want to know)

Dove56

I am very interested in trying the BKT. Actually, I wanted to do this a couple of years ago when I was completely natural but I chickened out because it was so new. :rolleyes:

My hair is 3b/c ish (6a in the crown...lol). I am currently texlaxed/texturized if you will. My curls are now 2B/3A ish. I wore my hair naturally curly for 9 years before tex-relaxing because I just got sick of wearing buns everyday to avoid combing my hair. I am thinking of transitioning (again) and the BKT seems like it will make the process easier, PLUS allow me to wear my hair naturally curly again without being afraid of humidity above 35%!

I will more than likely let a professional apply the initial treatment and then perform the subsequent treatments myself. My questions are as follows:

1. Do you really HAVE to use 450 degree heat? My Chi is 410 degrees, will 40 degrees really make that much difference? I don't want to burn or singe my hair.

2. Can you really do this treatment a few time a year without breakage? I might peform this treatment on fine-haired family members every 8-10 weeks so I want to make sure they don't incur any damage?

3. For those of you will curly hair (natural or mostly natural) does your hair really *return* to it's naturally curly state without being very damagaged?

4. What type of flat iron should I use?

5. Should I be worried about the formeldahyde (sp) even if it is negligible?

6. Should I try the Petter Coppola system or the Global Keratin formeldahyde free?

7. Has anyone experienced any breakage or adverse reactions or effects of the BKT?

Thanks to anyone that answers any and/or all questions. I really appreciate it!!!!! :yep:

luckiestdestiny

Probably few answers because most of the questions, they've been answered in other threads. Like for instance the heat: the keratin is a heat protector and so the hair is protected. And like the whole can you keep using it thing, if you look at the other threads you'll see people who used it from one year to several and their hair health has only increased and their hair has gotten longer. You'll have to go in their fokti's and pm them to get the info. Just put BKT in the search area.

sheba1

Hey there, Veejee! I hope you find the answers to your questions. I'm really excited about BKT, also and I have decided I'm going to do it. I looked at countless youtube vids, fotkis and looked all over the internet because I wanted to see others results before I took the plunge. Really, I found the most info right here on lhcf from different threads over the last few years. It seems that while many are out there taking the plunge, their aren't as many doing so that are as "in to" hair as we are on this board.

So good luck to you. I decided that I'm going to do it for my natural tresses and I will document my process in detail, since so few others have. One thing I've seen consistently is that BKT improves hair strengths, the curls do gradually return, not everyone uses the full 450 degrees and some don't even blow dry the hair, first, before putting the BKT in. These folks clarify, towel dry (pretty well) then BKT, blow dry and flat iron. I was happy with that tidbit because I don't really wish to dry my hair without protection after multiple clarify washes.

One thing you'll want to note is that the BKT will make your hair generally straight and you'll have to add back the curl. But I read you were interested in frizz free curls, even in the face of evil humidity :grin:. So you may want to go with Global's "keep the curl" formula. Also, Yodie shared with me a tidbit that Global has a 16.9 ounce bottle, that's $150. That's enough for 4 to 5 treatments for most people if you want to try it before making the $250 investment that would have to be made for the larger size.

Definitely do as LuckiestD suggests and read every thread you can find all the way through that mentions either BKT or Brazilian Keratin. It's worth the read and you'll learn all kinds of tidbits. Texturized results tend to come out uber straight, too, with lots of swang. And there are pics in a lot of threads.

Good luck and take pics! :)

Dove56

:evilbanana:
Hey there, Veejee! I hope you find the answers to your questions. I'm really excited about BKT, also and I have decided I'm going to do it. I looked at countless youtube vids, fotkis and looked all over the internet because I wanted to see others results before I took the plunge. Really, I found the most info right here on lhcf from different threads over the last few years. It seems that while many are out there taking the plunge, their aren't as many doing so that are as "in to" hair as we are on this board.

So good luck to you. I decided that I'm going to do it for my natural tresses and I will document my process in detail, since so few others have. One thing I've seen consistently is that BKT improves hair strengths, the curls do gradually return, not everyone uses the full 450 degrees and some don't even blow dry the hair, first, before putting the BKT in. These folks clarify, towel dry (pretty well) then BKT, blow dry and flat iron. I was happy with that tidbit because I don't really wish to dry my hair without protection after multiple clarify washes.

One thing you'll want to note is that the BKT will make your hair generally straight and you'll have to add back the curl. But I read you were interested in frizz free curls, even in the face of evil humidity :grin:. So you may want to go with Global's "keep the curl" formula. Also, Yodie shared with me a tidbit that Global has a 16.9 ounce bottle, that's $150. That's enough for 4 to 5 treatments for most people if you want to try it before making the $250 investment that would have to be made for the larger size.

Definitely do as LuckiestD suggests and read every thread you can find all the way through that mentions either BKT or Brazilian Keratin. It's worth the read and you'll learn all kinds of tidbits. Texturized results tend to come out uber straight, too, with lots of swang. And there are pics in a lot of threads.

Good luck and take pics! :)

Sheba,

Thanks for responding!! I didn't know Global sold a 16.9 ounce bottle :evilbanana: That's awesome! I definetly want something that will allow me to transition without all the drama. BKT sounds like a dream come true. I will order this and post pics!

luckiestdestiny

So what did you think of it veejee?
Do a search and put her name in as the user in the advanced search and look for any threads started by her. She actually posted a whole thread with pics and everything, and loves the bkt. I believe she's on her second BKT now.