Breakage Breakage Breakage -- My poor edges - $20 rollersets

leona2025

Well ladies I'm having a bit of a set back. I wear a lot of ponytails and buns. My hair is ususally pulled up some kind of way. I must have been doing them to tight. I know the ponytail I did this morning is a little tight, but it doesn't feel like my edges are pulling.

The problem is that my edges have broken all the way around from ear to ear. You can't notice it unless you get close. They are 2 inches to a inch long. :sad: I love ponytails and I can't see giving them up. They are a staple. I need some advice on how to make a more edge friendly ponytail or other protective styles besides buns.

Also, ya'll I found a lady in my area that does $20 rollersets, $25 wash and style, and $50 lacefronts. I seen the lace fronts they are really nice. I'm going this week to get the rollerset and see if I like her work.

LushLox

I'm probably going to sound like a broken record but this is why I had to cut out pony tails completely. I'm not sure everyone can cope with wearing buns and pony tails every day - you really have to switch it up a bit otherwise your hair may suffer; like most things, "everything in moderation."

Admittedly my hair line suffered because I consistently pulled the hair too tight - hell it was a cute way to get a cheap facelift back then...

Roller setting has really saved my hair. I no longer have to put any pressure on any part of my hair, thus my hair is free to breathe.

I will say though, if you are going to wear pony tails, it really shouldn't be tight at all - if you're feeling any discomfort through it - it's much too tight.

Be careful of the lacefronts too as they are known to cause problems also. If your hairline has already suffered then a lacefront may just exacerbate the situation.

Makenzie

I didn't realize till a couple months it was my ponytails thinning my edges. I'd tie my hair down at night so I could get the edges straight, but after awhile I noticed the front/sides of my hair is considerably thinner than the middle and back.

Learn how to do cute updo's that are not as tight. I do a lot of roller/rod sets. If I want my hair straight I'll flat iron it and roll it the rest of the week. I don't even like wrapping my hair anymore.

mscocoface

That is what is so sneaky about edges. What may seem loose to you may not feel loose to your edges and you won't know until you check your hairline that it is too much.

Even the motion of moving your hands over and over on your edges when you are smoothing out the pony tail or putting it up. That repetition could be just enough to stress your edges.

I have to be careful with this when I down anything manipulating my edges, even putting product on my edges I have to be careful because I know I am naturally heavy handed and my edges don't like it.

I owuld suggest another style for a while and just babying the hairline for a little while.