Newly Relaxed With Breakage

_nellypoo

I got my first relaxer EVER about 3 weeks ago. And I am already starting to see some breakage around my edges.

I have been washing and deep conditioning about every 3-4 days, but I have been wearing a lot of ponytails. I also wear headbands at work.

What is going to be the safest way to wear ponytails? (Required for work)

Any tips to help ease the pressure on my edges?

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Can you braid the front and wear a ponytail

Here are some examples

Or you can make them smaller like this

Leeda.the.Paladin

I haven’t had relaxed hair in a long time but do you think you might be washing it too often? How are you drying it every time you wash it?

SpiceUpMyHair

Grace Eleyae creator of SLAPS sells satin lined headbands that I use.

Also try changing your part each time you place your hair in a bun.

And make sure your ponytail isn’t too tight

MzSwift

I love the braid and the satin lined headband ideas!

Maybe you can apply extra oil along the hairline where the headband will come into contact with your hair. A heavy oil like EVOO or Castor oil.

Also, check your products to be sure this is not a case of too much or too little protein.

For a serious PS, I would just rock a wig that I can ponytail for work and then rock my own hair on my time off. The wig would kind of be like a work hat. Lol. But it would be an easy way to protect your hair.

Can you also wear buns or are you stuck with ponytails only? If you can bun, a quick and easy loose bun I like to wear is the Southern Tease bun. It doesn’t stress the hairline at all. Let me see if I can find a video of it.

Variation for longer hair