Breakage, please help!!

tanyaj

Hi Ladies, I need some serious, serious help! It's been a few weeks since I've been on and I really thought that I could solve this problem myself, but I can't.

My hair is breaking so, so bad!! I don't use the flat iron. And if I do, I only do my roots!! After that, I use my hot rollers. I co-wash once a week and deep condition once a week. I use Neutrogena Triple Moisture as a moisturizer, I seal with either castor oil or Moroccan oil. That's all I do for the most part, yet I have a massive amount of breakage.

Please tell me what I can do.

Tanya

bride91501

Sounds like you should up your protein. Maybe try an aphogee 2 step treatment, and assess from there.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
It looks like you have color in your hair. Double processed hair needs a bit of protein for structure.

Consider getting the Aphogee 2MIN reconstructor and giving that a go every week till the breakage stops and then as you see fit once your breakage is under control

Also you might want to change your moisturizer during the week. The Neutrogena product is silicone heavy, and blocks out moisture if used too often. The moroccan oil is silicone heavy as well.

Before doing anything you will need to clarify your hair. Sallys has a really good clarifying shampoo by Quantum.

tanyaj

Thank you both! @Myjourney, the color that is in my hair is from highlights that are over a year old. thank you for the tips.

tanyaj

@amwcah It's not dry and brittle for the most part. However, I have a thyroid condition that causes dry and brittle hair, but I think I take care of that quite well. My ends are damaged though.

amwcah

@amwcah It's not dry and brittle for the most part. However, I have a thyroid condition that causes dry and brittle hair, but I think I take care of that quite well. My ends are damaged though.

I would start from scratch. I would clarify first to remove all product from the hair. Then I would do a protein treatment followed by a good moisturizing treatment.

Assess your hair after this. Listen to your hair and decide if it needs more moisture or protein from their if you are still getting breakage.

MissNina

Libra Girl
Hi,

I have color in my hair too and what I've noticed is my hair needs more moisture now than it did before.

I'd definitely clarify and do the Aphogee 2 min as suggested, but follow up with a bit of moisture as well. . .like maybe Nexxus Humectress DC for about 20 minutes under the dryer. I also use HE LTR (which is more protein) as a moisturizer every other day. It helps me balance things out. HTH!!! :)

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Thank you both! @Myjourney, the color that is in my hair is from highlights that are over a year old. thank you for the tips.

You're welcome.

I have color that I have since been periodically been cutting off, I relaxed over a color and although my hair doesn't look bad the colored part felt completly different from the rest.

If your hair is breaking that means it is brittle. Brittleness can come from too much protein (which does not sound like your case because I did not see you mention using protein). It can also come from lack of moisture. It can also come from using products that block out moisture which would then bring you back around to lack of moisture.

You mention the ends are damaged, it might also be time for a trim.

I personally would not do a treatment first, because everyones hair cant handle them. I would start with the mildest protein and work my way up from there. If there is no change then try a med protein and then work up to a hard protein if there still isn't any change.

Last edited:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Aphogee 2 step may be a little too harsh as previously mentioned. I don't have color but know from experience that aphogee 2 step is a hard protein and can cause protein overload based on your hair likes/dislikes. Aphogee 2minute is nice product to use but agree with all others, clarify first, protein and DC with a good moisturizing condish. I use Aphogee 2min for my protein and Aubrey Organics White Camellia for my DC. I sometimes use Lustrasilk shea butter and mango also.

bride91501

Sounds like you should up your protein. Maybe try an aphogee 2 step treatment, and assess from there.

I apologize for the abbreviated response. I was on the road when I responded, and I probably should have waited until I got home to give a more thorough response.

The reason I suggested the 2 step treatment is because you described your breakage as "massive". I am going to take that to mean "far more" than is usual for your hair. I have 3 daughters (with 3 different hair needs) and my oldest used to experience "massive" breakage on the regular before our HHJ. I tried lots of moisture & light protein treatments, but it wasn't until I gave her the aphogee 2 step that the breakage immediately halted.

If you're concerned about the 2 step being too strong for your hair (a very valid concern), I would do a strand test (using shed hairs), or as somone else suggested, start with a light protein treatment like the 2 minute Reconstructor, and see how your hair responds to that.

As also was suggested, either treatment should be done on hair that has first been clarified well. And of course follow-up either with a moisturizing DC.

HTH.