Breakage problem

EmeraldSky

My hair grows fast and is thick thankfully, but my problem is that I'm experiencing breakage, it's been going on for about a year.
I can't figure out what it is, I thought perhaps my hair needs more protein so I used nexxus's emergencee two weeks ago and Nexxus keraphix for my last wash (a week ago). When I comb my hair at the end of the day I loose about 10-15 hair due to breakage, on a good day I loose about 5 or 6. It's really frustrating because I can't figure out what's causing it. I bounced between products until recently, but for the last few weeks I have been using consistantly Creme of Nature's shampoo, L'anza's deep cleansing shampoo once a month and Nexxus' humecress conditioner which leaves my hair really soft. I tried Keracare humecto but it was too light for my hair and didn't detangle at all.
frown.gif
When I wash my hair I also get a moderate amount of tangles that makes rollersetting a chore. I rarely use heat except for rollersets, I used to blowdry my hair with every wash but it's been 6 or more months since I stopped. Also I used to use a no lye relaxer, but at my last touchup (6wks ago) I switched to Mizani lye.
I would really appreciate any help because I'm at a complete lose for how to stop the breakage.

Thanks!

ES...

10-15 hairs a day isn't a lot of breakage at all....
confused.gif
I understand your concern but it's almost impossible to stop any breakage whatsoever completely...the fact that it's been going on for a year and your hair is still thick and long (!) means to me that this is your normal, unavoidable breakage rate. You could try adding EEVO pretreats to add elasticity and pliablity but still...girl I think your asking a l'il too much of that healthy, happy mane!
smile.gif

As for the rollersetting, try getting a REALLY REALLY good detangling leave in. And make sure your hair is and stays very wet throughout the whole process...I don't see a leave in mentioned in your regime. It might help.
smile.gif

EmeraldSky,

You hair sounds like it's in good shape to me. I consider my hair healthy and I lose 4x that amount (daily). I've had good detangling results with CON shampoo and I see that you're using that, maybe you should consider conditioners/styling products that boast detangling.

Really? Oh my gosh, I've been worrying for nothing, I just always read comments about the ladies on the board who describe barely having any breakage if any at all so I just assumed I was doing something wrong. Thanks so much Tracy and Lala for the response, I feel much better. I learn so much from everyone on this board!!
I do however have to work on the tangles while rollersetting because I can loose anywhere from 40 to 70 hair in terms of breakage per wash!
mad.gif

My hair never liked any of the Nexxus products. They always made my hair break when I combed i. Maybe you could stop using the Nexxus for a while and see if that makes a difference. Try one of Pantene conditioners Elucence Moisture Balancing(except you'll have to order it online) or try Herbal Essences Conditioning Balm.

Sweetcococoa, I'm going to be purchasing the Clairol herbal essence conditioning balm as soon as I can find it, but as for the Nexxus I've only been using it as of recent and before that I was still getting the same amount of breakage, it's actually very moisturizing for my hair. I used to use it years ago, but stopped because it stopped working.

EmeraldSky...do a search on this site for the end sealing technique. I've tried this on someone w/ very dry ends to great (initial) success.

Protein is a good thing, but can be VERY easily overdone. Each time you use a protein conditioner, use a moisturizing one immediately afterwards. You probably don't need a protein conditioner any more than 1x per month or so, by the sounds of it.

The amount of hair loss you say your are experiencing isn't too bad, it's fairly normal to lose from 25-50 hairs per day, for various reasons. One of the easiest things to do is to comb you hair BEFORE you wash it, that helps tremendously wrt detangling. Also....before working the shampoo and/or conditioner in, rub you hands together to help distribute the product. It saves you tangles that tend to happen when you work the product thru your hair vigorously.

Lastly....AND this is just MHO, but Nexxus products may be your specific problem now. Nexxus uses "fixatives" (for more info about specifics, look it up, extensive topic) in their stuff. These things tend to build up on the hair overtime which can cause dryness (a major cause of breaking) and lack of sheen. A way to find out if you're experiencing buildup is to try a clarifying shampoo.

Hope this helps a bit.

EmeraldSky,

Hey there! First, I want to make sure you know how to distinguish between breakage and shedding.

If there is a white bulb at one end of the fallen strand, then that is SHEDDING and that is normal and ok. Breakage would be shorter strands with no bulb at the end.

I've been experiencing less breakage recently, but it still exists. I found that when I got a trim, that helped stop the breakage.

Also, a product I'd like to recommend is Elasta QP Intenstive treatment. I believe it's protein, so go easy. But unlike Motions CPR, I definitely noticed limited breakage. And I always do a Moisture conditioner after a protein conditioner, just to be sure.

Hope this helps!
AZ
: )

Hi AZ
smile.gif

I'm able to tell that it's breakage, it doesn't have the while bulb attached.

Jamarra,
Thanks a lot for those tips especially combing before washing, I'm going to try that.
smile.gif

As for the Nexxus I do agree that it definately does build up that's why I stopped using it for a while, however in this case I don't think it's responsible for my breakage because during the time I wasn't using it I still had the same amount if not more. I think it actually helped because it left my hair pretty soft. But again I will make sure that I find a back up conditioner because I am aware of the buildup factor of the humectress esp. combined with CON so I make sure I use a clarifying shampoo every month.

Back