breakage styles/uneven hair lengths

summerof1990

I wear a lot of buns and im thinking this is what gave my hair breakage.
The type of breakage u know is really bad bc one length is bra strap and certain sections are like reallly short. Three to four inches. (Like towards top sides of the head not hair line)

what type of protecrive styles would u recco?
Will it be safe to ue a snap pin (instead of bobby pins ) to keep the hair from getting handled too much?

If the breakage was sl i would cut it but im def not cutting all my hair. There would be no way to style it.
I'll let it grow a decent length then cut it alllll.

If u have experienced this please enlighten me on your story.

IS THIS A CUTE STYLE? PROTECTIVE AT THAT?

Last edited:

ChocolatePie777

Yeah that's cute...just add weave hair if you want and remeber to moisturize the exposed parts and the length and tie it down at night to keep it tidy

biznesswmn

Hi there
I would second that - moisturize the exposed parts, and seal! I wore my hair this way, didnt moisturize or seal, and it got dry and broke along the braid. The hair in the braid was moist and protected. Im thinking of doing a similar style myself but with more braids to limit exposed hair.
HTH

greenandchic

summerof1990 - I fail to comprehend how buns are causing breakage. Are they too tight? In the same spots all the time? What kind of ponytail holders are you using? Are you using socks? Mesh "socks"? Tell me more.

southerncitygirl

sharifeh

buns don't work for everyone, especially if you have fine areas. my hair around edges is fine and even if i don't use a brush or comb to pull it back my stylist can tell (i only see her about 4-5 times a year). i never pull it back tightly either.

i hate that ppl on this forum forget that everything doesn't work for everybody.....especially with co-washing and bunning.

summerof1990

summerof1990 - I fail to comprehend how buns are causing breakage. Are they too tight? In the same spots all the time? What kind of ponytail holders are you using? Are you using socks? Mesh "socks"? Tell me more.

nooo no socks and im just wearing a bun that is basically a curled under ponytail something simple. just a regular tuck in the hair pony no extra socks nothing

Enyo

Bunning has been really good to the back of my hair, but not the front. I recently started wearing the front part of my hair in twists and the back in a bun to see if it helps. My hair is almost WL in the front and only collarbone length in the front and on the sides. I hope the manipulation won't make it worse.

Sent from p

greenandchic

nooo no socks and im just wearing a bun that is basically a curled under ponytail something simple. just a regular tuck in the hair pony no extra socks nothing

My strands are on the finer side and I have to keep my buns/ponytails looser and change positions every now and then. I also use satin covered ponytail holders.

I actually experience breakage at the nape from my shirt collars. :nono:

summerof1990

Bunning has been really good to the back of my hair, but not the front. I recently started wearing the front part of my hair in twists and the back in a bun to see if it helps. My hair is almost WL in the front and only collarbone length in the front and on the sides. I hope the manipulation won't make it worse.

Sent from p

SEE!!! i guess some of us aren't bun friendly what I plan to do is give the sections that are really short extraaaa moisture at need and pin it down so avoid it being exposed...

Ms Lala

Regular brushed back buns do not work well for me either on a regular basis. My edges can't take it. I usually do some type of tuck or twist in the front. I wouldn't cut my hair. Maybe a braid out updo with the ends hanging out at the top. The braid out should help the different lengths blend.

Enyo

SEE!!! i guess some of us aren't bun friendly what I plan to do is give the sections that are really short extraaaa moisture at need and pin it down so avoid it being exposed...

Whoops. I meant WL in the BACK, but I see you understood me anyway. This thread is very timely for me because I have literally been trying to get the front to catch up for a year. Because the back has gotten so long, I never thought it was the bun. So last week, I decided to wear twist in the front at least 4 days a week and a straight bun for the rest of the time. I also started using a sulfur mix 3 times a week on the front section of my hair.

Sent from my messy iPhone