Brillo Pad Hair (sorry no pics)

My hair looks and feels like a Brillo pad. (Hence the lack of pictures) I took my extensions out last night and washed my hair this morning, conditioned it, etc... It was fine until it dried and now I have a Brillo pad. For all the ladies with Brillo pad hair, what exactly am I supposed to do about this? I went and bought myself a wig and slapped it on immediately. The wig is cute but I'm sick of covering up my hair. I've been covering it up longer than I been on this board. I don't want a relaxer but I'm considering a short texturized do but I don't want it to look like I have a greasy, jheri curl.
Ughhhh :wallbash: Any tips, words of consolation? I considered going bald today but I don't think I have the face for it. :ohwell:

*Muffin*

My hair looks and feels like a Brillo pad. (Hence the lack of pictures) I took my extensions out last night and washed my hair this morning, conditioned it, etc... It was fine until it dried and now I have a Brillo pad. For all the ladies with Brillo pad hair, what exactly am I supposed to do about this? I went and bought myself a wig and slapped it on immediately. The wig is cute but I'm sick of covering up my hair. I've been covering it up longer than I been on this board. I don't want a relaxer but I'm considering a short texturized do but I don't want it to look like I have a greasy, jheri curl.
Ughhhh :wallbash: Any tips, words of consolation? I considered going bald today but I don't think I have the face for it. :ohwell:

Did you regular condition or deep condition? I would recommend deep conditioning it (perhaps with heat), especially after taking out extensions. You might also want to cleanse/clarify before you deep condition to help it get soft. I like doing ACV rinses to clarify and fix porosity and roughness problems.

Did you regular condition or deep condition? I would recommend deep conditioning it (perhaps with heat), especially after taking out extensions. You might also want to cleanse/clarify before you deep condition to help it get soft. I like doing ACV rinses to clarify and fix porosity and roughness problems.
Thanks. I guess shouldn't be complaining because I did not do anything to my hair while it was in extensions. I was being lazy but... I will say my hair has always been dry even when I conditioned it regularly. I like the idea of clarifying so I'm starting off fresh.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
What did you use to Wash/Condition with? Did you Deep Condition at all? Have you, do you, or are you using Porosity Control to try to "soften" your Hair.

Did you Clarify first?

Did you use Protein Based or Moisture Based Products?

What exactly was your Regimen (if you don't mind me asking)?:yep:

*Muffin*

Thanks. I guess shouldn't be complaining because I did not do anything to my hair while it was in extensions. I was being lazy but... I will say my hair has always been dry even when I conditioned it regularly. I like the idea of clarifying so I'm starting off fresh.

It may take some time, but your hair will eventually get back on balance. I don't recommend relaxing,texlaxing, or doing any other kind of chemical service until your hair is back on balance, though. Don't want to risk damaging it too much. Just focus on nursing it back to health and the softness will return :).

What did you use to Wash/Condition with? Did you Deep Condition at all? Have you, do you, or are you using Porosity Control to try to "soften" your Hair.

Did you Clarify first?

Did you use Protein Based or Moisture Based Products?

What exactly was your Regimen (if you don't mind me asking)?:yep:
Well I actually had a regimen prior to getting extensions. I washed my hair biweekly, deep conditioned and put moisturizer on it. After I got extensions I washed my hair but it was difficult to get in between the tracks the first couple times because I had a net on. I have not used porosity control. See the thing is, I tried a lot of these things before I got extensions and my hair was still hard. I tried to balance between protein conditioners and moisturizing ones, I cowashed, deep conditioned, etc. I'm wandering if I should go to a stylist. I have one in mind that does natural hair. I know she's good just a tad expensive. It might be worth it. I really don't want to go the chemical route until I can figure out what's going on first.

msa

Well I actually had a regimen prior to getting extensions. I washed my hair biweekly, deep conditioned and put moisturizer on it. After I got extensions I washed my hair but it was difficult to get in between the tracks the first couple times because I had a net on. I have not used porosity control. See the thing is, I tried a lot of these things before I got extensions and my hair was still hard. I tried to balance between protein conditioners and moisturizing ones, I cowashed, deep conditioned, etc. I'm wandering if I should go to a stylist. I have one in mind that does natural hair. I know she's good just a tad expensive. It might be worth it. I really don't want to go the chemical route until I can figure out what's going on first.

Have you done any reading on the science of hair? That's always helped me figure out things better than anything else.

msa

Not since 1996. So I'm sure that book is out of date. Do you have any suggestions?

These are my go to resources for basics...

The World of Hair
....really informative "book" by PG Science (makers of pantene and other products).

The Beauty Brains...a blog by a few scientists who answer questions about cosmetics. I've found some really helpful information about things we take as the gospel truth around here.

The Natural Haven...another blog with a scientific approach to hair care questions.

These are my go to resources for basics...

The World of Hair
....really informative "book" by PG Science (makers of pantene and other products).

The Beauty Brains...a blog by a few scientists who answer questions about cosmetics. I've found some really helpful information about things we take as the gospel truth around here.

The Natural Haven...another blog with a scientific approach to hair care questions.
Thank you so much! I will be checking this out while I try to be patient and nurse my hair back to health.

MsEllie

I wish you luck - my hair was feeling like a brillo pad when I first started back on Feb 1, 2009 which is what lead me to the boards. For me I found that I had to add deep conditioning to my regimen, wash once a week I didn't use protein because I did the strand test and found that my hair was lacking moisture... for the last four months its been moisture now my hair is healthy and after this last wash it feels like it could use a protein treatment so that is what I'll do Wednesday. I stopped using shampoo with SLS in it to and I co wash once a week. Now my hair is soft as a pillow. I can't believe the difference.