DRY,POROUS, BRITTLE, BRILLO PAD, 4ZZ HAIR

PurAngl1

Ok, so I am not new to this forum, but I lurk most of the time. I have relaxed 4zz (if that's possible) hair. I hate it and it's never ever soft and it is ALWAYS dry, no matter what. I tried everything and my hair is always dry and brittle. Currently, I am baggying. But I notice that once I take the bag off and my hair dries, it's super dry and brittle. I went to comb it today and couldn't. I loss to much hair because my hair is thick and the comb can't go through (I use a super wide tooth comb). I am only 2 weeks post relaxer. I take pride in my hair. So i don't neglect. I wash and deep condition (with ors replenishing pak) 2x a week and use UBH protein conditioner 1x per week.

I don't know what to do. I am sooo frustrated. I tried ACV rinses, deep conditioning, no heat, moisturize daily with ORS or B&B, hot oil treatments, glycerin, pre pooing, co wash with suave humectress and yes to cucumbers, porosity control all the time, protein treatments once a week, coconut as oil as a treatment and a sealant, I went natural, etc. I know for a fact my hair extremely, extemely porous and always has been. So, my question is can my hair be permanently porous and nothing can fix that, which means I will always have dry brillo pad hair? I need help I really want long hair. I was hoping that baggying would help. But my hair is dry. :wallbash: And I don't mean normal dry, I mean Sahara desert dry. The only way I can get a comb through it is with heat. And I mean roller set, blow dry, then flat iron, which I stopped awhile ago. But it takes this long process to get my relaxed hair straight :sad:. My hair is that rough and thick. The only way I can describe it is BRILLO PAD! How can you moisturize a brillo pad? How can you straighten a brillo pad? How can you relieve the tangles of a brillo pad? Without breaking it in the process

And yes my diet is good. I eat a well balanced diet, lots of water, and I am in superb health. My hair has been porous since I was in diapers. Is there anything I can do, please help. How can I close my cuticles? When I use heat my hair doesn't require much moisturizer and it doesn't break much, because its less force to comb through. But I don't want to use heat anymore. My ends still pay for it and my hair is still dry looking. Please help!!! I am desparate. Anyone else with extremely porous hair?

Also ACV and PC tend to tangle my hair too and clumps it together. Detanglers don't even work for me. I think I have the worst head of hair. The only way I can retain length is with braids and I don't want to do that. I cur my hair off twice before Halle Berry short. It grew back only because it was in braids all the time. It is now shoulder length, but shorter in the front. Also, my nape is short too, due to tight scarf. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help. All advice is welcomed, especially those with my porosity condition and hair type. I feel like nothing works for me. I was thinking about using a chelating shampoo. I never used it before and was thinking that I have mineral buildup, which are not making my products effective.

Sorry this is so long, but I had to get this off my chest. I am hoping to find a miracle in your responses. I really hate my hair :sad: and thinking about it makes me want to cry.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I also had Extremely Porous Hair from Chemical Damage/Overprocessing. And since I knew that, I began to look for products that could help me. I also knew that my hair was severely damaged, weak, dry & brittle.:perplexed

So I began to dilligently search out products to help me balance my Protein & Moisture and I went to work. I researched those things religiously until I found a Cure and a Regimen to Help me Get My Hair Back on Track.:yep:

I used Protein and always finished it up with a Moisturizing DC Treatment of some sort and always with heat and then my PC for a Final Rinse.

It sounds like you said you are using a lot of protein, i.e. ORS and the UBH, but You really didn't reference what Moisturizers you are using weekly, daily etc.....I also Clarify when needed to remove any product Buildup.

It sounded like you are using "Shampoo" but you didn't say what kind? That could also be very drying.......

And you didn't say what you were Baggying with. I know sometimes if you are not doing it correctly, you can end up with dry hair afterwards as well.

I think you should actually List what you are using and then people will be better equipped to really help you sort out your issues.:yep:

LaidBak

You have tried quite a bit! I'm sorry and I hope you find the answers you need. I am a 4 as well and I had dry, super porous hair for years. PC helped me tremendously, but I see you already tried that. The only thing I can think of is " protein treatments once a week, " this might be a bit much. Even the slightest bit of protein makes my hair a dry, stiff, tangled matted mess. Maybe examine the ingredients of the products you use to limit the amount of protein you are exposed to. That helped me so much.
Also, if you live in a dry climate glycerin will do more harm than good. I read another thread that said it has to be 65% humidity outside (or higher) or the glycerin will suck the moisture OUT of your hair.

Maybe you can also try oil rinses with EVOO. EVOO is another thing I discovered that helped add moisture to my hair.
Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you.

taz007

I have been where you are!!!

Please list all of your ingredients and then "diagnose" the problem more accurately.

The first thing that I notice though is that you are possibly using too much protein. I did that in the beginning of my journey.

Now, I use protein only on Mondays. I use a moisturizing routine on Wednesdays and Fridays.

I hope that we can help!

BTW, I am 4ZZZ, coarse and thick as well

Last edited:

msa

It does seem like you may be using too much protein. And you may be right, chelating could possibly help your products work better, especially if you hve hard water or use a no lye relaxer. Also, is it possible that you have thyroid condition or something else that's affecting your hair? Is your skin dry as well? Do you have brittle nails? That could be a sign that something is wrong with that whole system.

Anyway, can you give us details about what your regimen has been for your last relaxer cycle? That will help us answer your questions.

Pandora1975

I'm not relaxed, but I have to ask- why would no-lye cause a need for chelating? My mom is relaxed, and I've been trying to help her out.

OP: I had the same problem too when I started my journey. I've switched up a lot of my products and its helped. Adding things like unrefined shea butter, castor oil, and at least monthly henna treatments (in place of protein- I get enough in my diet) have made a world of difference.

Last edited:

SelahOco

I was thinking too much protein too. Does your hair like EVOO? I always recommend Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Conditioning Mask. It's relatively inexpensive and it really gives a lot of moisture.

I'd say, lay off the protein for a minute and try just rich, yummy deep conditioning treatments that focus on moisture only.

I've also found that porosity control works best for me if I mix it into a moisturizing deep condish plus some EVOO and a little Coconut Oil.

My hair HATES ORS and is always very hard afterwards.

msa

I'm not relaxed, but I have to ask- why would no-lye cause a need for chelating? My mom is relaxed, and I've been trying to help her out.

OP: I had the same problem too when I started my journey. I've switched up a lot of my products and its helped. Adding things like unrefined shea butter, castor oil, and at least monthly henna treatments (in place of protein- I get enough in my diet) have made a world of difference.

No-lye relaxers leave mineral deposits in the hair strand which can lead to dryness and breakage. So no-lye users should chelate their hair, that's what I read here.

angenoir

Ok, so I am not new to this forum, but I lurk most of the time. I have relaxed 4zz (if that's possible) hair. I hate it and it's never ever soft and it is ALWAYS dry, no matter what. I tried everything and my hair is always dry and brittle. Currently, I am baggying. But I notice that once I take the bag off and my hair dries, it's super dry and brittle. I went to comb it today and couldn't. I loss to much hair because my hair is thick and the comb can't go through (I use a super wide tooth comb). I am only 2 weeks post relaxer. I take pride in my hair. So i don't neglect. I wash and deep condition (with ors replenishing pak) 2x a week and use UBH protein conditioner 1x per week.

I don't know what to do. I am sooo frustrated. I tried ACV rinses, deep conditioning, no heat, moisturize daily with ORS or B&B, hot oil treatments, glycerin, pre pooing, co wash with suave humectress and yes to cucumbers, porosity control all the time, protein treatments once a week, coconut as oil as a treatment and a sealant, I went natural, etc. I know for a fact my hair extremely, extemely porous and always has been. So, my question is can my hair be permanently porous and nothing can fix that, which means I will always have dry brillo pad hair? I need help I really want long hair. I was hoping that baggying would help. But my hair is dry. :wallbash: And I don't mean normal dry, I mean Sahara desert dry. The only way I can get a comb through it is with heat. And I mean roller set, blow dry, then flat iron, which I stopped awhile ago. But it takes this long process to get my relaxed hair straight :sad:. My hair is that rough and thick. The only way I can describe it is BRILLO PAD! How can you moisturize a brillo pad? How can you straighten a brillo pad? How can you relieve the tangles of a brillo pad? Without breaking it in the process

And yes my diet is good. I eat a well balanced diet, lots of water, and I am in superb health. My hair has been porous since I was in diapers. Is there anything I can do, please help. How can I close my cuticles? When I use heat my hair doesn't require much moisturizer and it doesn't break much, because its less force to comb through. But I don't want to use heat anymore. My ends still pay for it and my hair is still dry looking. Please help!!! I am desparate. Anyone else with extremely porous hair?

Also ACV and PC tend to tangle my hair too and clumps it together. Detanglers don't even work for me. I think I have the worst head of hair. The only way I can retain length is with braids and I don't want to do that. I cur my hair off twice before Halle Berry short. It grew back only because it was in braids all the time. It is now shoulder length, but shorter in the front. Also, my nape is short too, due to tight scarf. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help. All advice is welcomed, especially those with my porosity condition and hair type. I feel like nothing works for me. I was thinking about using a chelating shampoo. I never used it before and was thinking that I have mineral buildup, which are not making my products effective.

Sorry this is so long, but I had to get this off my chest. I am hoping to find a miracle in your responses. I really hate my hair :sad: and thinking about it makes me want to cry.

The ladies here have given you good advice.
I have really only been on my hair journey since last year but I did go through a dry hair spell. What I would say is that you are using a lot of protein and maybe doing too much to your hair?

I would say shelve the protein products for now and only use MOISTURIZING DC’s maybe twice a week.
In addition, don't using such a stripping shampoo each time you wash. Try to use a more moisturizing shampoo.

Also when you baggy, try baggying with EVOO.
Avoid glycerin and try some shea butter.

I would advise you to keep your regimen very simple with few products. In this way you will soon begin to notice what works for you.

PS - Do you have any pics of your hair? It could help if you posted some because someone with a similar hair type could chime in and make some suggestions:yep:
Good luck.

Last edited:

PurAngl1

I have been where you are!!!

Please list all of your ingredients and then "diagnose" the problem more accurately.

The first thing that I notice though is that you are possibly using too much protein. I did that in the beginning of my journey.

Now, I use protein only on Mondays. I use a moisturizing routine on Wednesdays and Fridays.

I hope that we can help!

BTW, I am 4ZZZ, coarse and thick as well

Now that I think about it, I may be using too much protein. So does ORS contain proteins? I thought it was all moisture. I will also try to cut out the products that contain cones. Does you have any recommendations? What is your moisturizing routine?

PurAngl1

It does seem like you may be using too much protein. And you may be right, chelating could possibly help your products work better, especially if you hve hard water or use a no lye relaxer. Also, is it possible that you have thyroid condition or something else that's affecting your hair? Is your skin dry as well? Do you have brittle nails? That could be a sign that something is wrong with that whole system.

Anyway, can you give us details about what your regimen has been for your last relaxer cycle? That will help us answer your questions.

No thyroid problems that I know of. I have gone to the doc and got blood work done and everything is ok. In fact, all of my results came out to be perfect. But how do you check your thyroid specifically? I don't have dry skin though, but my nails are always breaking.

Pandora1975

Now that I think about it, I may be using too much protein. So does ORS contain proteins? I thought it was all moisture. I will also try to cut out the products that contain cones. Does you have any recommendations? What is your moisturizing routine?

Yes, ORS does have proteins. Its not a heavy protein, but it might be too much for you at this point. Even though I eat red meat like a lioness, I still use ORS on occasion when I can't find my usual dc. I doctor it with the same things I doctor my other dc with though like honey, castor, coconut, and olive oil. I read somewhere that most conditioners contain protein of some sort, so maybe making your own for a while would help. That way you can control amounts.

PurAngl1

Ok so I my hair regimen is as follows:

I only been out of braids since January 2009. Before that I was always, always in braids but I took care of my hair. I moisturized it daily, but never deep conditioned. I only dc'd when i took the braids out.

Anyway, I wash 2x per week. I been using Goldwell Shampoo (contains sulfates, so I will not be using this anymore) for dry brittle hair. But recently (past week) I been co washing with yes to cucumbers. I then follow up with UBH DC mixed with ORS Replenishing Pak and sometimes a little EVOO or Coconut Oil. When I try to not use protein I use yes to carrots mud mask. I thought this has no protein, but not too sure now. I then rinse and apply PC and sometimes ACV rinse. My hair is always tangled though and clumps together. Last wash I tried PM's The Detangler and it was a tangled mess still. I do this twice a week. Then I moisturize with BB or (pink and white bottle) and seal with Coconut Oil. I ran out of Coconut Oil and purchased NTM serum and seal with that sometimes. After that, I roller set then flat iron. However, the past two weeks I haven't roller set or flat ironed. I decided to baggy and bun. But my hair still dry. I baggy with yes to cucumbers conditioner (not a leave in) or creme of nature rosemary leave in conditioner, and seal with NTM serum. My hair is wet by morning.

Also, I think everything I use has cones. I never knew the importance of not using cones until I read about it. So, I will be eliminating all cones. Also, I don't clarify much, maybe once every 6 months. But like I said I just started wearing my hair out in January. The only products that I have used consistantly are UBH deep condish and UBH hair lotion, ORS Replenishing Pak, and PC. Everything else I try and if it doesn't work I try something else. Please help ladies. I don't think I have hard water, well not that hard. I live in NYC. I been using no-lye relaxers (switch brands) for the longest, but my last relaxer was ORS lye. I need to find a regimen that will leave my hair moisturzed and easy to comb. Everything I use feels good wet, then when it dried its crunchy and brittle. I feel like heat is my only option, but my hair breaks alot from that and I don't want to do heat for a whole year. Thank you all!

PurAngl1

I also had Extremely Porous Hair from Chemical Damage/Overprocessing. And since I knew that, I began to look for products that could help me. I also knew that my hair was severely damaged, weak, dry & brittle.:perplexed

So I began to dilligently search out products to help me balance my Protein & Moisture and I went to work. I researched those things religiously until I found a Cure and a Regimen to Help me Get My Hair Back on Track.:yep:

I used Protein and always finished it up with a Moisturizing DC Treatment of some sort and always with heat and then my PC for a Final Rinse.

It sounds like you said you are using a lot of protein, i.e. ORS and the UBH, but You really didn't reference what Moisturizers you are using weekly, daily etc.....I also Clarify when needed to remove any product Buildup.

It sounded like you are using "Shampoo" but you didn't say what kind? That could also be very drying.......

And you didn't say what you were Baggying with. I know sometimes if you are not doing it correctly, you can end up with dry hair afterwards as well.

I think you should actually List what you are using and then people will be better equipped to really help you sort out your issues.:yep:

What products are you using specifically. PC worked for me in the beginning, but now it does nothing. I have slip whatsoever!

PurAngl1

The ladies here have given you good advice.
I have really only been on my hair journey since last year but I did go through a dry hair spell. What I would say is that you are using a lot of protein and maybe doing too much to your hair?

I would say shelve the protein products for now and only use MOISTURIZING DC’s maybe twice a week.
In addition, don't using such a stripping shampoo each time you wash. Try to use a more moisturizing shampoo.

Also when you baggy, try baggying with EVOO.
Avoid glycerin and try some shea butter.

I would advise you to keep your regimen very simple with few products. In this way you will soon begin to notice what works for you.

PS - Do you have any pics of your hair? It could help if you posted some because someone with a similar hair type could chime in and make some suggestions:yep:
Good luck.

I try the unrefined shea butter that you can get from the Africans. Its yellow. But that left my hair with a thick coating :nono:. I didn't like it. Maybe I can tweak it and tryit again. I will EVOO another try, but that seemed to do nothing to my hair. I def think I was doing too much to it, esp with all the heat. But I stopped and my hair is still dry. How long does it take to recover? I will try to post pics today when I get home. How do I do that?

melodies815

I am co-signing on the too-much-protein bandwagon.

After every protein treatment, you have to moisturize like crazy. Like the ladies here have stated, I would cut the protein completely for a little while. Moisturize when you wash and condition. I would say DC twice a week until the problem is resolved...

...and try to stay away from the protein until you see results.

Sorry you are going through this. Please repost to update us!

Blessings,
cj

PurAngl1

I definitely think my hair is over processed. Whenever I relaxed my hair the relaxer always overlapped. That's why I will try to stretch longer and apply only to NG. So is the damage permanent? Whenever I go to the salon, they say my hair is in relatively good condition, but its just thick. One stylist even told me that I need to apply a relaxer to the length of my hair. I often get asked when the last time I had a relaxer (and I only been 1 week post relaxer). Or I would go to the salon and they say you need a relaxer, knowing that I don't because I just had one. That's how poroous my hair is. If there is not heat to straighten it, it looks as if I don't have a relaxer. And it's not underprocessed. I keep the relaxer in for the recommended amount of time and it get straight. But relaxers don't get it super duper straight. I still some heat. But I am trying to stay away.

PurAngl1

I am co-signing on the too-much-protein bandwagon.

After every protein treatment, you have to moisturize like crazy. Like the ladies here have stated, I would cut the protein completely for a little while. Moisturize when you wash and condition. I would say DC twice a week until the problem is resolved...

...and try to stay away from the protein until you see results.

Sorry you are going through this. Please repost to update us!

Blessings,
cj

Thank you I will def lay off the protein. And I will DC with moisture twice a week. However, about my porous hair will the moisture that I put in my hair just leave my hair? :sad:

PurAngl1

How can I get straight hair without heat? My hair needs some type of straightening or else it will be too hard to detangle or even just comb. It took me an hour to comb my hair out last night and I am only 2 weeks post relaxer. I am going to try the ponytail rollerset, put a baggy on the rollers and airdry it. Hopefully my hair will be nice and soft this way.

*Any recommendations for a moisturizing deep conditioner with no cones????

simone103

What relaxer do you use? Not all relaxers are created equal and some can make your hair drier than others. Keracare humecto is an excellent moisturizing conditioner, but it does have cones. I use a chelating shampoo from Kenra that removes a lot of the cones from the products that I use.

PurAngl1

You have tried quite a bit! I'm sorry and I hope you find the answers you need. I am a 4 as well and I had dry, super porous hair for years. PC helped me tremendously, but I see you already tried that. The only thing I can think of is " protein treatments once a week, " this might be a bit much. Even the slightest bit of protein makes my hair a dry, stiff, tangled matted mess. Maybe examine the ingredients of the products you use to limit the amount of protein you are exposed to. That helped me so much.
Also, if you live in a dry climate glycerin will do more harm than good. I read another thread that said it has to be 65% humidity outside (or higher) or the glycerin will suck the moisture OUT of your hair.

Maybe you can also try oil rinses with EVOO. EVOO is another thing I discovered that helped add moisture to my hair.
Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you.

Thanks. My hair looks a lot like your after I go to the salon. Its about that length. What is your specific reggie? what DC do you use? I will try EVOO again and see what it does? Do you use heat often? If you don't use heat what does your look like? I'm asking because you said you had porous hair.

I will def not use glycerin anymore. I am going to chelate later on this week and start with a clean slate. I think I will also use Roux Extreme Moisture pack. This should do the trick.

AtlantaJJ

There's a lot of great advice her to help you to combat dryness. There are ways to get your cuticle closed but you need to address your protein moisture balance as stated first.

bravenewgirl87

I think you should stop with the protein and only use it once a week. It seems that you're using a protein treatment instead of a moisturizing treatment. ORS is pretty strong to use after a strengthening conditioner and will cause breakage.
Some really good moisturizing conditioners w moisturizing protein (some proteins are moisturizing):

• Terax Crema Ultra- Moisturizing Daily conditioner
  • Redken All Soft Heavy Cream or Smooth Down Treatment
  • Hamadi Shea mask
  • MOP Extreme moisture
  • Pantene Restorative Time Renewal mask
I would not recommend that you should use a protein conditioner weekly. I think you should only use it for no longer than 30 mins., maximum. Use the moisturizing conditioner for a little longer than the protein.

Here are a couple conditioners that are good for co-washing. I suggest you find a hairstyle that is easy to do daily and start co-washing daily for a week:

• Komaza Care Shea butter conditioner
  • Pantene NatureFusion conditioner
  • V05 Strawberry and Cream conditoner
  • Bumble and Bumble Alojoba conidtioner ***
  • Pantene Moisture Rinse-off treatment
Leave them in for a little longer than a rinse-out. You can even put heat on them (I've done it before).
Here are some great moisturizers for your hair. Apply these when your hair is wet; they work much better that way:

• Komaza Care Shea Cream
  • Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root
  • Africa's Best Kids Organics Shea Butter Detangler
  • AG Leave-in

KiniKakes

I'm sure it's already been said, but I would definitely begin baggying. Also, for the next couple months, I would stop washing with shampoo altogether and con-wash only. (Maybe a good clarifying poo once per month to remove any build-up this may cause).

Pandora1975

About the shea butter- try mixing it. I can't use it straight from the tub either. My current batch is shea, mango, coconut and a touch of castor oil. I use it lightly and no more buildup.

jerseygurl

Not a new member
HI Purangel, sorry to hear about your issues. I'm a relaxed head and I also through dry spells. All the ladies have given excellent advice and suggestions as usual so there isn't much I will say.

On your next wash get a chelating shampoo - I use ORS Aloe shampoo does the trick for me
DC with a moisturizing DC - I use Sally's GVP conditioning balm. Also Lustrasilk, Trader Joe's Nourish Spa (haven't tried this personally)
Always DC with heat for at least 30 minutes or more

Look through the Downright Delicious Deep Conditioning challenge thread, that should give you more options. Good luck

Lady Esquire

Have you ever read SistaSlick's Articles? If not, I have posted links from her earlier articles about regimen building. I agree with what's been said about too much protein. If you must use protein, use it as a pre-shampoo treatment. I use the Porosity Control before I do a moisture treatment as well. If you must use shampoo, use the most moisturizing one you can find, and use only a little. I find that I can get away with not using shampoo for a while, as long as I am using great conditioners. Also, follow all of your protein treatments with moisturizing treatments, under heat to infuse it into the strands. Also, alternate with steam treatments, which also provide moisture to the hair.

Your problem may also lie in the leave-in conditioners. Find leave-ins that are ultra moiturizing, and seal them in with oils. On a daily basis, you may also have to do the same.

Start building a regimen. Do some reserch, write down the products you like and don't like, experiment with emollients and natural ingredients like honey.

1.) Regimen Building Basics for Newbies
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/288340/hair_regimen_building_for_newbies.html

2.) Selecting a Moisturizing Shampoo
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/313061/how_to_select_a_moisturizing_shampoo.html

3.) Counteracting the Harsh Effects of Drying Sulfate Shampoos
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/425998/counteracting_the_harsh_effects_of.html

4.) Selecting a Moisturizing Conditioner http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/313072/how_to_select_a_moisturizing_conditioner.html

Last edited:

Xerxes

I definitely think my hair is over processed. Whenever I relaxed my hair the relaxer always overlapped. That's why I will try to stretch longer and apply only to NG. So is the damage permanent? Whenever I go to the salon, they say my hair is in relatively good condition, but its just thick. One stylist even told me that I need to apply a relaxer to the length of my hair. I often get asked when the last time I had a relaxer (and I only been 1 week post relaxer). Or I would go to the salon and they say you need a relaxer, knowing that I don't because I just had one. That's how poroous my hair is. If there is not heat to straighten it, it looks as if I don't have a relaxer. And it's not underprocessed. I keep the relaxer in for the recommended amount of time and it get straight. But relaxers don't get it super duper straight. I still some heat. But I am trying to stay away.

It looks like your main problem is bad relaxer technique. Who is giving you your relaxers? Are you being consistent with them? Why are you overlapping the relaxer?

Seriously, a relaxer should only be applied to the newgrowth and if your relaxers aren't straightening the newgrowth, then you need to get a corrective to rectify the situation. I don't understand how just 1 week post relaxer, the hairstylists can't tell you have been relaxed. Your hair seems to have never been properly relaxed in the first place and it is of extreme importance for you to go to a professional to help you get a proper corrective.

Also you mentioned coming out of braids but didn't explain how you detangled your hair afterwards and when you relaxed after taking them out. All of this is stressing to your hair and can make it dry and brittle if it's not handled properly.

In my opinion, based on what you have said, protein/shampoo is not the culprit. You need to be more vigilant about your relaxers and pay attention to the stress your hair has suffered from being braided up. You mentioned that you never deep conditioned while in braids and I think that is another reason why your hair lacks moisture and is hard to detangle.

During this time, please stick with one stylist you trust to give you a corrective and proper moisturizing conditioning treatments. Please stop overlapping/overprocessing your hair and let one professional help you out routinely. :)

Ronnieaj

Hi PurAngel1,

I'm going to try not to repeat everything that's been said here already, but I just wanted to follow up on some things you mentioned:

1. The Yes to Carrots Mud Conditioner is a moisturizing conditioner, not a protein one, so that's good for laying off the protein. Do note, however, that there is a -cone in it, namely dimethicone. It's around halfway down ingredient list, so keep that in mind if you're trying to eliminate cones from your regimen. Aubrey Organics makes alot of silicone free conditioners; the Honeysuckle Rose and White Camellila are exceptional, and they cost around the same as the YTC.

2. You should try mixing the PC in with the deep conditioner. A lot of people get very good results that way.

3. There may be, as has been suggested, a variety of culprits here. I would certainly watch who you're allowing to do your hair, but sticking with moisture for a while I feel will help you. I do want you to be cautious about going overboard in either direction. Your hair does need a balance of protein and moisture; right now I concur that you have too much protein, but too much moisture can also be a problem. At some point you'll want to gradually reintroduce it back into your routine. Good luck!!

spritex

Hi there, hope the tips are useful - I know I have gained a lot from reading this thread. Just to add- review your use of coconut oil - while not strictly a protein it acts by aiding the binding of protein to the hair. So this might be a problem if you hair is already protein overloaded. You might want to use another oil as a sealant/pre-poo/baggy oil for a while. Try EVOO or jojoba oil.