Brushing the hair . . . .

Glib Gurl

I know some ladies here don't brush or comb their hair at all (or at least try to keep it to a minimum to prevent breakage). But I'm thinking . . . can't brushing your hair daily be a good thing? (I'm thinking like Marcia Brady and her 500 strokes a day. *lol*) I mean, we lose between 40-120 strands a day anyways . . . isn't it better to brush out the dead hair?

Just wondering people's thoughts on this . . . ..

SpiritJunkie

i brush my hair daily because i wear a ponytail everday..(baggy). I do smooth out and untangle with fingers first...and use a dorag to flatten.

i haven't seen any adverse effects to this.

tryingto

I brush my newgrowth,it is great for detangling , I do not take it out to the ends, I also find it stimulates my scalp, :yep:

SouthernTease

No. :nono:
Brushes are evil!!!
If you brush your hair 500 times a
day, you'll be brushing your hair right
out of your scalp. They used to say brush your
hair 9 million times a day because brushes were said to
stimulate your scalp blah blah blah
but we now know you can get the same results by doing
scalp massages. I gave up brushes months ago and my hair
thanks me for it. But, if you're going to use a brush... use
it sparingly and only those brushed with the thick bristles
with the rounded balls at the end.. ie: a paddle brush by Denman
If you don't want to take my word for it...
take a look at the women with relaxed/curly/wavy hair who have reached APL & beyond...

Last edited:

Neroli

IMO, whether brushing is beneficial or detrimental is an individual thing. Just cuz it works for Marcia Brady don't mean it works for me. And, just cuz I can't even THINK about putting brush to my hair, don't mean you shouldn't.

My particular stands are thin/fine, very very dense and very thick -- even the best brush is harmful, damaging the surface or cuticles of each strand, not to mention the globs of hair left in the brush!. Add to the fact that I tex-lax periodical and brushing just a big no no for me. :nono: Even before the hair boards, I never used brushes.

Now someone with 2a, thick strands, dense thick hair and no chemicals might be able to brush with no harm done . . . :yep:

Katt73

Brushes = Evil!

I purchased a paddle brush about two weeks ago after not having brushed my hair in years. At first, I thought, "Wow...this is great! My hair is detangled and flowing in the breeze!". Then, about five days ago, I started seeing inch-long broken pieces of hair ALL OVER THE PLACE. I've never had issues with breakage before (shedding, yes, but not breakage) I started using that brush. It's the only thing I can attribute this very sudden and dramatic change in my hair to. I washed, DC'd, and things seem to be better. I am done with that stupid brush!

vivEz daNs lamouR

For someone who is relaxed, how would you wrap your hair without using a brush? I use a wide tooth comb more than anything but I AM a victim of brushing...:ohwell:

kiesha8185

I agree with Neroli, it really is a individual thing. I don't like to brush my hair, I barely even comb it (only once every one or two weeks on wash day) but that's just me.

Smcbarnett, for me, I realize that when my hair is not moisturized properly, I need to use a brush in order to keep my wrap "in place" before I put on my silk scarf. When it's moisturized, a comb is all I need to use for it to stay wrapped...I don't know why....:look: But that's one way I learned when my hair needs a little moisture

sowhut

I cant brush the front of my hair (bangs area). Its a different texture than the rest of my head and it breaks easily but i never had a problem brushing the other areas of my head.

aurora3140

For someone who is relaxed, how would you wrap your hair without using a brush? I use a wide tooth comb more than anything but I AM a victim of brushing...:ohwell:

I'm relaxed and I've wrapped my hair for years, back when it was above SL and I still do it occasionally now that it's almost APL. I've never used a brush to wrap. I used to start out wrapping with a wide-toothed comb and holding sections to my head with a metal duckbill clip (since my hair was short and didn't want to stay wrapped). Then, I'd slide each clip out and smooth (just skimming the top) with a smaller-toothed comb. The same went for wet wrapping.

Now, my hair is "trained" to wrap and all I need to use is my wide-toothed comb and lean my head in the direction my hair needs to go. The process takes less than 30 seconds.

It can be done. It just takes a bit of practice.