Brushing long black hair daily pros cons

levette

Culturally speaking we as black women do not brush our hair daily right.. I'm assuming because our hair is more fragile.. But brushing helps to distribute sebum in the hair and loosens flakes... It makes me wonder if this contributes to my sons fast hair growth as he brushes daily.. I want a happy medium but do not want hair breakage from it... What are your thoughts

Last edited:
If your producing that much oil that brushing will distribute oil down the strands, than you must surely not have 4az hair :nono:

If you have flakes on your scalp that can be addressed with treatments and a new regi.

If you have curls or kinks, excessive brushing will change your curl/kink pattern. It may also cause thinning and breakage if you have curls or kinks.

Brushing is good for certain hair types, not all.

I rarely do brushes even with freshly relaxed hair. It just pulls out hair to me no matter how soft the brush is . I will use it to lightly smooth my hair after wrapping which is for one week every three months and yo lightly brush my edges when trying to smooth my edges

I hardly ever brush my hair anymore!
And I don't comb my hair unless it's wet and I'm de-tangling with condish

Yeah I agree a healthy scalp shouldn't have flakes. Unless it's buildup or scalp issues

I was watching a segment in the doctors show... The dermatologist recommended daily brushing to distribute sebum and to loosen hair flakes

K - I'm gonna respond on this one.

I don't think its brushing, but daily scalp stimulation and perhaps combing with oils appropriate for your hair type are more important. First learned about this thur researching Japanese hair care

Back