BSL & Longer Naturals-Where does your shrunken hair fall?

thaidreams

These questions are for all BSL and LONGER NATURAL ladies:

1) What is your hair type?

2) What is your present length stretched?

3) Where does your hair fall on you in it's dry natural state?

4) What products do you find help you to retain your length the most?

I'm just wondering how much shrinkage the majority of you get with your hair being as long as it is. My hair type is 3C/4A and MBL when stretched. However, when it's dry or in it's shrunken state it hits right at my earlobe.

Interesting post...

I'm just wondering how much shrinkage the majority of you get with your hair being as long as it is. My hair type is 3C/4A and MBL when stretched. However, when it's dry or in it's shrunken state it hits right at my earlobe.

Whoa! Now THAT'S some shrinkage!!

truequeen06

3b/3c

MBL . . . almost WL

Somewhere between SL and APL

Daily cowashing has really helped me as well as coconut oil. I <3 coconut oil.

zzirvingj

4a/b

An inch or two past my brastrap.

When totally shrunken, chin length.

Good question...I find Giovanni Direct leave-in is good, so is aloe vera juice with glycerin. Castor oil or avocado butter are good for the ends of my hair. But I don't attribute length retention totally to products. Part of it is technique--dentangling gently, clarifying when needed, moisturizing versus protein treatments when needed, sleeping with a satin scarf, avoiding heat...all of these methods attribute to length retention for me.

Sounds like my hair, lol. I've actually been meaning to look into some methods for temporarily loosening the texture of my hair...I think there are some threads on methods such as coconut milk and lime? ...or yogurt? Anywho, I've learned to live with my shrinkage but it would be nice to be able to enjoy my hair in a shrunken state...but a "LONGER shrunken state" than what I currently have (if that makes any sense)....without having to texturize my hair.

(see answers above in blue) :drunk:

Cichelle

1) What is your hair type? 3b...I guess. :confused:

2) What is your present length stretched? somewhere between hip and tailbone

3) Where does your hair fall on you in it's dry natural state? It varies. Usually about midback, but sometimes a bit shorter or longer.

4) What products do you find help you to retain your length the most? N/A. I don't use any products for that purpose.

:)

malachi74

Grief!!! Are you sure you are 3c/4a??? How in the world can you get MBL shrunk up to earlobe length with 3c/4a curl pattern????

I know you asked for "BSL or Longer naturals" but my hair is now APL stretched and I am also 3c/4a. When in washngo it will sit right on top of my shoulders. Do you have a pic of your hair?

ETA: I just checked out your Fokti! Your hair is beautiful and thick and I can't believe you get that much shrinkage no matter what you grade your hair! I would say though, that maybe I am not a 3c/4a or that maybe you are more on the 4b/4c end.

Last edited:

vpoetic

1) What is your hair type? 4A/AB

2) What is your present length stretched?MBL

3) Where does your hair fall on you in it's dry natural state? If it's really curly it fall to my neck, but if I pull it down it fall to APL

4) What products do you find help you to retain your length the most? For me it's more about technique and making sure that my hair stay moisturize. I just tried the Redken smooth down and it works really good for me. it keeps in the curls but my hair isn't as frizzy, but it's good to change up products.

Last edited:

Dak

1) What is your hair type? 3C

2) What is your present length stretched? BSL newly flat-ironed.

3) Where does your hair fall on you in it's dry natural state? Slightly below my collarbone

4) What products do you find help you to retain your length the most? Deep conditioning with heat (Aveda DR) & Moisture Block by Sabino.

PinkSkates

) What is your hair type? 4A

2) What is your present length stretched? Between BSL and MBL.

3) Where does your hair fall on you in it's dry natural state? Neck length.

4) What products do you find help you to retain your length the most? Deep conditioning with heat (Aveda DR) & Moisture Block by Sabino. I do my best to use a balance of 30 % protein via Aveda Damage Remedy Intensive Treatment and 70 % moisture rich shampoos via Aveda DR shampoo, Aveda Smooth Infusion and Aubrey Organics HRS shampoo. And I treat my ends with EVCO every few days. And I drink a lot of water so my hair gets moisturized from the inside out.

P

Paradox

I have ALWAYS wondered this, thanks for starting this thread.

SEMO

1. I'm a 3c/4a
2. I am BSL stretched
3. In it's shrunken dry state my hair is about an inch above shoulder-length
4. For me, retaining length is all about retaining moisture in my hair. Dove Intense Moisture Conditioner is great for me.

I wish my hair was collar bone length unstretched and I think I will have to be MBL before that happens. Shrinkage is very irritating sometimes.

ETA: I plan to flat iron my hair in the next few days b/c I want to try a straight look for a bit and I want to see what my true length is. I haven't had my hair straightened in SO long.

Last edited:

JustKiya

1. I'm a 3c/4a
2. I am BSL stretched
3. In it's shrunken dry state my hair is about an inch above shoulder-length
4. For me, retaining length is all about retaining moisture in my hair. Dove Intense Moisture Conditioner is great for me.

I wish my hair was collar bone length unstretched and I think I will have to be MBL before that happens. Shrinkage is very irritating sometimes.

ETA: I plan to flat iron my hair in the next few days b/c I want to try a straight look for a bit and I want to see what my true length is. I haven't had my hair straightened in SO long.

Wow. That's AMAZING. I can't even imagine how thick your hair feels when it's all shrunken up!!!!! Just - amazing. That's some shrinkage, right there. :yep:

Did you reach your current shrunken length before you reached your current stretched length? Did that make sense? For example - was your hair an inch above shoulder shrunken when it was APL? Or was the shrunken length even shorter when your stretched length was shorter?

Sunshine0801

4 a/b

MBL, almost WL

My twist/braidouts are between SL and APL. I NEVER let my hair shrink up completely.

Glycerin and water help a lot with moisture. Sealing with something containing castor oil works well on my hair too. I really love Oyin's burnt sugar pomade right now.

I'm still looking for a DC to replace Kenra.

Isis77

Great Thread! I have always been curious about this too...

It seems everyone has different amounts of shrinkage, even amongst the same hair types. Does any one have pics?

Also OT: MekyakaKinkerbelle your hair in your siggy is Gaw-geous!!! :drool:

thaidreams

Wow. That's AMAZING. I can't even imagine how thick your hair feels when it's all shrunken up!!!!! Just - amazing. That's some shrinkage, right there. :yep:

Did you reach your current shrunken length before you reached your current stretched length? Did that make sense? For example - was your hair an inch above shoulder shrunken when it was APL? Or was the shrunken length even shorter when your stretched length was shorter?

My hair was about 2 inches higher up when I was APL. Maybe I don't have my hair type right in the back, but I know it's 3c in the front. It so strange that that part of my hair has a very loose curl pattern. Hardly any shrinkage there!

Thank you so much to everyone for the responses!

Last edited:

MrsQueeny

1) What is your hair type?4b with a little 4a here and there

2) What is your present length stretched?1 inch from my natural waist

3) Where does your hair fall on you in it's dry natural state?Barely shoulder length if that. Actually most of it is above that.

4) What products do you find help you to retain your length the most?Not products but mainly good hair care practices. Right now I am loving MT though and castor oil is my staple product

My answers are above. Q

Last edited:

SEMO

I understand what you're asking, and yes it did. My hair shrunken has felt like its been this length forever, just hovering around my shoulders. I know it's growing but when I wear it down it shrinks up to almost the same length it did a year ago and I know it's a lot longer now.

Fall 2007 vs. Fall 2008

It doesn't seem like much difference, but my hair is probably APL in the first pic and BSL in the second.

I was shocked the first time I reached behind my back to pull a curl and do a length check and realized I was at bra strap (I had to check that my bra strap was in the right place and hadn't slid up or something and deceiving me about the length).

ETA:
The real way I usually notice that my hair is growing (even if it feels like it's the same length shrunken) is that my ponytails feel weightier and more substantial. I can actually feel my ponytail getting heavier as my hair is getting longer.

Last edited:

ChocoKitty

3b/3c

WL

SL or less... :rolleyes:

Aphogee for Damaged Hair. My hair is fine so this stuff adds thickness and strength to my strands. In additon, I like pre- conditioning with yogurt (or coconut milk & lime) + honey. Gives my hair slip and extra moisture.

JustKiya

I understand what you're asking, and yes it did. My hair shrunken has felt like its been this length forever, just hovering around my shoulders. I know it's growing but when I wear it down it shrinks up to almost the same length it did a year ago and I know it's a lot longer now.

Fall 2007 vs. Fall 2008

It doesn't seem like much difference, but my hair is probably APL in the first pic and BSL in the second.

I was shocked the first time I reached behind my back to pull a curl and do a length check and realized I was at bra strap (I had to check that my bra strap was in the right place and hadn't slid up or something and deceiving me about the length).

ETA:
The real way I usually notice that my hair is growing (even if it feels like it's the same length shrunken) is that my ponytails feel weightier and more substantial. I can actually feel my ponytail getting heavier as my hair is getting longer.

Ahhh, that totally makes sense, thank you. In those pictures, you can tell that your hair is getting BIGGER, but it does look to be the same length. :lol: That actaually makes me feel a LOT better.

honeisos

1) What is your hair type? 3c

2) What is your present length stretched? BSL

3) Where does your hair fall on you in it's dry natural state? NL.. my coils are serious lol LOTS of shrinkage .. everytime i get my hair blown out .. people or amazed that it is BSL .. they are so used to seeing me with NL hair .
My goal is MBL so hopefully that will give my SL shrinkage hair .

4) What products do you find help you to retain your length the most? cantu and EQP 's feels like silk... moisture is the key for me ... my hair loves it , it would shrink up even more if I did not use "feels like silk " love that stuff

Last edited:

200AndOne

1) What is your hair type? 4a

2) What is your present length stretched? I haven't had my hair straigtened in a long time. I'm guessing the back is hovering somewhere between SL & APL - the top/sides, about chin length. The pic in my siggy is of my wet hair pulled back into a pony.

3) Where does your hair fall on you in it's dry natural state? TA - about 2 inches

4) What products do you find help you to retain your length the most? still searching :ohwell: right now i'm trying to adopt a 'less-is-more' approach - just using a little leave-in - either cantu or garnier sleek&shine and castor oil
(trying to be like Que :yep:)

OT: Semo :love: your hair too

SEMO

1) What is your hair type? 4a

2) What is your present length stretched? I haven't had my hair straigtened in a long time. I'm guessing the back is hovering somewhere between SL & APL - the top/sides, about chin length. The pic in my siggy is of my wet hair pulled back into a pony.

3) Where does your hair fall on you in it's dry natural state? TA - about 2 inches

4) What products do you find help you to retain your length the most? still searching :ohwell: right now i'm trying to adopt a 'less-is-more' approach - just using a little leave-in - either cantu or garnier sleek&shine and castor oil
(trying to be like Que :yep:)

OT: Semo :love: your hair too

Thank you for the compliment. :) :)