Building Trust in God

OhmyKimB

How did or do you build your trust in God? What are somethings that you went through and had to teach yourself ...especially if your a person who wants to control things in your life but knows that God needs to be in full control and you just need to trust him....How did you build this trust?

Nice & Wavy

How did or do you build your trust in God? What are somethings that you went through and had to teach yourself ...especially if your a person who wants to control things in your life but knows that God needs to be in full control and you just need to trust him....How did you build this trust?

The more time I spent with Him, the more I got to know Him and the more I was able to see that He will never, ever fail me.

In the last 20 years, I have seen God work in my life and I have learned to trust Him more than anyone else in this world.

It's called having a relationship with God. Spend more time with Him and learn of Him. You will find that you will not be ashamed...that's for sure!

janiebaby

I agree with Nice & Wavy. You have to spend time getting to know Him. You also have to be honest with God and this may seem easy but it is hard because we already know that God knows all so we don't feel the need to share everything with Him verbally because he "knows our heart". Well in the Bible God asked Adam and Eve where they were when they disobeyed Him and He already knew. When Cain killed Abel God asked Cain where was his brother and Abel's blood has already cried out to Him. God knows all but He does not want you to keep secrets from Him because when you do you give the enemy a chance to tempt you. God tests, the evil one tempts.

You also have to praise God even when you are angry with Him or you don't understand why God is letting bad things happen to you. I've taken something that my mom said to me once when I was a child when we were watching a sports player being interviewed by reporters. The man had an attitude and didn't want to speak to them and she said that when everything was going alright he loved the camera and couldn't wait to show his teeth but as soon as things started to go wrong he shunned it. If you can show your teeth going up then you better be able to show your teeth going down. The point is, if you can praise Him when everything is seemingly going right and you call it a "blessing" then you better be ready to praise Him when things are seemingly going wrong and be ready to call that a "blessing" as well.

Another thing, I always thought that for some reason God would speak to me in a thought after a prayer or maybe a dream but I have come to realize that God speaks to us through scripture as well. Whenever I study His Word and let Him guide my lesson plan, He always shows me what I need to improve on. When you study God's Word He isn't showing you someone else so that you can judge them, He's showing you you!

Oh and one more thing, lol, this is maybe the hardest....You have to surrender and stop trying to control how God carries out His will through you. You can't say, "I'm willing to do what you want me to do as long as you don't have me do _________". This kept me away for a long time because I was too scared to learn what God had in store for me. My suggestion to you is start small. Maybe ask God to soften your heart so that you can be more receptive to Him and eventually you'll start to build more trust as He fortifies you for what He has in store.

pearlygurl

You have to get to know him :yep: You can't trust somebody you don't know. I'm reminded of that old song that says "You can't make me doubt him, I know to much about him." The more time I spent with God praying and reading his word, the more I knew about Him (meaning His character). I realized that God loves me more than I could ever know and he would NEVER hurt me. Who couldn't trust somebody like that? :)

I was a person who felt like I had to be in control. When in reality, I was never really in control. In getting to know God, I realized that I have failed miserably at trying to control my life and that I needed help. Ask God to reveal himself to you so that you can truly trust him...he won't mind a bit :)

OhmyKimB

I really want to thank you ladies for your responses! A lot of ya'll sound like me (in ya'lls befores)! I just came off of a fast and I realized I have a strong faith in God and belief in his power. But I have trust issues.

Ironically my friend was talking to me about his trust issues (relationships) and I was sitting there listening and thinking glad I don't have those problems...turns out mine are either just as bad or worse. I put my trust in my friends and then when they can't do what I want or expect I get upset. But I won't like trust my mom cuz she's broken it or in my mind broken it. And I doubt God will carry out what I ask but don't stop to think if he doesn't it's for my own good or that now is not the time for it. So I end up doubting him too.

I was even getting ready to say I have a relationship with God and know him til I stopped and re-read all the responses and thought...well if I had that then I would trust him and would have no reason to be asking this question right now:nono:

Thank you ladies soo much for all of the help I'm going to try what some of you have suggested!

OhmyKimB

Oh and one more thing, lol, this is maybe the hardest....You have to surrender and stop trying to control how God carries out His will through you. You can't say, "I'm willing to do what you want me to do as long as you don't have me do _________". This kept me away for a long time because I was too scared to learn what God had in store for me. My suggestion to you is start small. Maybe ask God to soften your heart so that you can be more receptive to Him and eventually you'll start to build more trust as He fortifies you for what He has in store.

LOL this is my problem...but I'm like that with everything...if I decide I don't want to do it or like when I was learning to drive I don't understand what a specific person is saying to me...it's over.

dreamer26

As Nice and Wavy said, as you develop a relationship with God and then as he allow your faith to be tested, instead of giving up on him and running away, you stand in the midst of whatever he takes you through and allow him to bring you out and that's the only way you'll grow in your faith and trust in God.

It's not the good times that develope you, it's your test and trial that you go though and pass then God promotes you higher because you've trusted him in a particular area in your life.

The higher you go the harder the test but the greater the blessing.

SEMO

I agree with Nice & Wavy. You have to spend time getting to know Him. You also have to be honest with God and this may seem easy but it is hard because we already know that God knows all so we don't feel the need to share everything with Him verbally because he "knows our heart". Well in the Bible God asked Adam and Eve where they were when they disobeyed Him and He already knew. When Cain killed Abel God asked Cain where was his brother and Abel's blood has already cried out to Him. God knows all but He does not want you to keep secrets from Him because when you do you give the enemy a chance to tempt you. God tests, the evil one tempts.

What you said in the bolded really spoke to me. I am prone to doing this if I'm not careful.

shalom

I really like what NW, JanieB and Pearly said.

I would also like to add that for me trusting in the Lord came through the many trials and tribulation I've had in my life. There were times in my life when nobody was there or could even help....only Jesus. So naturally I spent all my time getting to know him not what he could do for me, but know him, loving him submitting to him. I'm not there like I feel I should be, but I know he knows I love him and I know he loves me.

Let go, he'll catch you.:yep:

firecracker

As Nice and Wavy said, as you develop a relationship with God and then as he allow your faith to be tested, instead of giving up on him and running away, you stand in the midst of whatever he takes you through and allow him to bring you out and that's the only way you'll grow in your faith and trust in God.

It's not the good times that develope you, it's your test and trial that you go though and pass then God promotes you higher because you've trusted him in a particular area in your life.

The higher you go the harder the test but the greater the blessing.
ITA with this post as well as the other ladies input. :yep:

Candygirl

Candygirl
I really like what NW, JanieB and Pearly said.

I would also like to add that for me trusting in the Lord came through the many trials and tribulation I've had in my life. There were times in my life when nobody was there or could even help....only Jesus. So naturally I spent all my time getting to know him not what he could do for me, but know him, loving him submitting to him. I'm not there like I feel I should be, but I know he knows I love him and I know he loves me.

Let go, he'll catch you.:yep:
Yes!!! This is so true!