By Request... TUTORIAL FOR FLAT IRONING TRANSITIONING/NATURAL HAIR! [Some Pix]

Awesome, pics!!!

Hey ladies! :wave:

Okay, so because of the overwhelming support I've received from my original thread (http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=316261), I've created a tutorial for what I use and do when I blow dry and flat iron my hair.

I don't have pictures of me blow drying my hair or flat ironing because I wasn't expecting such a response, but I'll try to see if I can get one together the next time I do my hair.

Disclaimer: This is what I do for me and MY hair. What I do for ME might not necessarily work for YOU. Also, for those who you who wonder what the constant heat has done to my hair, here are some comparison shots.

APRIL 2007
28u018h.jpg

DECEMBER 2008 (Includes a 1" inch I did after not trimming my hair since April of 2007.)
259hpjb.jpg

Also, I use the Sedu Original flat iron in 1.5" that looks like this:
Sedu-Ionic-Ceramic-Tourmaline_0D49073F-all%20stars%21-yellow.jpg

So let's begin!

WHAT YOU'LL NEED
A paddle brush (Picture of what I use is picture below)
Boar bristle round brush
Shea Butter (I use Nasaabs, and to make this more user friendly I microwave it for one minute so that it's liquified.)
Leave-in Conditioner (I use Lacio Lacio, prior to this I used NTM)
Biosilk
Sabino Moisture Block
Heat Protectorant (I use Paul Mitchell Heat Seal)
Blow Dryer, preferably with Ionic settings (I use some cheap Revlon brand because my previous one broke)
Flat Iron (I use and LOVE Sedu)

This is the brush I use:
1z6e89.jpg

BLOW DRYING TECHNIQUE
1. Once you finish washing your hair, part it into four sections and separate with duckbill clips. Use about a dime size amount of leave in, and shea butter (substitute this for the Sabino or Biosilk if you live in a humid area) and apply to each section of hair. Spray your heat protectorant down each section as well and comb through. I start from the back and take the blow dryer on a warm setting but on high power and run it along the shaft until the hair is a bit drier but just slightly damp. Take the brush and brush your hair while keeping the air on the section your brushing. Once it's dry, clip it back up and proceed onto the next section.

If you want your roots to be ultra straight prior to flat ironing, I would start by using the boar brush to pull the roots taut and run the blow dryer along the roots to straighten them out. Sometimes I do this, sometimes I don't, but because of my flat iron and technique, it doesn't make a difference in the overall outcome of my hair.

2. Once all four sections are done, turn the blow dryer on cool and run it through each section about twice. I've been told this is good for the hair, it's just become a part of my routine. I don't notice a difference when I do or don't do this.

FLAT IRON TECHNIQUE
If you're using a Sedu, I'd recommend the 320-360 setting.

1. Starting from the back, take a small section about 1/2" thick and 1" wide, and place the flat iron at the roots. I run it along the roots twice, and then once down the shaft. You should flick your wrist as you run the flat iron down the shaft if you want to create a bump. (I do but I also pincurl).

If you're using shea butter on your hair, you should only need to put the flat iron to your roots once, twice maximum. I keep the flat iron on my roots for about 3 seconds before running it smoothly down the rest of my hair. Continue to do this for each and every section until you're finished.

When you're done, it should look something like this:
25iot9w.jpg

11ac36r.jpg

Then I just pin curl my hair in six sections, which in the end turns out like this:

vpalxv.jpg

And when I take down my pin curls, it looks like this:
2dkkfh3.jpg

29lgqx0.jpg

wbb3eq.jpg

I hope this helps, again I'm sorry I didn't take pictures, at the time I didn't think it would be so requested! Next time I do this, I promise I'll try to put something more concrete together.

Great job, fantastic result’s. I shall definitely be saving this wonderful tutorial, thank you vivEz daNs lamouR.

ooh this is an awesome thread! it was bumped just in time! i am straightening my hair tomorrow and i'm using a blowdryer this time.

Can you please tell at what stage do you use the shea butter and how much do you use?
How do you prevent reversion?

Last edited:
Then I just pin curl my hair in six sections, which in the end turns out like this:

vpalxv.jpg

You're hair is gorgeous. I was just wondering if you ever have a problem with indentations in the hair from the pins. I've not mastered this completely so I was wondering if it makes a difference what kind of pins you use. It looks like you are using mini duck clips instead of bobby pins.

:thankyou:

I am 6 months post and I gave up hope thinking that I will ever be able to wear a straight hairstyle again! Thanks for giving me hope!

You're hair is gorgeous. I was just wondering if you ever have a problem with indentations in the hair from the pins. I've not mastered this completely so I was wondering if it makes a difference what kind of pins you use. It looks like you are using mini duck clips instead of bobby pins.

:thankyou:

Thank you :) I don't have indentations in the hair from the pins, I use mini duckbill clips instead of bobby pins (which, for me, DO leave indents).

Can you please tell at what stage do you use the shea butter and how much do you use?
How do you prevent reversion?

I use the shea butter just before I blow dry, and using the Biosilk and/or Sabino helped me prevent reversion.

Beautiful hair - your progress is fabulous and inspiring!

I'm going to be going to a big event next month and I'll be deep into my stretch so I'll use your regi. I love the fact that the hair is straight but with pretty tousled curls, it's a great look!

thanks for the tutorial. I kind of use the same technique as you described except for the fact that, instead of blowdrying, i put rollers and dry with my bonnet hair dryer. I found that my hair was more moisturised that way and my roots were straighter prior to flat ironing.

Can you explain a bit more about your pin curls? I've been trying to learn how and it seems amazing that you got so much body from your bumped hair with only *6* pin curls.
Where exactly do you place your pin curls? it looks like 2 at the back and 3 in the front?
which way (direction) do you curl your pin curls?
what technique do you use to make them (ex: wind them around your fingers) ?

Can you explain a bit more about your pin curls? I've been trying to learn how and it seems amazing that you got so much body from your bumped hair with only *6* pin curls.
Where exactly do you place your pin curls? it looks like 2 at the back and 3 in the front?
which way (direction) do you curl your pin curls?
what technique do you use to make them (ex: wind them around your fingers) ?

LovelyBwonderful

My process now has changed just slightly - I do four pin curls now instead of six. So I usually do two pin curls in the front and I'll do two more at the back with my hair sectioned into four; for more body, I'll do around six.

I place two pin curls at the front of my head, one on the right and one on the left. I pull the hair taut, and then I physically take the ends of my hair and form one full circle. Depending on how tight or loose you want the curl, you'll either make a small circle or a big one. Take that circle, and just keep repeating the same motion.. roll into another circle so that eventually you wind up with the circle of hair at your scalp. I hold my curls down using duckbill clips because I feel like with bobby pins they almost flatten your curl and cause dents.

When I'm done, the curl usually looks like this

0.jpg

The difference is that her hair in the front for ME could've been wound one more time so that it's instead positioned right in the center of her forehead. When I do that, once my hair comes out it creates a nice bumped fall.

I changed to four pin curls once my bangs got longer because I like more of the tousled look with my layers. Four curls gives me more of this result:

541826_766091414855_283465267_n.jpg

What I can do once I straighten my hair again is give a more updated pic tutorial. :yep: I'm on a heat hiatus for six months but I will straighten once the weather cools down.

Thanks for bumping this it's beautiful
Wow Shea butter , I'll have to try that one day

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Back