BYE BYE MARVIN...HELLO MARCIA My Consultation

Pumpkin

I scheduled a consultation with Marcia for yesterday at 6pm. I went with my sister, but when I got
there I was told Marcia left early because she was feeling ill. I wanted to cry and cry. Don't worry, she did leave
a message on my answering machine but I never checked it (my bad). The receptionist and another stylist did their
best to consult me and they checked out my hair. Their verdict was that my hair is dry, but thick. They also said
my left side was indeed thinning...don't know why Marvin didn't see this. However since I have taken Nioxin FB the problem
has gotten much better. They took one look at my hair and asked when I got a touch-up. I told them 3 weeks ago and they
were shocked because it looked more like 8 weeks. I was there for a bit, but got re-scheduled for another consult
WITH Marcia for the next morning. I didn't mind and I really liked the atmosphere of the salon. Although there was a
misunderstanding, the staff really tried to make sure I didn't leave unhappy. Also, my sister felt bad for me and took me
out to dinner :grin

So this morning I went to see Marcia and let me tell you she is the nicest beautician I ever met. She seems so humble and
she LISTENS!. She too said my relaxer was not applied properly because my hair should not look the way it does. She also
disagreed about using a uniform relaxer for all clients. She said although Mizani works for some people, it's just not for me so
she will be using Affirm. I asked her about trimming every relaxer and she said it depends on the person's hair. THere is no need
for EVERYONE to trim every relaxer because everyone's ends are different. I told her I rarely wear my hair down and sleep with a
silk pillowcase and she said every 3 months for a trim (granted there is no damage) will be fine. She recommended Cream of Nature
shampoo and something called Mermaid conditioner. I forgot to ask her about protein condit because I was feeling really ill today.
She told me I need hot oil treatments to moisturize my hair and said seeing Dominicans or just doing it myself was fine since I am short
on cash. I really liked her and scheduled an appt for June 21st for a touch up. I was worried about over-lapping and she said 1) she
watches for overlapping and bases already relaxed hair carefully and 2) since Marvin did not do a good job, my roots would not be
overprocessed.

Marcia does EVERYTHING by herself with no assistant. So when I am paying big buck$ my money will be well spent. When I walked in
she was washing someone's hair and I watched. It took awhile which is good because she paid close attention to the woman's hair
which as shoulder-blade length and heatly looking. Also she put her under the dryer for a deep treatment after her relaxer (something
Marvin NEVER did).

All in all I am happy and can't wait to get a touch-up. She is really easy to speak to and makes a lot of small talk with her clients which
is good because I hate sitting in a chair and having someone do my hair but not speak to me. She said my hair is fine and it's a good thing
I take care of it on my own.

I will keep you updated.

Thank you BRH and Atate

Kitkat

Marcia sounds like the dream hairdresser! Your experience there sounds great, and it's the kind of treatment we should all get from hairdressers when we're paying the big bucks. I like her notion that one relaxer isn't appropriate for everyone. I suspect she'll get more business from this board because of your raves and those of BRH, too. And it sounds like she deserves it.

Do you know whether the deep conditioner is included in the price of the relaxer? Most places charge extra for them.

Tracy

Marcia really is VERY nice.

I've never had my hair done by her but when I went with BRH she answered ALL of my 21 questions
and never batted an eyelash.

She really is a superior stylist. Just the way she handled BRH's hair made that apparent. And she's not weird at all about you going to other stylists - again I asked and she never looked at all pissed or smug or....anything...

Sweet as pie. If I had it I'd give her my money just because she's takes wonderful care of the hair and she's NICE....

BTW - Mermaid IS a protein conditioner. It contains marine protein. Quite a bit too. Follow with a moisturizing conditioner. But it is QUITE good. I used to use it all the time.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I am so happy for you. I know it's a great thing when you finally find someone that you can trust. Please update us on your appointment for the 21st.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Mermaid is one of the few "store bought" conditioners my grandmother used. It must be good!
She was using mayonnaise long before it was cool. I still see Mermaid at Sally's next to the Wella Kolesterol.

pooh123

[ QUOTE ]
I am so happy for you. I know it's a great thing when you finally find someone that you can trust. Please update us on your appointment for the 21st.

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO. I can't wait to hear your results from your visit. Sounds like Marcia is a winner!!
pooh123

Pumpkin!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so glad you finally met Marcia. I knew you'd be fine with her. She's the best in my opinion that I've ever come across. I was just chatting with Atate today and her hair is lovely too, another regular customer of Marcia. We were both saying how we've noticed that no one can get our hair as swinging and conditioned as Marcia. Plus she's really nice. ps, It is nice that she does your hair too from start to finish too.

Let me know how it goes for your appointment; You'll be in v. good hands

Kitkat

NYCity, I remember BRH saying that Marcia's salon is in the West 70s. Hopefully BRH will see your question and post the exact location.

Ellin La Var salon is on West 72nd street and columbus avenue. Take the 1 2 or 9 train to 72nd and walk east along 72nd. Salon is 2nd floor approx half way or more down the block. There is a Ricky's diagonally opposite to the salon.

I don't have their biz card with me at home.

NYCchild

Can I say "Oh happy day....."

Pumpkin im so happy for ya - and of course ya know - good rid.. ta Marvin
- yeah!!

She really does sound like the perfect dream hairdresser. I love humbleness not haughty-ness like Mr. Marvin.
I cant wait to hear how your relaxer goes. i think ima have to go get my touch up wit her too.
my last was on april 26th and i normally do it every 8 or 12 weeks.

The mermaid cond. it very very good and the shampoo too. ive been using them since 1995. that cond. will revive any dry, dead hair i tell ya
so.. go for it. i only have about a tablespoon left or else id put it in the mail for ya!

well girlie, good going, fa real - thanks atate and brh

azul11

omg I AM SO GLAD I READ THIS POST!!
I just got a wash and set friday at this new salon and i loved how my hair came out. it came out how my touchup was supposed to come out. soft and swinging. But i was worried because this underprocessed hair is getting on my nerves and i dont want to go back to the same place and get it done and have it looked messed up again. this is the SECOND time i have went to the same salon and got the same woman who underprocessed my hair both times. the first time i thought it was the relaxer (motions oil) but now i think its just her. everyone who comes in there has long healthy looking hair but this last time she did a number on me burns(still have some
) and my scalp was so sore i couldnt even comb it or even finger comb without wincing. now its better but i am desperate to find someone else.

this seriously gives me hope. i mean i feel like i keep getting put in the hands of people who jack up my hair or dont listen to me or just do whatever they feel no matter what. and i'm a bit miffed if they gave someone a deep condition after their relaxer when i was told at the salon that i went to that it was bad for my scalp after i get a relaxer.

the salon further down i saw them use mizani(i believe it was no lye because i saw her mixing it but i could be wrong) and when she washed the lady out she put her under the dryer with a conditioner. i didnt see the end result but i like that place and will return for wash and sets. so hopefully i will find a place to get touchups.

YOu guys dont understand how depressing it is. I like seeing the pics of people doing well with their hair and having it look silky and swinging but i do feel a pang because my hair should look like that. and when you keep paying people money and your hair looks like a mess you get upset. sorry this is so long winded but this gives me hope. i am so surprised i never noticed the salon because i frequent rickys on 72. anywho i hope to hear how it goes and maybe there may be some hope for me.

OH AND WHAT IS MERMAID AND WHERE CAN YOU FIND IT. MY HAIR FINALLY LOOKS GOOD AFTER MY WASH AND SET AND I WANT TO KEEP IT HEALTHY. WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE?
God bless you all.

Jenai

Way to go Pumpkin! Congrats on the new stylist. I'm glad you got away from Marvin. It seemed as if he was dong nothing but causing you to have stress over the condition of your hair. Shame on him.

Go Marcia!

KinksnCurlz

Hey Pumpkin... now you got me siked b/c my appt. (consultation) is scheduled for june 12 and my touch-up june 14th. I cannot wait to go now since she seems to b a really nice person. im sure ill b singing her praises when im done too ;-).

atate

Wow! I am so happy that you got a chance to meet her. Her techinques and skills are unmatched by others. Marcia will take good care of you and your hair. She is a great hairdresser.

I have an appt. with her this Saturday and I can't wait. I love my own home-hair do's. But Marcia really makes my hair look and feel great. I am happy you found her! Let us all know how your next appt goes.

Paris Belle

Pumpkin, I'm extremely happy for you..Sounds like a great place and a great stylist.

That Mermaid condr sounds interesting..I'll look for that (look at the PJ in me...LOL)..