BYOR? Bringing your own relaxer products to the salon

pyxis777

Hey ladies,

Do any of you bring your own relaxer products to the salon? I have decided to go from natural to relaxed in '06, but I'm paranoid about the products that they will be using on my hair. I am worried that they won't use enough of the protectants and neutralizers if they're using their own products. Has anyone had any experience with this? I want to bring in the Affirm Lye mild 4 step process that I would buy online. Thanks!

SparklingFlame

You know, back when I was still relaxing I often thought about bringing my oroducts to the salon for the stylist to use but I never could muster up the guts. You know how WE are! I think that if you do bring your own stuff, he/she should give you a discount. I think its a good idea to do it. After all, it is YOUR hair!

SweetCaramel1

hi! i've never done it before but i think it's a great idea. i would definitely have a 5-10 minute conversation with the stylist PRIOR to making an appointment about your needs, likes and concerns. also to make sure they are ok with it. many stylists think they know everything. communication is very important.

pyxis777

LOL. That's my problem. I'm a people pleaser. But I've been burned too many times (litterally) so I'm really considering this. I figure I will call them next week and ask what their policy is on that.

BAILEYSCREAM

pyxis777 said:
Hey ladies,

Do any of you bring your own relaxer products to the salon? I have decided to go from natural to relaxed in '06, but I'm paranoid about the products that they will be using on my hair. I am worried that they won't use enough of the protectants and neutralizers if they're using their own products. Has anyone had any experience with this? I want to bring in the Affirm Lye mild 4 step process that I would buy online. Thanks!

Yep. when I used to go to the salon to get my hair texturized I used to take my own texturizer....I haven't been to a salon in almost two years now and I have reverted to doing my own touch-ups again.

But I know what you mean about some of them not using enough product on your hair or cutting corners because they've run out of a step etc

You can go into a salon you're interested in using and ask....sometimes they will use your products, and sometimes they won't....If they won't I would just take my custom elsewhere.

Last edited:

Godsway

Before I found this board I went into the hair salon totally blind. I didnt know what they were using on my hair. After this site I couldnt go back to that. I was in the x-mas stretch club and went into my salon today with all of my own products. I brought my own relaxer, neutralizer, shampoo, moisturizing conditioner (told her I wanted to be deep conditoned) and my own setting lotion!!! It was a wonderful experience for me because I knew what I wanted going into the salon and thats what I got. I suggest taking in your own products. With this site we can take control of our hair like never before!!!!!!

I took my own relaxer to the stylist for years. I thought it was a pretty good thing until she suggested that I switch to the store brand (i still don't know what it is yet) because it would make my hair softer and more shiny. She was right. My stylist always makes good choices for me. :)

nissi

Dominican stylists have no problem with you bringing your own perm. As for "our" people, ask them if they have the brand you use, and if they say no, then offer to bring it...HHG!

caligirl

I always bring my own shampoo and conditioner. I have a lotta hair and I can not afford to have them use a teaspoon of conditioner on me. The other customers look at me like I'm crazy though.

HairPhoenix

I haven't ever taken my own products to a salon. But my aunt has gone to my stylist with me and she brought her own product. I did ask my stylist beforehand, while I was scheduling our appointments, and she was okay with that arrangement. My aunt has very fine hair (like cotton), so most of the relaxers and texturizers in the professional strengths are too strong for her hair.

We were a little surprised that my stylist did not give a discount. Perhaps a discount is something that you may be able to negotiate, depending on who you are dealing with.

vickiepickles

All About Me!
nissi said:
Dominican stylists have no problem with you bringing your own perm. As for "our" people, ask them if they have the brand you use, and if they say no, then offer to bring it...HHG!

Talking about "our" people, this salon that I used to go to, notice that I used to go there, would talk about and laugh at people who brought their own stuff in. That just made me mad. Those people were paying them and not the other way around.

On the other hand, I have heard the argument that the reason some don't like you to bring in your own product is because that is not a line that they can vouch for or will be responsible for if there is damage to your hair.

Last edited:

pyxis777

My salon said that they don't let people bring in their own relaxers :(
However my stylist was not in. She's going to call me back. Maybe I can still bring in my own shampoos and conditioners?

I'm definitely going to ask her all the steps that she will take to ensure that I am not burned and the relaxer takes. I'm going to ask her about the protecto, 5n1, and preservo steps.

I guess at least if I ask her all of these questions, she will get the idea that I'm super paranoid about this transition to relaxing and take extra care with my hair... :ohwell:

I plan to stretch at least 10 weeks, which should give me a chance to look for another salon...

balisi

vickiepickles said:
Talking about "our" people, this salon that I used to go to, notice that I used to go there, would talk about and laugh at people who brought their own stuff in. That just made me mad. Those people were paying them and not the other way around.

On the other hand, I have heard the argument that the reason some don't like you to bring in your own product is because that is not a line that they can vouch for or will be responsible for if there is damage to your hair.[/QUOTE]

I have heard this as well. Has to do with liability insurance.

It would seem to me that any discount offered would be small because it still takes the stylist time and expertise to apply the product.

rai

pyxis777 said:
My salon said that they don't let people bring in their own relaxers :(
However my stylist was not in. She's going to call me back. Maybe I can still bring in my own shampoos and conditioners?

I'm definitely going to ask her all the steps that she will take to ensure that I am not burned and the relaxer takes. I'm going to ask her about the protecto, 5n1, and preservo steps.

I guess at least if I ask her all of these questions, she will get the idea that I'm super paranoid about this transition to relaxing and take extra care with my hair... :ohwell:

I plan to stretch at least 10 weeks, which should give me a chance to look for another salon...

If you plan on switching salons, then I suggest that you wait to perm your hair and find a salon and a stylist that you like that will let you bring your own products. This way you won't have to switch relaxers on your hair.

I am natural, but I bring my own conditioner and hair pomades to be used in my hair. My stylist does not give me a discount (she said that the stuff is included in her price). Even if I wash my hair myself and just let her twist it, she still charges the same price because the "wash" is included. But I'm okay with that. I like the way she twists. Plus, I feel better using my products because I know the quality is better (she uses alot of petroleum products).

pyxis777

rai said:
If you plan on switching salons, then I suggest that you wait to perm your hair and find a salon and a stylist that you like that will let you bring your own products. This way you won't have to switch relaxers on your hair.

I am natural, but I bring my own conditioner and hair pomades to be used in my hair. My stylist does not give me a discount (she said that the stuff is included in her price). Even if I wash my hair myself and just let her twist it, she still charges the same price because the "wash" is included. But I'm okay with that. I like the way she twists. Plus, I feel better using my products because I know the quality is better (she uses alot of petroleum products).

For me the BYOR/BYOProducts is more about the hair care and less about the price.

I want to bring in Affirm products which are the same ones that they are going to use on my hair. I'm just afraid that they won't use enough of the conditioners, shampoos or even the base on my head. Like I said, I'm very paranoid. My stylist is good, but I don't know if they know enough about hair care for my tastes - brushing it when it's wet (not hard), hot marcell irons, a burnt smell when they press my hair, alcohol based sprays (though not a lot)... Typical stuff. I have never known stylists that have done anything different... which probably explains why my hair hasn't gotten very long.

I decided to go ahead with the relaxer at my current place b/c I don't know what I can do as an alternative. I can't wash my hair on my own b/c I can't press my own hair. Therefore, if I wait any longer on the relaxer, I'll have to get it washed and pressed by them or someone else. The relaxer will at least allow me to be able to work with it on my own. My hair is all natural, so I don't have to worry about overlap - just general processing time and scalp burns...

She said that she would relax it and would give me a roller set so that I didn't have as much heat on my hair after the relaxer.

Last edited:

BobbieDoll

nissi said:

ITA. I did this today and they didn't have any problems, I forgot that I bought some conditioner and the stylist said "you got conditioner mami?" I don't think that would have happened in any other salon. They didn't give me a discount though.