Calling all 4b's relaxed

lshevonne

Calling all 4b\'s relaxed

Are there any 4b ladies that get touch-ups every 12 weeks? If so, how do you manage without any breakage? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Peachtree

Re: Calling all 4b\'s relaxed

Hey lshevonne
Well, I don't know if my situation counts, but I touch-up my hair anywhere between 16-24 weeks. For the last 3 touch-ups, I've been at 20 weeks.

As far as breakage...To be quite honest, I just try to manipulate the hair as less as possible. My hair doesn't really start to break until 24 weeks. I can attribute this to my regular usage of Motions CPR shampoo/conditioner. My hair really looooves this protein product.

Hope This Helps,
God Bless,
Peachtree

keylargo

i have to put my hair in braids because i can't deal with it after 6 weeks.

motherof2

I agree with keylargo. After 5 or 6 weeks, I have to put my hair in braids because it's very difficult to deal with.

Dionne

I get breakage past 6 weeks but I have been going longer than that thinking it was better but now when I see how much hair I need to cut of in order to get it healthy agian it wasn't worth it.

Kitkat

I have stretched out the relaxer to 8 weeks, but that's as far as I can go & quite a milestone for me. I don't get breakage at that point, but I would if I tried to go beyond that point and my hair is impossible to deal with after that. I can't even imagine 12 weeks. I'd like to try the curl activator method that Adrienne shared with us to see if it would make a difference. But I'm not an advocate of stretching out my touch up time because I don't see the benefit for me. In my opinion, if I need a touch up, I'm getting one.

Hey, I figure 8 weeks is better than every 4 weeks, which was my routine when I used no lye relaxers.

pmichael52172

I can't go that long... I tried and learned my lesson... because of this and a couple of other things, I will be getting my hair cut in a bob in a couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to it.

I can't go any longer to 7-7.5 weeks.

Remember what works for one may not for the other...even if it seems that the hair types are the same.... they can still differ in their response to techniques, products and so on.

Honi

There is no board.

Funny how I stumbled onto this one as I was daydreaming about it last night.
I don't know how far along I am but I can tell you my roots are mad poofy right now. I have about an inch of new growth (for 2003 i'm gonna start tracking touchups via calendar). Usually I would start to see some sort of breakage this far into it but...anywho, I noticed less breakage this time around and I was wondering if it could have been the super protein treatment with Aphogee I used a few weeks ago. I also moisturize the roots, length and ends daily with my Elucence, water and Aphogee EFA oil mixture and never comb/detangle dry hair and new growth without it. Could protein treatments curtail breakage thereby allowing you to go longer between touchups? What do you think?

nita4

Hi Lshevonne, I remember asking this question not to long ago. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I'm going 13 weeks, I think that is my limit. I want to stretch it out to 16, but I don't know...right now I'm on week 10.

After week 8 I stop the wet sets and do updos. I extend my relaxer touchups by managing my new growth with a moisturizing spray. I like glycerine and water, but anything that doesn't itch your scalp will do. I finger part my hair and spray my new growth daily, morning and evening, massage it in and pin my hair up. I keep my edges and ends soft with a little shea butter. I tie my hair after combing and it keeps my edges down. I do this until touch up time. When my hair gets a little longer I will be able to do braid/twist outs where I'm not looking like buckwheat /images/graemlins/grin.gif I don't manipulate my hair a lot. I have also found that conditioner washes help to soften my new growth along with eliminating tangles and breakage during this time. I don't experience alot of breakage because I keep my hair moist at the scalp. HTH

lshevonne

Wow..
Thanks Ladies
I'm at 8 wks now and my hair is crying for a touch-up. I think I'll do it tonight or tomorrow. What a way to bring in the new year. I've been using the activator on my new growth to help keep it moisturized and soft and yes it's been working. I think I have more new growth this time around. If I could only just leave my hair alone. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

nita4

You are welcome. The only reason I go so long is because initially I had to go 10 weeks before my stylist would touch my damaged hair. Also, I am gradually trimming away my no-lye ends. It was hard the first time. But now it isn't so bad and doesn't really bother me. I got most of my ideas on taking care of my new growth from the natural ladies (Thanks y'all)!! I just don't care to put that relaxer in my head to many times and I want at least an inch before I touch up. I got this idea from Lisa Akbair's (sp) book.

Whatever you decided, the best to you. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Have a blessed and prosperous New Year. /images/graemlins/grin.gif